Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Freeze PP underflow and battle de-sync potential - Page 1

Freeze PP underflow and battle de-sync potential

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-10-25 15:28:45
In a link battle, you can underflow the PP of theoretically any move using a certain glitch (which I call Freeze PP underflow) involving the frozen status as long as it is in the top position and has 0 PP.

There are two other PP underflow glitches; Hyper Beam auto-selection and Switch PP underflow.

An interesting thing about this glitch is that I made one side say that Mewtwo used Amnesia and the other side say Mewtwo used Psychic, so I suppose it's possible to force out glitch Pokémon like in the Fire Spin glitch; another link battle de-sync glitch.

I didn't see this documented in Kamex's document "RBY stuff", so I thought I'd share this little fact (and also make this obscure glitch more well known).

Video.

If a slower Pokémon gets frozen before it gets a chance to use a move, but a move was selected, and then if the faster Pokémon defrosts it with a Fire-type move it will use the last move that was selected.

If the slower Pokémon was switched out while frozen and is switched back in, and then the faster Pokémon defrosts it, it will use the the topmost move in the move list on one side even if it had 0 PP and may use another move on the other.

This allows the PP of any move to underflow to 63 (in this video Psychic was at the top position and had its PP underflow from 0 to 63). Unfortunately these conditions may only be met in a link battle, so in at least Yellow, the 63 PP effect is lost when the battle ends.

Theoretically the Cable Club escape glitch can be used to keep the underflowed PP, but there are two 'better' methods of PP underflow, yet they are restricted to Hyper Beam and partial trapping moves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8AzgGoJbTs

Also, I haven't tested having hex:FF in the top position for player 1. Perhaps that could make the 63 PP be kept.

Re: Freeze PP underflow and battle de-sync potential

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-10-26 14:35:18
Does Haze work as well or can it only be fire moves?

Re: Freeze PP underflow and battle de-sync potential

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-11-02 08:04:00

Does Haze work as well or can it only be fire moves?

Just tried this between two Yellow games. It can only be Fire-type moves for both underflow glitch and de-sync. If the opponent uses Haze to defrost you then you're brought back to the Fight/PkMn/Item/Run box and don't auto-select a move.