Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Effects of 9F/10F in Red/Blue or -lg/-gm in Yellow and Lol Glitch - Page 1

Effects of 9F/10F in Red/Blue or -lg/-gm in Yellow and Lol Glitch

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-10-05 17:33:36
Decided to post this since no one has.

A while back, I was messing with Glitch Items, and I came across 9F. If you used it in battle, it would end the battle, and put you in a Glitch City (which is how I found Instant Glitch Cities).  However, I didn't find much out of 9F, so I didn't look into it much.

Fast-Forward to like a week ago, I was messing with 10F this time (doesn't matter, it has the same effect as 9F), and when I used it in battle, the glitch city appeared, but this time, I managed to get out of it. I then decided to use a PP Up on Ditto (doing some testing about using PP Ups on the Cooltrainer move), but for some reason it didn't work. After some testing, I realized that I was still in a battle, but in the overworld too. Since you're still in a battle, you can catch the Pokémon you were last fighting. Flying/Teleporting away ends the effect (digging doesn't work for some reason).

Then, I tried mutating a Pokemon outside of battle. Since you can't fight with your Pokémon outside of battle (but you can still use Poke Flute/X Items/Other Stuff), you can't use the Cooltrainer move to mutate Pokémon. However, you still can use TMTrainer based items to corrupt the battle. This way, by positioning your character for Cooltrainer, and selecting (NOT USING) a TMTrainer item, you can mutate a Pokémon and catch it. The battle still doesn't end though, so if you keep chucking balls, you'll be catching Ditto's instead (most likely because the game isn't sure of the Pokémon caught, so it assumes it's a Transformed Ditto). You also need to end a real battle, by fleeing/catching/defeating any Pokémon, to fix encounters. However, it's best to just save and reset after performing the glitch, because there are some side effects, namely:

In Yellow, this glitch has way more potential with the removal of Cooltrainer, and the game screen buffering when you get into a battle. In addition, Yellow Version is more friendly when performing the glitch. The glitch items -gm and -lg don't put you in a Glitch City after the Battle, and the items 9F and vtm refresh the map, making movement easier. The reason I called it Lol Glitch is the letters -lg have the same letters at the beginning in "Lol Glitch", but if you don't think the name is "professional" enough, you could always call it "Reverse Cooltrainer", "Unfinished Battle Mutation Glitch" or something like that. (there's another reason why it's called lol glitch, but it doesn't really matter here)

[size=14pt]Procedure in Red/Blue:[/size]

[size=14pt]Procedure in Yellow:[/size]
The procedure for Yellow is generally the same, with some slight modifications.

Video in Yellow Version using Instant Glitch Cities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR450iztZbQ

Re: Effects of 9F/10F in Red/Blue or -lg/-gm in Yellow and Lol Glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-10-05 19:24:23
Great find! Two small addendums; you can catch Pokémon with the battle tileset like you would with a Red/Blue CoolTrainer because the tiles technically don't change. You can also get a free Ditto if you use a Master Ball again (which myself and others actually already knew when experimenting with when D057/6 is 01 out of battle).

I thought "TMTRAINER items" (long internal name items?) could only give you Metapod in the English version. But it seems by tricking the game into thinking you're in battle, you can corrupt both Yami Shop (check bytes before D058) and CoolTrainer bytes (I checked x=01, y=06, and the value was the same as CFD8).

We need a list of TMTRAINER items. 2p's index number is 92h right? I've only tried it with Yellow's hex:80.

Edit: Something I never noticed. ItemDex has some items listed as "strange mart". Maybe these are Yami Shop items, hence they may work for Lol Glitch, however I don't think there's a Yellow ItemDex available, which is a shame.
Edit 2: I tried a spot where a CoolTrainer that mutates the species, but messes up the battle so that you can't catch the Pokémon was (where 50 isn't at coordinates y=09-0C and is after that). But the TMTRAINER glitch item did the hooked Metapod effect for some reason (no CFD8 corruption).

Does this apply to only 'bad spots' (where the first 50 is too late)? This was the 'bad spot' I used.
[img]http://i.minus.com/jbhlkymhUw8VYW.png[/img]

Edit 3: By the way, you can get an instant Glitch City with hooked Metapod if you use a ball. Did you know?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-10-05 23:59:28
I find that the first 50 needs to be late to trigger "hooked Metapod effect". If it's too early, selecting the item gives the "direction lock" effect instead (like RIVAL's).

Edit 3: By the way, you can get an instant Glitch City with hooked Metapod if you use a ball. Did you know?

