Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

I decided to investigate the Japanese Yellow MissingNo. - Page 1

I decided to investigate the Japanese Yellow MissingNo.

Posted by: Darth Nightmaricus
Date: 2014-11-24 12:05:17
I screencapped the "encounter" and "battle" screens for hex IDs 1F (Normal), B6 (Kabutops), B7 (Aerodactyl), and B8 (Ghost).

Normal form was weird, it claimed I had six fainted Pokemon even though I had only a Pikachu and it hadn't fainted.

It then turned black with MissingNo.'s sprite in red, then froze.

And yes, I know B8 isn't MissingNo. in Japan, it's a different glitch called "GHOST". I still screencapped it.

These were taken on the VisualBoyAdvance emulator using the "trigger wild battle" code.

Re: I decided to investigate the Japanese Yellow MissingNo.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-11-24 16:36:34
Thanks for this thread.

Yeah, Japanese Yellow normal Missingno. is strange. It can turn wild battles into Trainer battles through corruption of D034 (00=out of battle 01=wild Pokémon 02=Trainer), like in your screenshot (notice the text " ぶ てき!" is used for Trainers). For me, D034 was changed to the invalid value 1F.

Does anything weird happen if you exit the battle like English Yellow normal Missingno.? The game lock ups before the Trainer sends out any Pokémon for me.

Re: I decided to investigate the Japanese Yellow MissingNo.

Posted by: Darth Nightmaricus
Date: 2014-11-25 08:26:24
No, it froze when the screen went to that black mode. It was weird.