Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

what just happened? - Page 1

what just happened?

Posted by: PhantoMewtwo
Date: 2014-09-23 18:08:08
So i used Q to fuse a Magikarp with Squirtle just to make it easier to train. I know that the only way to stabilise it is by evolution, so i evolved it into Gyarados. The weird thing is that although i trained it to level 20, a while later it became level 15! Why is this so?

Re: what just happened?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-09-23 18:18:23
Glitchmon levels fluctuate constantly. Sometimes they even stay on that level. My 4. . on Yellow Version went from level 5 (after feeding it Rare Candies to make it usable) to level 89, a radical change indeed. Hell, the various Glitchmon in my party change level even when I'm not in battle.

Shit's crazy, yo.

Re: what just happened?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-09-24 09:24:57

So i used Q to fuse a Magikarp with Squirtle just to make it easier to train. I know that the only way to stabilise it is by evolution, so i evolved it into Gyarados. The weird thing is that although i trained it to level 20, a while later it became level 15! Why is this so?

Initially, the levels were still calculated as if Magikarp was still a Squirtle. The Q glitch changes the first species byte, which only controls the experience cap when it comes to levels.

Squirtle has a faster experience group (Medium-Slow) than Magikarp and Gyarados (Slow). After Magikarp is stabilized into Gyarados, the game calculates the Pokémon's experience using the Slow experience group. This means if you deposit the Gyarados and withdraw it from a PC, or have it gain experience in battle, it may lose levels.