I can't get this to happen. If I attempt to use a ball before entering the battle, it triggers the "glitch credits" effect (http://youtu.be/UTa_BWfXBjc?t=12m44s). If I catch it after entering the battle, I return to the overworld normally.

Date: 2014-10-06 11:05:21
It seems like there was just one range of corrupted addresses (however, it's possible the 20 bytes and screen data are copied elsewhere too and I don't realize it) actually. It's just that when a 50 is later both CFD8/7 and D059/D058 get corrupted (CFD7 is for Yellow). This even applies to Red/Blue CoolTrainer, but you may not be able to run from battle if it was in an 'unstable' (as in you get weird battle effects) place.

The automatic selection is caused by the corruption of D05A/9.

D057/D056 is also corrupted. When it is a non-00 value, you can throw the Master Ball, but you need it to be 01. 02 makes a Trainer block the ball. Other values cause glitches where you don't get the Pokémon. In theory, a certain place/Glitch City with a 01 tile at BGB coordinates x=08, y=0C would let you catch the Pokémon without the need of Lg-, but the corruption of D05A/9 may be a problem; if corrupted, the game returns to the items menu with the automatic selection effect.

For reference, I'm going to post that the 20 bytes written by the TMTRAINER item are at CF4B (like when you do a CoolTrainer). The screen copy is at CF5F.

I find that the first 50 needs to be late to trigger "hooked Metapod effect". If it's too early, selecting the item gives the "direction lock" effect instead (like RIVAL's).

I can't get this to happen. If I attempt to use a ball before entering the battle, it triggers the "glitch credits" effect (http://youtu.be/UTa_BWfXBjc?t=12m44s). If I catch it after entering the battle, I return to the overworld normally.

This is caused by the corruption of D057/D056. It seems if it is greater than 02, you get the glitch credits (I think it's more like a glitchy mess of animations though) effect in Red/Blue. If greater than 02 in Yellow, I get a Glitch City. Can you confirm if you get the Glitch City effect in Yellow too?

Date: 2014-10-07 00:21:43
Seems throwing a ball in Yellow simply corrupts the bytes D35E-D35F. The value seems to be constant for each map. The coordinates and map index stay the same.

There can also be some side-effects like invisible menus, but they should be fixed after reset.

Date: 2014-10-07 07:34:40
Interesting. Thanks for that.

Did you get the invisible menu in Yellow? If so, which spot? Maybe that could allow us to get more Pokémon than hooked Metapod, but luckytyphlosion said he found an item that let you do that.

Date: 2014-10-07 11:34:14

Did you get the invisible menu in Yellow? If so, which spot? Maybe that could allow us to get more Pokémon than hooked Metapod, but luckytyphlosion said he found an item that let you do that.

Tested, but I still encountered a Metapod. I always get the invisible menu when the 50 tile is in the last row.

Date: 2014-10-07 16:26:08

Tested, but I still encountered a Metapod. I always get the invisible menu when the 50 tile is in the last row.

OK thanks. I found out exactly how replicate it.

You can cause the broken start menu by the corruption of D09F in Yellow (or D0A0 in Red/Blue). If you have the first 50 tile at BGB coordinates X=01 Y=10 or later, which is here, i.e. after or on the 50h (glitchy looking) tile:

[img]http://i6.minus.com/i8h8zLbkfHXx.png[/img]

..Then you can make the effect happen, because that tile corrupts D09F, but unless x=0B y=0C (D059) happens to be 00 (but that's part of the menu so it's always 7F unless we find a workaround to the Metapod only problem), you'll be forced to use the first item of the four items listed on the items menu. Not really a problem though, as you can use 9F to go out of the menu in both versions.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-10-09 15:08:37
Hmm, so making the start menu disappear doesn't change the Metapod?

One request I have. Can anyone figure out why some menus (Item, Pokemon, Pokedex, Trainer Card, Box Stuff), crash upon opening them after doing Lol Glitch repeatedly?

Date: 2014-10-10 01:11:03
Yellow:

After doing the glitch many times without resetting the game (I reset the wild encounters by encountering a wild mon and running away), I find myself 1 block off my original position. All warps are disabled (or simply moved up one block to a place I can't access), even after resetting. Sometimes I'll be trapped in a glitch city and cannot get out unless I spam 9F. Talking to certain NPCs crashes the game. Fly, Teleport, Dig, Escape Rope etc. fix the problem.

These effects are only caused by throwing a ball one or more times to catch Ditto after catching the first Pokemon.