Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

CoolTrainer (and non hex:00 Super Glitch) yields documentation thread - Page 2

Re: CoolTrainer (and non hex:00 Super Glitch) yields documentation thread

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-14 21:43:45
Here's a ridiculous trick that might work.

Apparently hex:EA evolves at level 138 with the evolve without stone glitch using Doduo into hex:CE. You'd maybe have to get a Missingno. (345,420 experience at level 100) and hybridize it with a hex:EA (max exp 819,325) that you obtained from a double distort with a glitch Pokémon that had as the second character in its name first, then get it level to or beyond 138; but would it even get to that high a level?

Edit: Didn't work, even though I got it to level down to 155.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-12-14 22:17:03
Oh yeah, I realized that using Pokémon Overflow wouldn't be good for getting all glitch mons, because you can simply swap a Pokémon in the party with Pokémon past the sixth slot. :P

Date: 2014-12-14 22:27:43

Oh yeah, I realized that using Pokémon Overflow wouldn't be good for getting all glitch mons, because you can simply swap a Pokémon in the party with Pokémon past the sixth slot. :P

I guess you could ban it then, or just set a rule that you have to get your Pokémon by catching them, getting them as gift mon or evolving them, not mutating them or digging them up from your party Pokémon past slot 6.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-12-15 07:58:05

getting them as gift mon

But a video of using 8F, tossing one item, using 8F again, .. wouldn't be that fun to watch :P

Date: 2014-12-17 09:28:16
While I was looking the disasm for something else, I found out that char $53 displays the rival name. I'll look into it if I can make a CT using rival name, but "$53" tiles aren't as prominent as Grass tiles. (i think $53 is a roof tile?)

EDIT: HOLY CRAP FOUND CATERPIE COOLTRAINER :XD:

HOW TO ACQUIRE CATERPIE COOLTRAINER:
1. ACQUIRE HEX ITEM 9E (OTHERS MAY WORK, NOT TESTED)
2. ACQUIRE ITEM 9F (NOT HEX VALUE, THE ITEM IS CALLED 9F)
3. CHANGE FIRST TEN RIVAL NAME SLOTS TO ALL HEX 7B
4. GO TO THIS LOCATION:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/s5AZIod.png[/img]
5. SWAP HEX 9E to the slot above 9F, and scroll down so you can't see HEX 9E and 9F.
6. CLOSE AND OPEN ITEM MENU.
7. When your cursor is on 9F, scroll up ONCE.
8. Your screen should be partially filled with hex 7B and other tiles near the top of the screen. It should look like this:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OgjnTE5.png[/img]
When you get this, scroll down ONCE and use 9F.
9. Re-open Menu and fly to Diglett's cave
10. Cooltrainer for Caterpie.
[size=6pt]11. Cry as Red 151 becomes the faster category.[/size]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hZo6ggT.png[/img]

To make another Cooltrainer, simply use another item in Rival Name. To get Hex CE, use TM06 instead of item hex 7B in rival name.

Date: 2014-12-17 16:01:08
Wow, great find as usual. I think you deserve to be a Distinguished Member. So, just how many glitch Pokémon can you get with the trick you just posted? You can't get 50h, it doesn't get printed on the screen, and the 4F [NL] control character makes it so that text gets printed near the bottom of the screen. 51, 56 and 57 don't get printed as tiles either.

Yes, I made a small list of 'magic words' here. Another which may have some value is [$59] - ENEMY (POKéMON name) and [$5A] -  (User's Pokémon name).

Remember the Enem. infinite loop for hex:F0 in Spanish Red/Blue? That happens because there is a [$59] character in its name, and the variable after Enem. is expected to be the species' name at that point, so its name becomes "Enem. Enem. Enem."

I'd like to add, it seems you can do this with a minimum of a 6 letter rival name, and you only have to change the fourth character for a 6 letter name.

Edit: Wow, D34D is a quantity, that makes the glitch super easy with item underflow.
Edit 2: Can't be done (here) with 1-5 characters. If you have a 7 letter Rival name, change D34B (rival name's second character). If you have an 8 letter Rival name, change D351 (rival's name eighth character). If you have a 9 letter Rival name, change D350 (rival's name seventh character). If you have a 10 letter Rival name, change D34F (rival's name sixth letter).

Date: 2014-12-17 21:43:24
Another thing I found, if you have a pokemon in memory and you go to the same location, you'll have too many tiles and they'll cover the 50 tile. This can be remedied with $50 in the 4th rival character. The 2nd rival character determines the Pokemon.

EDIT: Actually I think it depends on the length of the item name. I used another TMTrainer item that also uses rival name in the item name, so it probably differs than the "4 8 4 8 H" item.

Date: 2014-12-18 10:04:21
You can save and reset before opening the item menu to hopefully remove whatever is obstructing the 50s (TRAINER for me, with a 10 letter rival name, and it went after saving and resetting). You are right that the type of 'tile writing' glitch item may affect where the tiles are, even if you have the same name.

Compare 81h with 9Eh.

[img]http://i.minus.com/joUgsg2L3tWK8.png[/img]

Even though you are correct that a name like that may let you have a 50h on the screen again, you still need the rival character to be printed in the right place (BGB x=01, y=06); and the same rules (in the quote below) still apply (however, importantly they are specific to 9Eh, they may not work for other items, example: item hex:81). But you got it with the 2nd Rival character somehow right? So that's good.

