Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

English fossil conversion glitch (get absolutely any Pokémon/glitch Pokémon) - Page 1

English fossil conversion glitch (get absolutely any Pokémon/glitch Pokémon)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-13 20:51:34
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEpohfkBg8Q

With this adaption of the Japanese fossil conversion glitch I made, you can get any glitch Pokémon, even FB-FD; Pokémon you can't get with the Johto guard glitch, unless you can somehow get a Gen II hex:FB or hex:FD and (somehow) get it to convert into FB-FD (see this and note how this this doesn't have hex:FB-FD).

The fossil conversion glitch has you depositing a fossil and then changing what it is afterwards. In the Japanese versions, the trick involves a Pokémon's total experience modulo 256 determining the species. With my English adaption, it's the Pokémon's Attack stat modulo 256 that determines the species.

For this trick you need access to over 6 Pokémon. After you get over 6 Pokémon and deposit a fossil, you need to swap any Pokémon with the 33rd (note, in the Japanese trick it is the 32nd; and the 32nd Pokémon was accessed with the 32nd PC item)

The only ways I know to get over 6 Pokémon in the English version are 'save abuse glitch' and Super Glitch, but it's not realistic to use save abuse for this glitch, so my method involves Super Glitch.

Side note: One of our users called xeno, or kuriatsu on Youtube calls Pokémon counter overflow the Poke-dos Cartouche. They supposedly somehow accessed it with the ZZAZZ glitch and I don't know how because it normally[?] doesn't corrupt D163/2; the species counter. However, I know you can do a cool item counter overflow glitch with ZZAZZ glitch, so I don't doubt it.

Unfortunately one of the things Super Glitch does is corrupt your name, and if a 50 is not present on the eleventh character, saving will destroy the save. But there is a work around, documented by TheZZAZZGlitch.

[size=20pt]Red/Blue[/size]-

[size=18pt]Set up:[/size]

Happily taken from TheZZAZZGlitch's Super Glitch thread, cheers TheZZAZZGlitch:

1) Do the Ditto trick to get an LM4 (Special stat 198)
2) Put LM4 in the first position. Have the first three of LM4's moves have 28 characters in total, e.g. BODY SLAM [9 chars], DOUBLESLAP [10 chars], WATER GUN [9 chars]. LM4 has Hypnosis, Water Gun, Doubleslap and Body Slam at level 7 in that order, so you just need to swap Hypnosis to the bottom.
3) Level up LM4 to level 24 with Rare Candies, in this spot to avoid a potential freeze, then replace its fourth move with Super Glitch.
[img]http://i.minus.com/ieB2Tly27VDEn.PNG[/img]
4) Go to the spot below, open your party Pokémon menu here , don't open it after then go to a battle with LM4 in the first position and keep opening and closing the fight menu until the corruption happens (this depends on luck). Repeatedly viewing LM4's summary from the spot below may also work.
[img]http://i.minus.com/ibxPoFRCenomoK.PNG[/img]
5) Run away. When you open your party Pokémon menu you'll notice you can go past slot 6 if the corruption happened. You actually have 124 (hex:7C) Pokémon now. Pokémon 1 and 2's species byte 1s will turn into Nidoqueen (hex:10), Pokémon 3's becomes Krabby (hex:4E), and Pokémon 4's becomes Missingno. (hex:50) but don't worry, putting them into the Day Care and out again later will bring them back to normal, and you actually 'need' Nidoqueen for the Yellow version of this trick.

[size=18pt]Fossil conversion glitch:[/size]

Notes:

Don't use the fossil conversion glitch to remove your LM4 as you still need to fix your name (add a terminator on or before the 11th character) to enable saving.

I tried this with the FF terminator after Pokémon 6, so I had 6 Pokémon before party counter corruption. I'm not sure if that matters.

6) Fly to Cinnabar Island and go to the Pokémon Lab. Deposit a Fossil.
7) Select a Pokémon of your choice (the Attack stat modulo 256 will determine what the fossil becomes e.g. 21=Mew, 252=O (FC)) and switch it with the 33rd Pokémon. Go out of the lab and back in and you'll get a fossil Pokémon from the scientist based on the Attack stat of the Pokémon you swapped with the 33rd Pokémon.
8) Your Fly locations will become corrupted too; the relationship is PP move 4 and level (D18B/C) into D70B/C (Fly locations). You might even get glitch Fly locations that have bad effects, but we can fix that too; with the only catch being that you get all but one Fly location; you lose Fuchsia City. So, select Pokémon 122 (hex:7A). This is three spaces above the top Pokémon. Swap it with the 33rd Pokémon. Your Fly locations will be set to 7F 7F (this is taken from C4EF/F0 in RAM; some data which seems to be always 7F 7F on the party Pokémon menu. 7F 7F is 'good', you get no glitch Fly locations.

