Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Fighting with no pokemon in Pokemon Red - Page 1

Fighting with no pokemon in Pokemon Red

Posted by: Cryptic_Lynx
Date: 2015-01-08 12:22:10
Every time I try this glitch, I can never escape from the "Wild" without my game crashing. Is there a way to view what happens after the battle?

Re: Fighting with no pokemon in Pokemon Red

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-08 13:25:32

Every time I try this glitch, I can never escape from the "Wild" without my game crashing. Is there a way to view what happens after the battle?

Do you mean the white screen? That can be fixed with the code 0100C4CF. However, nothing noticeable happens. This freeze doesn't occur in Yellow.

The wild appeared glitch apparently works because the game tries to 'draw' too many Poké Ball graphics and corrupts data. TheZZAZZGlitch has a great explanation here. By overflowing the buffer, the game corrupts addresses greater than $CEEE.

This includes CFC4 to an odd value (hex:33 - fainted Pokémon ball); and when it is an odd value, the game freezes after battle in Red/Blue. The CoolTrainer glitch can also corrupt CFC4 (or CFC3 in Yellow), but the game doesn't freeze if CFC3 is odd in Yellow.

Re: Fighting with no pokemon in Pokemon Red

Posted by: Cryptic_Lynx
Date: 2015-01-08 21:11:32
Oh, thanks. I figured that there would be Super Glitch-like effects if I managed to escape, like corrupted map tiles and such, though, that's a bit disappointing.