Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Completely free unattainable items on emulator? - Page 1

Completely free unattainable items on emulator?

Posted by: Tempbro
Date: 2014-07-02 19:09:58
Um, so I'm playing Pokémon Red on emulator, and when I came to the Celadon City Department Store, the guy on the second floor to the left is selling all sorts of items COMPLETELY FOR FREE that shouldn't be buyable in game. The game itself I downloaded from Coolrom.com, as the emulator was also. What is this, why is it happening, and will it crash my game? I looked around online and nowhere is the canoe even mentioned, I tried it and it's basically surf, which is sweet because I don't have that ability yet. I also bought 99 master balls.

Of less importance, the guy on the right is selling the wrong TMs: TM06, 08, 14, 16, 21, 25, 26, 29, and 34. I haven't gone upstairs yet. I'm pretty sure the store's stock was different the last time I came here.

Help?

Re: Completely free unattainable items on emulator?

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-07-02 19:16:13
The rom is probably hacked. Years ago the first Pokémon Red ROM I downloaded (which was also from Coolroom) had me playing as Oak, the "professor" was Mr. Fuji, and Missingno's name was "CHEATER!!.". I had the same issue with another GBC ROM I downloaded (don't remember which). You'd better get it elsewhere (I usually get my ROMs from emuparadise.me, but idk if they offer GBC ROMs).

Also, remember not to ask or link ROMs here, it's against the rules.

Date: 2014-07-02 19:27:49
It seems weird that this specific location would do this, when everywhere else I've looked is normal? Is it standard practice for hacked roms to change the game in such a minor way?

Date: 2014-07-02 19:33:30
Also, what about the canoe? Is it a part of the game, or a hack?

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-07-02 19:40:29
Maybe they changed something else also? I also remember of a rom supposedly unhacked (not sure if it's that one specifically) had random wild pokémon at a house (don't remember which one specifically, I think it was the burgled house), which some of them being level 0. I'm 95% sure it's a minor hack and not an emulator issue. Also, my ROM's CRC32 is 9F7FDD53 (you can see that in Winrar is the ROM is zipped).

NPedit: canoe? The game has a ship, but not a canoe.

Date: 2014-07-02 20:19:55
Hmm. Okay, thank you! I'm keeping my masterballs though, and probably exploit glitches since I feel cheated.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-07-02 21:40:04

Also, what about the canoe? Is it a part of the game, or a hack?

Both.  There's a glitch item named "?????" (or something like that) in the regular game that lets you surf.  It's hex 07, I think.

So basically they just hacked an item's name. 

As others mentioned, emuparadise doesn't seem to have this issue.  If you download a new rom from there, you should be able to keep your save data if you name it the same thing.