[size=18pt]Get a reasonable amount of Pokémon:[/size]
9) Replace LM4's Doubleslap with Mega Kick (via TM05, can be bought from Celadon Department Store) to get a total of 27 (1 less than before) real move letters. This is to put later screen data into earlier addresses.
10) Go to the spot below, open your party Pokémon menu here, don't open it after, then go to a battle with LM4 and keep opening and closing the fight menu until the corruption happens (this depends on luck). Repeatedly viewing LM4's summary may also work.
[img]http://i.minus.com/ibxPoFRCenomoK.PNG[/img]
11) Run away. If the corruption worked, you'll now have 16 Pokémon instead of 124 Pokémon; and 16 is a much more reasonable amount for when we deposit Pokémon later. Additionally, it's now only Pokémon 1 who is Nidoqueen, Pokémon 2 becomes Krabby, Pokémon 3 becomes Missingno. 50h.

[size=18pt]Terminate your name (so that saving and restarting doesn't erase the save):[/size]

Don't change your LM4 (should now be a Nidoqueen/LM4 hybrid for being in slot 1)'s moves.

12) Fly to Cerulean City and walk to the spot below:
[img]http://i.minus.com/iLUYbTqCI7QX3.png[/img]
13) Open the party Pokémon menu here, don't open it after, close it then enter a wild battle and keep opening and closing the fight menu until you get corruption.
14) If the corruption worked, your name will now be blank. You're free to save and restart after talking to a nurse but cancelling out of Heal/Cancel.

[size=18pt]Party clean up, fixing the option boxes:[/size]
15) Fly to any town/city/Cinnabar and go to the Pokémon Center. Talk to the nurse but cancel out of Heal/Cancel. This will fix your option box which became glitched and could cause a freeze/corruption if it opened when you try to save.
16) Deposit Pokémon in the box. Try depositing Cancels until it doesn't work to make sure you have 6 Pokémon or something. Don't deposit Pokémon below Cancel or the game will probably freeze, as it did for me. Also, a weird 'blank name' Pokémon did this (from swapping Pokémon beyond slot 6 I believe), even when I withdrew it and Rare Candied it. Putting it into the Day Care and withdrawing it made it non-freezing though.

[size=20pt]Yellow differences[/size]
These are the changes you need to do to make this glitch work in Yellow:

1) Use another Super Glitch Pokémon where you can have Super Glitch as the fourth move and 28 letters in moves before it. What immediately came to mind is "Z4" (Special 195, hex:C3), and it works.
1a) : Have Z4 know Fury Attack, Horn Drill, Reflect and Super Glitch. Fury Attack is a starting move, Horn Drill is a level up move at level 13, Reflect is possible through TM33 (can't be bought, unfortunately). It learns Super Glitch at level 35.
1b) : When you do the 'remove 1 letter' part, replace Fury Attack with Mega Punch (TM01). It can learn it because it will have became part Nidoqueen at this point.
2) When you do Super Glitch corruption, I think you have to do it by viewing the Pokémon's summary in the right location; because you apparently can't carry over screen data into battle in Yellow.
3) You'll need to consider that the glitch Pokémon between Red/Blue and Yellow are different, so a Pokémon in Red/Blue might have different base stats, moves, etc to the Pokémon with the same index number in Yellow.

…And that's the end of the glitch, you'll have one or more level 30 'fossil' Pokémon, and you can get even Johto guard glitch Pokémon or remaining HP glitch "only" Pokémon. You may want to try releasing your junk Pokémon, but save first; as I haven't tried this yet.

If you use TheZZAZZGlitch's over 6 Pokémon trick and the fixes, you can adapt any other select glitch from Japanese R/G/B to English R/B/Y, but the select glitches will be different in some way.

Additionally, I think it's cool how the Attack stat is a significant glitching variable now, like the Special stat.

