Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Super Glitch corruption questions - Page 1

Super Glitch corruption questions

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-08-01 06:33:56
Hey there,

I'd like to understand more about how Super Glitch behave, most particularly how do we control it as we do in Fossil Conversion ou Doko-Kashira Door Glitch for example. I have read GCL's wiki page about it, Bulbapedia's too, but still have some questions.

I basically understand the fact that the move takes his name from somewhere in the RAM, and that it corrupts data starting from D0E1. But that's a starting point right, is the number of addresses affected by the corruption always the same or totally random ?

What particularly I don't get is why for some glitches in which we use SG as the trigger, we put three moves with a total of 27 or 28 letters before the move. I mean, I saw this on bulbapedia :

StartingLocation = D0E1 + MoveLengths + NumberOfMovesBeforeSuperGlitch

So I understand the idea is to change the starting location, but I don't get how and why this gives you access beyond the sixth slot. If the idea is just to change the "7th slot" FF to something else, is it really necessary to shift this location using a precise number of characters ? I'm not sure to understand what gets corrupted and how this equation works.

Thanks a lot for the help !