Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Counter and item glitch, how do you get it to hit? - Page 1

Counter and item glitch, how do you get it to hit?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-08 19:21:05
In this video by werster for a Red/Blue randomized run, a Kabutops using Counter 'countered' wester's X Accuracy, X Speed and two of his Full Restores.

I tried this myself with the codes 0144EDCF, 0144EECF, 0144EFCF, 0144F0CF (all opponent's moves are Counter), but the opponent always missed.

I then tried it the other way round (Countering the enemy Trainer's use of an item) and successfully did it after an X Accuracy, when Bruno used an X Accuracy at the beginning of the first turn his Pokémon was out.

Does anyone know of clear ways to replicate it both ways? I'd also appreciate it out of curiosity if someone could look into how it works/why it may not work, but you don't have to.

Edit: If I attack the opponent with Cut before Counter and Counter hits, if I use X Accuracy the next turn and the opponent uses Counter it will hit again, and I get the impression that the damage is double what it is the last time.

Re: Counter and item glitch, how do you get it to hit?

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2014-07-08 23:03:55
If the last attack used by the opposing side was not Counter, was Normal- or Fighting-type, and had non-zero power, and the damage dealt by the last attack was non-zero, then Counter can hit for twice the damage dealt by the last attack.

The last attack used by the opposing side ($CFCC$CFD1 for the enemys last move and $CFD2$CFD7 for the players) does not have to be on the same turn, or even in the same battle.

The damage dealt by the last attack (two-byte value at $D0D7) does not have to be on the same turn, in the same battle, or by a particular side. (If Counter hits on consecutive turns without the opponent using an attack, it will double its own damage each time. Its a primitive version of Rollout that only works against item-spammers. :P)

Re: Counter and item glitch, how do you get it to hit?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-09 17:22:02
Thanks Háčky, you're awesome. I'll play around with this more some day.