Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"Escape from battle using a Bicycle" effects - how to replicate? (Blue) - Page 1

"Escape from battle using a Bicycle" effects - how to replicate? (Blue)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-02-13 10:37:19
In an 'old' video by TheZZAZZGlitch, he changes D057 (00=out of battle, 01=wild battle, 02=Trainer battle) in a Trainer battle to 00 and uses the Bicycle, and then somehow he escapes from battle and 'flies' into a cave with corrupted Pokémon.

When I try this with the same Gambler and 010057D0 the game thinks I used a turn and the battle just continues from then on normally but with the wrong music and messed up graphics.

Is there a way to always get effects like in his video? Was an additional cheat used?

Re: Escape from battle with a Bicycle - how do you replicate these glitchy effects?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-13 10:43:46
I don't know if Crystal_ used that code too but this video of his appears to confirm the behavior you got.

Re: "Escape from battle using a Bicycle" effects - how to replicate? (Blue)

Date: 2015-02-13 13:47:11
Yes, that's what I got originally. But now I'm getting different effects; namely the game freezing (not allowing the next turn!) sometimes with a white screen and sometimes not. Interesting.

Non-white screen freeze:
[img]http://i2.minus.com/iRQi73wgmtdWs.png[/img]

This LM4 doesn't know Super Glitch by the way.

Edit: Did this in BGB and the game executed A71A in SRAM, running an unknown opcode at A728. By viewing a glitch Pokémon's sprite, you can corrupt the data around there.

Edit 2: D4E0 goes into A78C when you save. If extrapolation works, D46E=>A71A. So we may be able to execute arbitrary code based on D46E+. You could set up code in your PC items (starting at D53A).

Edit 3: Though D46E goes into A71A when you save on BGB, it changes to something else when you go in battle and it can change again through glitch Pokémon sprites. What if you save within battle using 9F? That writes the data again, but unfortunately the game froze after the save and the freeze may not be preventable never mind: the screen turns white but you can still open the menu and continue to do stuff.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-13 17:18:28
Interesting findings. And speaking of "9F", TheZZAZZGlitch recently published a video about it.

Date: 2015-02-13 17:44:00
Thanks. Yes, I saw it. I really liked it.

I want to see if you can alter the stack pointer (although I don't understand what it is, I know when the game finishes an operation with ret you can make it go elsewhere though) with any other item(s) in Red/Blue/Yellow and possibly change the grass wild encounter list after we've come to a conclusion about this. I have seen items that don't freeze the game after one use but do after multiple uses.

By using a rod in battle with D057 as 00, you may also execute code from A71A.

I'm pretty excited about this as a new arbitrary code method even though I don't know of a way of getting D057 as 00 in battle. Food for thought CoolTrainer (or other Super Glitch moves when they are viewed but that would cause more corruption) may write to it because the view move corruption effect writes to CF4B and beyond. However, is D057 beyond the size of the screen? and say it is writable, could getting the game to write to it mess up the battle/cause a freeze?

Edit: Doing this in Yellow made the game execute CFCC in RAM, hmm. Green v1.0: C001. Pocket Monsters Blue (JP): A71A

Edit 2: Well having a 50h tile on the last place on the screen possible (using the code 015007C5) can corrupt as far as D0C6. And D057 is one of the screen tiles you can alter (a 39 one time but changed to 23 after I used a different position).I should have known this because I knew you could alter addresses later than D057 like D05F (hooked Pokémon flag) and D078 which forces a victory/flee when it is a non 00 value if you back out of the fight menu. The BGB coordinate that you need to be 00 (for writing D057 to 00) is x=08 y=0C.

[img]http://i1.minus.com/iGd2m9rnWZqwA.png[/img]