Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Researching the Red/Green and Japanese Blue Glitch Pokemon - Page 1

Researching the Red/Green and Japanese Blue Glitch Pokemon

Posted by: Darth Nightmaricus
Date: 2014-11-22 17:02:45
For some weird reason, the Internet is devoid of all material related to Glitch Pokemon in Red and Green and the Japanese Blue.  I recently discovered that in fact MissingNo. IS NOT the same in Japanese Blue as it is in the American Red and Blue, and that there is no sprite whatsoever for it AT ALL, menu or otherwise, in Red and Green, so it crashes whether you send one out or you battle a wild one. We should make articles on the Japanese Glitch Pokemon, if I could type in Japanese I might be able to.

I recently found a weird Glitch Pokemon in Japanese Blue that looks like a blue Charizard 'M, displays 9's across its Pokedex entry, and crashes the game.

Re: Researching the Red/Green and Japanese Blue Glitch Pokemon

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-11-22 17:17:47
Yeah, that's a shame. However, there are actually multiple Japanese Pokémon glitch websites if you search for them.

In particular, I found this; which gives a list of Red/Green names. I haven't found a Japanese version of our GlitchDex (one with a good amount of data like base stats, learnsets and TM/HM movesets), though.

I'm just going to say for clarity: in Japanese Blue regular Missingno.'s sprite on the opponent's side doesn't freeze the game (see here), while in Red/Green it does (or at least often does, I think there's a possibility it always freezes)

Regular Missingno. doesn't just differ between the Japanese versions, but other foreign language versions such as Spanish Red/Blue.

Also, you may have noticed that what is the Ghost Missingno. in the Japanese versions is actually called (ghost) instead of つば, Ketsuban. This is apparently unused. Ghosts in the Pokémon Tower are called .

Posted by: Darth Nightmaricus
Date: 2014-11-22 17:21:16
I was referring to the Red and Green crashing, not Blue.

There's a trick to get MissingNo. in Red and Green though..

-Have Ditto transform.
-Swap its second move with Transform.
-Go to Diglett's cave.
-Battle a wild Diglett.
-Go to the PKMN menu, then close out (in battle).
-Go to the FIGHT menu, back out, repeat until the TMTRAINER effect kicks in.
-The Diglett should be Burned.
-Catch it. It will become a Level 127 MissingNo.
-Any further attempts to do this will yield a Level 127 Horsea for unknown reasons.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-11-22 17:33:06
Yeah, I'm aware of this. I've played around with CoolTrainer lots. Thanks though. You may have to do it in a cave to avoid a freeze, and then after the mutation open your menu and close it before you exit to avoid another freeze.

A good thing about Red/Green/Blue is that there's an easier way to get "-" as the first move that doesn't require a Ditto. If you had say three moves and pressed select on say the fourth item, after exiting the menu with B, B, you could keep the cursor position where it was after entering battle and then swap the non-existing fourth move with the first.

Horsea Level 127 appears in the English version when you open the items screen or Pokémon menu within battle after your Pokémon's sprite is 'inverted' before doing a CoolTrainer; which is why you can just get Missingno., view its stats in battle, and then mutate to get the other Pokémon.  The equivalent of the Horsea in Red/Green is actually Pikachu, though. Note putting the graphics back to normal by viewing a valid Pokémon's sprite on the summary would cause the result to be Missingno. again.

When the "-" corruption works, the game copies stored screen data past a name buffer causing things like the species mutation, so if you last opened the menu in a certain position (with a 50h tile somewhere to avoid too much data from being copied and a freeze), then you can get more than just Missingno. and Horsea/Pikachu.