Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

[Yellow] Another development on the escapeable Viridian Forest trainer - Page 1

[Yellow] Another development on the escapeable Viridian Forest trainer

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2014-06-20 15:28:11
I've been a lurker here and on many other glitch sites for many years (since ~2002, when 256k ADSL was a luxury, everyone played some form of Game Boy during break times in elementary school that lasted 30 minutes in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon, people asking to borrow my cable as it was the only one with the Color/Advance mode switch, we even managed to do 4-player berry blending in R/S, … good times :D )

Anyway, yesterday I found a video highlighting this trainer in Viridian Forest who can be used to potentially catch a level 100 with no badges and the author forgot to mention he's a Yellow exclusive… but the novelty is what he did afterwards.

All tutorials I've read would claim that at this point the only unbeaten trainer outside Viridian Forest could be the optional battle with your rival. (What about the one in Brock's gym?)

The allegedly new finding is that while triggering the guy that drags you to the Pewter Gym does not immediately release the controls like the 2nd trainer would normally do, it's sufficient to trigger the battle with the Special-determined opponent!

This video I poorly made >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGn6RnKG5pA< should have all the key details in the description including a link to the original video I mentioned, feel free to ask for any further details if you don't find it very clear :)

Re: [Yellow] Another development on the escapeable Viridian Forest trainer

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-22 05:52:02
Welcome to the forums! That's cool. I joined GCL in 2006, but can't remember doing much lurking. Some of the oldbies here may remember 'ancestors' of this site and the unrelated website Pokeglitch, but I don't know if any of them started in 2002.

What other glitch sites were around in 2002?

Anyway, yesterday I found a video highlighting this trainer in Viridian Forest who can be used to potentially catch a level 100 with no badges and the author forgot to mention he's a Yellow exclusive… but the novelty is what he did afterwards.

Actually, you can get a level 100 Pokémon with no badges in Pokémon Red and Blue too. Though there is no long range Trainer at the forest in Pokémon Red and Blue, you're able to get a wild encounter on the final Bug Catcher and black out. (video)

The allegedly new finding is that while triggering the guy that drags you to the Pewter Gym does not immediately release the controls like the 2nd trainer would normally do, it's sufficient to trigger the battle with the Special-determined opponent!

This video I poorly made >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGn6RnKG5pA< should have all the key details in the description including a link to the original video I mentioned, feel free to ask for any further details if you don't find it very clear :)

This is cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-06-22 06:43:34
(Somehow related) What if you have never fought any battles before doing the glitch (i.e. skipping the rival's fight in the lab in some way)? Which Pokemon would you encounter when you get back to the escaped map?

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-06-22 12:06:29
You'd probably not encounter a Pokemon (start menu would Pop Up and that's all that would happen).

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-06-22 14:13:19
Something I remember trying was using the PC's switch box to save the game.  Then reseting, and you can open the menu again.  But you still have some of the long-range trainer effects.  If I remember correctly, you can't actualy enter a battle propperly at this point, but instead it gave me a glitch text box.  I think I also talked to the guy that walks you around, so basicly the same steps as this except I saved with the PC beforehand. 

I'm going to try to do this again and post a video (I tried to video this a long time ago but it didn't really work at that time).

EDIT: Video at http://youtu.be/oeu603ZUXjw.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2014-06-23 15:58:32

Welcome to the forums! That's cool. I joined GCL in 2006, but can't remember doing much lurking. Some of the oldbies here may remember 'ancestors' of this site and the unrelated website Pokeglitch, but I don't know if any of them started in 2002.

What other glitch sites were around in 2002?

Maybe I just misestimated…
"Prof. Glitch" hosted on some "nemesis" domain is the earliest I remember of those.

Actually, you can get a level 100 Pokémon with no badges in Pokémon Red and Blue too. Though there is no long range Trainer at the forest in Pokémon Red and Blue, you're able to get a wild encounter on the final Bug Catcher and black out.

If you look carefully in my video, I savestated just before walking to the trainer… because in the previous attempt I got into a wild battle in that exact moment, but trying to intentionally repeat it (on real hardware) doesn't sound THAT fun :)

You'd probably not encounter a Pokemon (start menu would Pop Up and that's all that would happen).

Very likely, same as if you just power cycled… unless something weird is done when various variables are reset as you choose New Game?

Something I remember trying was using the PC's switch box to save the game.  Then reseting, and you can open the menu again.  But you still have some of the long-range trainer effects.

The only thing I clearly remember is using the PC-to-save trick to defeat the gambler closest to Lavender while flying from the underground tunnel one, the game turned very laggy afterwards and crashed if you approached the group of 4 trainers in the middle of the route…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-06-23 16:33:32

The only thing I clearly remember is using the PC-to-save trick to defeat the gambler closest to Lavender while flying from the underground tunnel one, the game turned very laggy afterwards and crashed if you approached the group of 4 trainers in the middle of the route…

For your reference we have a wiki article about that effect, but it isn't too detailed. Hope you find it useful.