Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Catching pokemon over level 100 and keeping them over level 100 - Page 1

Catching pokemon over level 100 and keeping them over level 100

Posted by: jmasciscow
Date: 2015-04-10 18:20:01
I'm posting because I read about catching +100s with the old man glitch on bulbapedia and it says that that pokemon with a level over 100 will go down to 100 after it experiences battle. I haven't played my red version for years, but I remember that I found a way to catch pokemon over 100 and keep their levels even after using them in battle. I'm not sure of all the details since I haven't played in a long time, but this is what I remember:

I believe I used the old man glitch to find pokemon over level 100 on the east coast of cinnabar island. I fought the pokemon down to a very low HP and caught it. Then, without healing the pokemon at the pokecenter, beating the entire Elite Four with just that pokemon (it has to be the top spot in your team) would stabilize the level over 100.

Now here is a detail I am hazy on. What I remember doing was catching the pokemon with a full team so that it went to my PC. I then flew to the Elite Four, deposited my entire team and withdrew just the +100 level pokemon. I think that getting the pokemon in your team immediately after catching it and moving it to the top spot ruined the glitch and the +100 pokemon would go down to 100. Or maybe it is only critical to have only the +100 level pokemon in your team and moving it doesn't matter.

Anyway, the result would be that the +100 pokemon would stay at its level and would have several HP bars that stretched across the screen.

Just to be clear, the steps I would recommend are to have a full team, use the old man glitch, battle the +100 pokemon down so you can catch it with an ultra ball, fly to the Elite Four, empty your whole team into the PC and withdraw just the +100 pokemon, don't heal it, then use it to beat the whole Elite Four.

Is anyone familiar with this type of situation?

Re: Catching pokemon over level 100 and keeping them over level 100

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-04-11 17:27:54
I tried what you did, using a level 139 Mewtwo with exactly 1 HP. It dropped to level 100 and from then on its experience would not increase, but it was rewarding anyway because its HP underflowed from 1 to 65430, displayed as "E30", I have heard of people getting negative HP in Generation I before, but now there is a method to do it drilled into me.

I know of a confirmed method to level up beyond 100. When you perform the Pokémon merge glitch (Q glitch) to make a hybrid of two Pokémon, the maximum experience is capped to the donor (summary sprite) and the growth rate (e.g. experience=4n^3/5) is determined by the recipient Pokémon (in battle sprite colour).

This means, say, having a Mewtwo (High cap/Slow growth rate)/Chansey hybrid (Fast growth rate) would allow that Pokémon to level up over 100, because Mewtwo's maximum experience is 1,250,000 and his "Slow" growth rate is supposed to make 1,250,000 be the exact level 100 experience, but changing it to "Fast" would allow this Pokémon to level up to 116 with 1,250,000 experience.

The base stats are taken from the recipient and TM/HM compatibilities from the donor. If the recipient is a very strong glitch Pokémon with also a fast enough growth rate and the donor is a glitch Pokémon with extremely high experience at level 100, then it is possible to keep a Pokémon at level 255 (list of growth rates, video) e.g. with Pokémon Red's hex:E1 and hex:F1 glitch Pokémon.

I understand it may be hard to remember, but was the in battle colour of your Pokémon wrong? That would suggest it became an unstable hybrid.

Also, if you have any questions/test requests, let me know, I'll be happy to help. :)

Edit: Tried this with a level 146 Missingno/without the Pokémon going into the PC and these things didn't work either.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-04-12 10:12:50

I know of a confirmed method to level up beyond 100. When you perform the Pokémon merge glitch (Q glitch) to make a hybrid of two Pokémon, the maximum experience is capped to the donor (summary sprite) and the growth rate (e.g. experience=4n^3/5) is determined by the recipient Pokémon (in battle sprite colour).

(You could just use rare candy too if you're lazy!)

Posted by: rortik
Date: 2015-04-12 17:28:58
In Yellow you can use a regular form of Missingno. to easily level most Pokemon up to 255.

I find the easiest way to obtain a Missingno. in Yellow version is to use Arbitrary Code Execution via ws m to change the enemy species within battle. This skips the cry of Yellow Missingno. and prevents crashes.

If you have set up Arbitrary Code Execution it should be easy enough to catch whatever you want to merge with this Missingno. which you can easily have caught at any level you so choose.

This makes pretty much anything in the game a piece of cake, including crazy hard glitch trainers such as the famous "Agatha Ultima"

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-04-13 13:44:10

(You could just use rare candy too if you're lazy!)

Yeah. I was talking about keeping things at level 100 even after battle, but I probably should have mentioned that since not everyone may know.

In Yellow you can use a regular form of Missingno. to easily level most Pokemon up to 255.

I find the easiest way to obtain a Missingno. in Yellow version is to use Arbitrary Code Execution via ws m to change the enemy species within battle. This skips the cry of Yellow Missingno. and prevents crashes.

If you have set up Arbitrary Code Execution it should be easy enough to catch whatever you want to merge with this Missingno. which you can easily have caught at any level you so choose.

This makes pretty much anything in the game a piece of cake, including crazy hard glitch trainers such as the famous "Agatha Ultima"

Yes. Yellow normal Missingno.'s experience cap is extremely high; 16,136,684. When merging it with EBh/EEh/F3h/F6h who have the second slowest growth rate in Yellow (experience at level 100: 1,634,466) the Pokémon grew to level 233 with 16,136,684 as the maximum experience. Many recipients (controlling base stats as well as growth rate) can grow to level 255 with it, including Mewtwo and ideal glitch Pokémon like X - x, (hex:C4).

Incidentally, I think Yellow Missingno.'s experience calculation results in only negative numbers for levels 0 through 255 and I don't know if you can have a stable Yellow Missingno. ever grow past level 1 after battle.

I think a trick to get it easier than arbitrary code execution (if you can trade) and if you're unfortunate with getting it with Trainer-Fly/Special encounter is to simply trade a regular Missingno. from Red/Blue into Yellow.

Or if the game cooperates with CoolTrainer's random name (unsure if it's more common than Red/Blue), you can use CoolTrainer ("-" move) corruption after opening the Pokémon menu in battle with no inverted sprites. This turns the opponent into a level 127 Missingno.

Note that unlike Red/Blue, the only know Yellow CoolTrainer tricks are Missingno. level 127 and Horsea level 127 (if you do the trick above with inverted sprites) because at least normally you can't carry over overworld cached screen data into a battle.

You can't do the Transform-moves trick to get the "-" move as the first move in Yellow. So for an option requiring no Trainers (though this would be possible if there's a Trainerless way to get a x255 item stack for box underflow's Trainerless Special encounter in Yellow) you'd have to trade a Ditto (or theoretically any Pokémon) knowing it.

You can catch . (hex:C1) with Special encounter if it doesn't freeze on the opponent's side, which at least on my save is more common than Yellow Missingno. freezing, and then level it up to 16 or 22 to learn -, which you can teach as the first move for the move forgetting prompt. Other applicable Pokémon can be found here; the others in Yellow seem to be only above level 100 or non-Trainer-Fly Trainers.

An unconfirmed way might be via the box byte shift glitch. You may know a variation of this to obtain any glitch Pokémon called the remaining HP glitch with a remaining HP of 255 modulo 256. If you do it with a remaining PP of 255, you can shift the moves upwards including blank moves and data beyond slot 4 interpreted as a move, but unfortunately that is assumed to require (w/o arbitrary code) a box 1 that was never filled.

Just to note another option, you could probably trade a Pokémon with no moves via bad clone glitch/Coin Case back to Generation I. I haven't tested that though.