Ideally, we want a glitch item that gives you a quantity address in x=01, y=06 before you enter battle, and a quantity address (which very well may be different) in x=01, y=06 after you enter battle, and together with your name the 50 tile has to be there. Another variable involved is the enemy Pokémon's name (Pidgey and Rattata may give different locations for "TRAINER", which blocked the 50h tiles for me)

If you have a 6 letter rival name, you only have to change the fourth character, D34D
If you have a 7 letter Rival name, change D34B (rival name's second character).
If you have an 8 letter Rival name, change D351 (rival's name eighth character).
If you have a 9 letter Rival name, change D350 (rival's name seventh character).
If you have a 10 letter Rival name, change D34F (rival's name sixth letter).

I think a good name for this glitch would be 'Rival CoolTrainer'.
Edit: Oh, I noticed on the Pokémon Speedruns Wiki that you gave it the same name.

Date: 2014-12-18 13:21:46
You can 'port' this to Yellow too, with the hex:80 item (which is both a Super Glitch and tile writer item) and -gm (hex:6A), but seemingly not Lg- (hex:6E). Adjust your fourth Rival name character (our result) with item underflow to what you like and make it six letters long. Do the first part of the lol glitch within walking distance of Fuchsia City by encountering a Pokémon and restoring the graphics by 9F (not its hex. I prefer using this because I had trouble finding a warp without getting trapped) or entering a warp (Doduo worked for me, other Pokémon may mess up the glitch), go to the spot near the Poké Mart, use -gm again, select hex:80, cancel, and throw the Poké Ball. Remember to save and reset before doing another 'rival based lol glitch'.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-05-19 09:00:36
Hey guys,

I've been trying this glitch. So I have two saves. The first one is the Twitch Plays Pokemon save, it has 8 badges, 30 pokemons owned and 132 seen. The second one is a custom save that is probably overcheated using gameshark, it has 151 pokemons, 8 badges.

Cooltrainer corruption (not the trick, just the corruption using the fight menu) works fine in the first one but not with the second save file.

Have you ever seen variations between save files for this glitch, and do you have any idea what could cause it ?

Thanks !

Date: 2015-05-19 16:45:22
Yes, sometimes CoolTrainer corruption will refuse to work on certain saves. This happens when the random internal name of the move (viewable from CD6D when you select it) always (or perhaps it will eventually work) has a 0x50 character in its first twenty characters.

I don't know the cause sadly. I might look into the routine where it gets the name.

If the game is taking box Pokémon names you can try changing the number of Pokémon stored in the PC. This worked for TheZZAZZGlitch. But note that the names are not always taken from PC Pokémon data.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of much help.

Date: 2015-05-20 12:32:40
Thanks for your answer !

Indeed in the non-working save, the data at CD6D appears to be the player's name - which is RED. So there is a 0x50 at fourth position. A fix to this would be to change the name to something above 20 letters, or to delete the 0x50 after the name using 8F maybe (though this would probably harm my game :p)

But it doesn't help if you have no way to get 8F, which would be the case if you don't have any available trainer and you can't perform the Old Man Glitch (in french R/B, no MissingNo. outside of the fossil/ghost ones can be encountered without freezes).

By the way, how does the corruption with the PKMN menu works ? If I use it, I will always get MissingNO., which is a quick way to get it if that was the point. Is there a chance this works "everytime", even if the FIGHT corruption doesn't ?  :P

Date: 2015-05-20 17:49:59
You're welcome.

Yeah. It's a quick way to obtain Missingno. and is also a good idea on Pokémon Yellow (if you bring over a Pokémon with - as the first move). Other than being an extra way to get Missingno. on Yellow, you could do it as a method to get a x255 item stack (the duplication works fine if you catch the Missingno.) with no long-range Trainers left for item underflow or creating a Special stat encounter.

Opening the Pokémon menu in the middle of a battle before CoolTrainer corruption saves some tile data that ensures that the enemy Pokémon is corrupted to a level 127 hex:32 Missingno. If the inverse sprites effect was in effect (e.g. you can cause it by viewing that Missingno.'s sprite) before opening the Pokémon menu then the battle tiles will be different and let you get a level 127 Horsea when you perform the corruption.

I don't know of a way to guarantee CoolTrainer working any time.

Date: 2015-05-21 08:50:43

Yeah. It's a quick way to obtain Missingno. and is also a good idea on Pokémon Yellow (if you bring over a Pokémon with - as the first move). Other than being an extra way to get Missingno. on Yellow, you could do it as a method to get a x255 item stack (the duplication works fine if you catch the Missingno.) with no long-range Trainers left for item underflow or creating a Special stat encounter.

Yup that's what I meant. But since it is related to the ability to trigger corruption, there will still be people who could not use Old Man Glitch (e.g. yellow players), have no long-range trainers left AND unable to perform this glitch ! I guess their only choice to get a pokemon they want is to buy a used pokemon game, perform save abuse and use the underflow to reach 8F, execute code and trade the obtained pokemon to the other game  :P

Date: 2015-05-21 09:17:07
Just to make sure : every time I enter/exit the FIGHT menu in the non-working save, the memory at $CD6D changes. Sometimes I have pokemons of my teams (with a 0x50 at each end of name), sometimes I have the name of the game (RED), etc.

Doesn't that means that, theorically, for every save there should be a moment in which the datas sent to this address allows the corruption to occurs ?