Re: English fossil conversion glitch (get absolutely any Pokémon/glitch Pokémon)

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-12-14 13:54:42
You can also do the Double Distort glitch with ",," to get hex F4 with a super glitch move at start, but I'm not sure how each different Super Glitch move affects corruption.

The glitch Pokemon FC and FD can also be obtained using Cooltrainer. Gifhevexxin and Dabomstew made programs for every possible cooltrainer (minus cooltrainers that are "RAM" based), but I'll probably post them in the Cooltrainer thread. :)

Re: English fossil conversion glitch (get absolutely any Pokémon/glitch Pokémon)

Date: 2014-12-14 14:25:49

You can also do the Double Distort glitch with ",," to get hex F4 with a super glitch move at start, but I'm not sure how each different Super Glitch move affects corruption.

The glitch Pokemon FC and FD can also be obtained using Cooltrainer. Gifhevexxin and Dabomstew made programs for every possible cooltrainer (minus cooltrainers that are "RAM" based), but I'll probably post them in the Cooltrainer thread. :)

Yes, I actually saw your "super glitch route" on the Pokémon speedruns wiki that discussed using Super Glitch from that double distort glitch Pokémon and a certain glitch (is it the missing FF terminator, deposit Pokémon glitch like the one here but with Super Glitch?) to corrupt your items.

I didn't look into that glitch Pokémon's available moves though, and thought I'd just settle for LM4 because TheZZAZZGlitch's tricks were already there, and CoolTrainer may refuse to work; yet I may be being a hypocrite in that respect if hex:BE Super Glitch may stop working too, lol.

Edit: Hex F1 learns :-

Level up:

Start: Super Glitch A9
Start: Rolling Kick
Lvl 8 HM02
Lvl 17 Conversion
Lvl 104 Pound
Lvl 175 TM24
Lvl 186 Tackle
Lvl 195 Pound
Lvl 205 Glitch move hex:b5

TMs and HMs:

01 - Mega Punch
02 - Razor Wind
03 - Swords Dance
05 - Mega Kick
06 - Toxic
09 - Take Down
10 - Double-Edge
11 - Bubblebeam
13 - Ice Beam
14 - Blizzard
25 - Thunder
27 - Fissure
28 - Dig
29 - Psychic
33 - Reflect
34 - Bide
35 - Metronome
37 - Egg Bomb
38 - Fire Blast
41 - Softboiled
43 - Sky Attack
44 - Rest

My sources are echinodermata's GlitchDex revisited Red document and Photon Phoenix's TM/HM data.

Date: 2014-12-14 14:37:49
I don't know exactly what happens when you deposit immediately after looking at the Super Glitch move on the PC, or what bytes are exactly shifted to create the FF at the front of the party. What was weird, was that when I deposited hex F4 in the PC directly after looking at Super Glitch, the game didn't crash, but if I would deposit the first Pokémon right after, the game would crash. I'm not even sure if it's depositing hex F4's data, or the "new" first Pokemon that appears right after.  :o

I simply overflowed Inventory by swapping the 2nd Pokémon (usually a Pidgey) with the 11th.

Date: 2014-12-14 15:18:16

I simply overflowed Inventory by swapping the 2nd Pokémon (usually a Pidgey) with the 11th.

Ah, I see. Do you mean the 10th? Unfortunately that corrupts your Pokédex.

I haven't tried your trick, so I don't know what this FF at the front of the party is, but if you remove all FF terminators from your party (I thought F4 might do this with your method, but now that you say you swapped the 2nd Pokémon with the 11th I have doubts because it seems you can open the Pokémon menu without a freeze), and then deposit the first Pokémon, the game will shift bytes back to D164 and onward, up to the first FF (on closer analysis this doesn't exactly happen, the Pokémon 6 byte 1 became Golduck for some reason when there was no 80h to be seen). You can deposit another party Pokémon too (e.g. Pokémon 2 makes the bytes shift back to D165 and onward).

If the first FF is the item terminator, and the first item is a useful index number (e.g. a TM because it's over 200), you can shift that into the item counter, so TM01 would allow an item counter value of 201, but your party Pokémon menu will be broken. When I did this with hacking, walking around froze the game too.

Date: 2014-12-14 15:32:53
I meant 10th Pokémon, not 11th. Thanks for the correction :)

I tried doing the "End of List" byte shift with a PP UP, but the PP UP didn't shift upon withdrawing; it just stayed there.

