Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow glitch item: Lg - - Page 1

Pokemon Yellow glitch item: Lg -

Posted by: rortik
Date: 2014-07-04 12:14:41
I was messing around with "p PkMn p' ' " in Pokemon Yellow, resetting my game and changing what item was in the 5th slot to see what items I got. This was all done through a cartridge, with no GameShark used.

For all who don't know, p PkMn p' ' can be encountered in Yellow by using the Mew Glitch with a special stat of 194, or if you just feel like cheating the hex is C2.

When I used a Super Rod as my item to glitch, I received an item called "Lg[glitch-char.]-"

This item has some odd effects when used, and while at first I  figured it was useless, it turns out it actually has some use. Not in glitching, but if you were to use it when actually playing the game as normal. When you use it out of battle, the game freezes for a few seconds. Originally I thought it froze, but eventually it unfroze, closed the items menu, and momentarily flashed my sprite blank then brought it back. When I tried to move, Pikachu stayed behind, the game moved rather jerkily, and Red's walking sprite was replaced with letters…

IJ
KL
if moving right,

JI
LK (all 4 mirrored) if moving left,

AB
CD if going down,

and
EF
GH if moving up.

Entering a route moves Pikachu behind you again, but he still doesn't move. Entering a building returns walking to normal, but doesn't fix Pikachu. Talking to Pikachu at any point will end all the glitch effects. Talking to anyone else fixes the glitch except that Pikachu doesn't walk next to Red anymore. He stays where he was and (more or less) mimics your movements from there. Entering a building fixes this.

This is interesting, and I'd like to learn a bit more about it, but it's not the useful part.

If used in a wild battle, the battle ends, the screen glitches out, and the battle music stays on. Red is invisible and immobile, but opening the Pokemon menu and closing it fixes this. You can walk around as normal, but the map is all weird. Entering a building fixes everything except the fact that I can't seem to run into any wild Pokemon anymore. Something's telling me it just increased my Repel steps to like 65535 or something. I wouldn't save with that one :P

Again, interesting, worth looking into more, but still not particularly useful.

But when you use it in a trainer battle, it temporarily glitches out then proceeds to restart the battle from the beginning. And yes, you retain all xp and stat xp you gained, making it really useful for power training stat xp (for anyone who actually does competitive Gen I battles on the actual cartridge anymore).

So anyway I thought I'd share what I've found. Kinda doubt it's new information, but maybe you guys can tell me if there's anything else this item can do and any explanations as to why it's happening…

Re: Pokemon Yellow glitch item: Lg -

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-04 12:59:09
Yeah, Lg - isn't actually new. But good work on finding it yourself.

See this thread. I think more people know it from MissingnoXpert's video. I also have a video of it here that was uploaded about three months before MissingnoXpert's video.

Posted by: Kelvinv
Date: 2014-07-04 14:06:38
Rather weird that ws m was considered just a freezing item

Date: 2014-07-04 15:24:30

Rather weird that ws m was considered just a freezing item

I don't think that's weird, it just wasn't studied enough.

But it's understandable that someone may make that assumption because a lot of valid items always have two uses, outside of battle and in battle effects, with exceptions including Bicycle, Repels.

People need to watch out for the 'relevance paradox', though how common it's important is debatable. Without looking deeper into things (in this case checking the pointer and seeing what is there) you risk making an incorrect generalization without realizing it.

Empirical research is not fully objective, it's only objective for one's circumstances.

Date: 2014-07-04 15:32:04
I consider it weird because when the real effect was accessed it was immediately the most powerful item in the games.

Date: 2014-07-04 15:38:35

I consider it weird because when the real effect was accessed it was immediately the most powerful item in the games.

Ah, I get you now.

8F was thought to 'do nothing', ha ha. I find that very ironic because it can do far from nothing.

Date: 2014-07-04 15:49:24
I wonder if there ever will be a item that allows you to edit a game you are linked to.