Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Saffron City 'odd Rocket' glitch - Page 1

Saffron City 'odd Rocket' glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-06-20 14:08:32
Spoink uploaded a video of a glitch involving the Rocket closest north to the Silph Co. building sign who blocks a house before you rescue Silph Co., where after you move down he appears elsewhere momentarily on the screen (top corner but not top left corner) and disappears.

The steps are:

1. Leave and enter saffron city.
2. Talk to rocket guarding house.
3. Go in the space between the houses on the left, downwards, until the rocket is on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAqZwr3Yv4

I tried these steps but I unfortunately wasn't able to replicate the glitch on both an emulator and physical cartridge.

On the emulator, I tried it both for when a Rocket doesn't block the Silph Co. building (if you have saved Mr. Fuji) and for when a Rocket does block Silph Co.

However, on my physical cartridge I have only tried it for when a Rocket blocks the Silph Co. building so far, on a save that got to Saffron City via save abuse.

I wonder why it wasn't working. Is anybody else able to replicate it?

Re: Saffron City 'odd Rocket' glitch

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-06-20 17:12:08
I wasn't able to reproduce this glitch (with an emulated french version) using save abuse, or gameshark warp code from the beginning of the game. Weird.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-06-21 04:54:30

I wasn't able to reproduce this glitch (with an emulated french version) using save abuse, or gameshark warp code from the beginning of the game. Weird.

Hmm, OK. Thanks for trying though. :D

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-06-21 09:57:11
I can't reproduce it on Japanese Red v1.0 in BGB. This seems to be a glitch in the literal sense of the word (temporary, random issue) and not a bug (an error in the system or program that's reproducible by following a given set of steps) ;)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-06-22 04:21:04
Yep. We can probably try any ways to access Saffron, with many conditions (badges, etc.) but I'm not sure it would change something. How many chances there are that this glitch would be only active if you gave the drink to the guard ?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-06-22 04:54:34

How many chances there are that this glitch would be only active if you gave the drink to the guard ?

Well, I gave the guard a drink and tried replicating the behavior but it didn't change the outcome.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-06-23 12:17:59
I will try to do this on a different save file, i seriously don't even know what i did, maybe walking in and out of the guard house triggered it.

Edit: I tried again and the guard disappeared completely. It is probably my cartridge, (the label is scratched a bit, too  :P )

Posted by: rocketglitch2
Date: 2016-07-09 06:24:59
Apologies for bringing this one back from the dead, but I came here to verify this one.

I found my old Gameboy color and Pokemon blue cartridge, and on playing it for nostalgia's sake chanced upon the same thing happening. I left the Silph building, went up and talked to the Rocket guarding the house and descended into the alley, and a Rocket phantom appeared on the screen on the edge of the Silph building. Curiously it wasn't in the same spot as in the video.
EDIT: actually, it depends on where you walk: taking the left side of the alley it happens as in the video; on the right side, the Rocket appears on the edge of the building.

For completeness, I hold 6 badges (in some order) and flew to Saffron from Viridian, after which I wandered into and out of the Silph building and found the bug as described. I then found this post after a search for more info on the bug.