Date: 2014-12-14 16:45:26
You're welcome. I analyzed your route, not the yolo one, I had trouble with that one but I probably just made a silly mistake.

Viewing F4's summary from the PC and getting a successful corruption sets D163 to 00 (and eliminates FFs). But when you close the summary the Deposit/Stats/Cancel box is still open, and you can deposit it to make D163 underflow to FF.  Depositing Pidgey first lets you get a Pokémon you can withdraw without a freeze. Then, for some reason when you withdraw Pidgey the game makes a mistake and gives you 24h Pokémon (Pidgey's identifier!) and gives you an FF in D164, terminating the list so that you can access it. This would explain why Rhydon doesn't work because it's hex:01.

To do the "end of list" byte shift you need D163 to be greater than 01 somehow. How did you go about doing it? I suppose there may be a suitable spot somewhere that gives you more than 01 Pokémon and eliminates the FFs, though poison decrementing unrelated bytes may be problematic.

Edit: I found if you view F4's status here you get 4Eh (dec:78) Pokémon and the FF is kept so you can swap Pokémon, if the first move was Super Glitch. You can then swap the 2nd Pokémon with the tenth, go into the Pokémon Center and warp to HoF with your expanded items pack. A glitch box set will appear while tossing that may stop the items from actually being tossed, but it didn't prevent me from trying to toss again, which gave me Yes/No, and I successfully warped to HoF.

[img]http://i7.minus.com/ibsoY4nNH8QE7Q.png[/img]

I had 5 Pokémon that slowed down the ending sequence (because it had to show my Pokémon), though. In your video the party Pokémon didn't even show after you viewed F4's summary from the PC box and did the 00->FF, withdraw thing.

By the way, may you release your VBM please? I relied on cheats to get to where you got (I copied you but I got an unlucky Special stat for Bulbasaur for Brock Through Walls so hacked in Calciums). Instead of doing a non optimal TAS myself, I thought it'd be better to use yours.

Date: 2014-12-15 18:32:05
I used Bizhawk instead of VBA because Bizhawk has an accurate framerate (yeah yeah nitpicky about accuracy)

Here's the Bkm for the tas: Link

Changing anything in the TAS will probably affect the RNG, so be careful when changing parts of the TAS (example: the dumb menu flash in unknown dungeon 2F was the result of myself testing different joypad output combinations to get Ditto on the first encounter :P)

Date: 2014-12-16 16:36:10
Thanks lucky.

Posted by: Blaki
Date: 2014-12-29 16:48:11
Hi, I saw this glitch a few days ago and I wanted to know if it work in the french version of Pokemon Yellow. And judging by this pic, where it should say I received an Omanyte instead of this pokemon (hex:E0), I think yes !
Actually, I made small variations from Torchickens' method :

Date: 2014-12-31 10:13:39
Nice! :)

Thanks Blaki. I'm glad you liked my glitch and adapted it for the French version of Yellow.

Posted by: PC4SH
Date: 2015-04-28 11:41:52
I know it's been a while since this has been posted but i've been trying this to get index 202 PC4SH, and i'm unable to encounter pokemon in grass after fixing fly locations, which means after i get to cerulean to rectify my name i can't get into a battle. to finish the glitch. any suggestions?

Date: 2015-05-07 17:09:37
I did the glitch again and found instead of entering a battle, you can indeed just keep viewing LM4's summary from the spot to get the 16 Pokémon and then proceed to clean things up and re-enable saving.

However, a freeze happened even when trying to deposit Cancel. A work-around to this was to deposit one of the Pokémon above Cancel e.g. the LM4 and only then start depositing Cancels.

Note: After activating Super Glitch from the party menu, the B button may be disabled, but can be re-enabled by selecting a Pokémon and backing out.

I am sorry for the late reply.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-06-22 04:18:27
Hello Torchickens,

This glitch makes actually a lot of sense while used within the save abuse glitch. Although there is many ways to get any Pokémon, this appears to be a very good way to start the game with any Pokémon of your choice.

If you start the game with save abuse, your first Pokémon is a Charizard 'M with 65535 in attack. But you also have a Dome Fossil in position 31 of the items thanks to a standard 1>10 underflow. Here are the steps you have to follow :

Date: 2015-06-23 06:09:42
Great. Thanks!