Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Old man glitch/Previous Pokémon list glitch in foreign versions - analysis - Page 1

Old man glitch/Previous Pokémon list glitch in foreign versions - analysis

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-28 13:37:18
As most of us here are probably familiar with, the left-facing shore tile glitch in the localizations lets you encounter Pokémon from the last list of wild Pokémon when you walk/Surf on it.

If you talk to the old man, your name is stored in the wild Pokémon list, and if it doesn't get overwritten, you can encounter Pokémon based on your name. The 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th letters control the level of a Pokémon, and the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th letters control the species of a Pokémon. So '(X)AB(X)(X)(X)(X)' allows for a level 128 Hypno.

In the following foreign language versions, the old man glitch works like it does in the English Red/Blue:

*French R/B (Rouge et Bleu)
*German R/B (Rote and Blaue)

In the following versions, you have to walk on water instead of Surf on the water to get the old man glitch to work:

*Italian R/B (Rosso e Blu) - Note that Missingno. and hex:00 (may) freeze the game.
*Spanish R/B (Roja y Azul)

For some reason, in the above two versions I couldn't encounter Muk with the name 'IIIIIII', only Missingno. or hex:00. I suppose I could have been really unlucky, but I thought that was strange.

Here are some GameShark codes you can use after delivering Oak's Parcel in non-English European versions of Red/Blue to easily pull off the old man glitch:

All fly locations:

01FF10D7
01FF11D7

Walk through walls:

010138CD

8 badges:

01FF5BD3

First Pokémon knows Fly (13h) and Surf (39h):

011378D1
013979D1

In the German version, you can encounter glitch Pokémon C0-C5 because the letters (hex:C0), (hex:C1), (hex:C2), ä (hex:C3), ö (hex:C4) and ü (hex:C5) can be entered on the 'your name?' screen.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jbuJBwkrBiRk2Y.png[/img][img]http://i.minus.com/jGX28jIo63TuH.png[/img]

For me, the glitch Pokémon from '' and 'ü' froze the game upon encounter, so you probably shouldn't use them.

Here is C1 "ö ", the equivalent of Red/Blue's '' that typically freezes the game. In the German version, I didn't get a freeze. I don't know if it uses different sprite data, or if I was just lucky.

[img]http://i.minus.com/joVHE38mkvhe3.png[/img]

Its back-sprite didn't freeze the game either.

Now, as for the Japanese versions:

The helpful codes are:

First Pokémon knows Fly and Surf:

011333D1
013934D1

All Fly locations:

01FF8AD6
01078BD6

All Badges:
01FFD5D2

Walk through walls:
010138CD

In Red and Green, as documented before, and in Japanese Blue, the old man glitch (at least the way we use it) or even the previous Pokémon list glitch doesn't seem to work. This applies to both the initial version and rev A of Red/Green. There don't seem to be any encounters on the left-facing shore tiles, even if you walk on it instead of Surf on it.

Does anyone have any questions?

I'm still curious about the 'grass surfing glitch' in Spanish Red/Blue. Does it exist in other non-English versions?

I also want to see what happens with right-facing shore tiles and up-facing shore tiles in all non-English versions.