Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

New person intro plus some glitches, traps, ect. - Page 1

New person intro plus some glitches, traps, ect.

Posted by: deante0
Date: 2015-08-20 23:29:34
Hello I'm a novice exploiter and this will be my first post, its going to cover a vast array of topics I've found or am curious about.

I would very much like suggestions on roms, emulators, and recording programs. I've been working completely with cartridge and my old GBC, they are nice, but I am feeling certain limitations with them, mostly in speed. So if you like, please feel free to suggest an emulator or rom that is most similar to the original cartridge, I did just download the emulator Visual Boy Advance 1.8.0 Beta3 and the rom Pokemon yellow U [C][BF].

While I was collecting the Ditto trick accessible glitch pokemon RBY (191) - (199) I was experimenting with level 1 pokemon and found a trap (which i will be writing an article for tomorrow) and that the GlitchDex entries are incomplete. I am cautious to edit any of the GlitchDex, or its entries, since its the only database currently functioning and I'd hate to break it so I thought I'd ask permission before hand. I would also like to ask what amount of proof I'd need for posts, it seems video is a common one.

Anyways the trap I found involves the EXP underflow trick, any pokemon stored in the PC with a negative valued exp will immediately become "stuck" in the PC attempting to withdraw this pokemon will cause a lockup. It will also occur if given to the daycare man if the pokemon is taken back immediately. Current pokemon i know to get caught (which is severally fucking annoying for me) are X - x (Y 196), u (Y 199), a (RB 192), h poke (RB 195), LM4 (RB 198), and Nidoking. I also know that at least X - x will jump to level 100 given small exp values.

Back to the GlitchDex and it being incomplete, If a u (Y 199) is leveled up from 1 it will learn superglitch at level 2 and TM 25 at level 5. These are perhaps specific to my cartridge issue (I think i read somewhere there are different issues of the game is this true?) or just don't happen on emulators.

Anyways I'll be posting more findings soon, I hope. Sorry for the massive and slightly random info bomb. Nice to meet you all.

Re: New person intro plus some glitches, traps, ect.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2015-08-21 01:10:52
Welcome!

I would very much like suggestions on roms, emulators, and recording programs. I've been working completely with cartridge and my old GBC, they are nice, but I am feeling certain limitations with them, mostly in speed. So if you like, please feel free to suggest an emulator or rom that is most similar to the original cartridge, I did just download the emulator Visual Boy Advance 1.8.0 Beta3 and the rom Pokemon yellow U [C][BF].

Can't give you too much advice on roms :P.

For emulators, don't use the original VBA (it's extremely old).  I recommend using bgb, but there's also VBA-M and VBA-RR, which are updated versions of VBA.

For screen recording, I recommend OBS, which can be configured to save to files (it defaults to livestreaming). 

Videos generally work well enough for evidence, and also generally provides a good way to make things reproducible.

I actually haven't been too active on these forums for a while, so I can't answer many of your other questions.  But the glitches you describe sound interesting.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-08-21 02:10:33
[BF] in your ROM name stands for Bung fix, which means its been altered to work with a particular Game Boy flash cartridge. A clean ROM dump would be tagged [!] instead. Theres only one (accurate) version of the English Pokémon Yellow ROM, although there are four different versions of the Japanese release, which may have been what you read about.

The experience underflow glitch, and the freeze caused when withdrawing the Pokémon from the PC, both depend on the Pokémons experience group. Torchickens made a list of glitch Pokémon by experience group here, and luckytyphlosion posted in that same thread a spreadsheet of the level-up behavior for each experience group in Red/Blue (theyre different in Yellow), showing that some Pokémon will actually freeze the game when withdrawn from the PC at different levels.

I was able to confirm that u (Y 199) learns super glitch (hex C0) at level 2 and TM25 at level 5. I wouldve thought that someone, at some point, had systematically extracted all this information from the game, but I guess not! Maybe I should

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-21 12:18:28
Welcome to the forums deante0! Have fun researching.

There is a website that documents the filenames, MD5s, etc. of 'good' ROM dumps called DAT-O-MATIC. This is the entry for a 'good' Pokémon Yellow dump.

The MD5 is like a digital fingerprint. Two exact files have the same MD5. Change one byte and you will most likely get a completely different MD5. Using an MD5 checker, such as this one, you can check to see whether you have the ROM on the database.

I got the ROM with the filename you mentioned. Presuming we got the same one, it may not make much difference to use it compared to the one on DAT-O-MATIC.

The only differences are:

0000014E: 04 > FA
0000014F: 7C > 2C
00003E9C: EA > 00
00003E9E: 60 > 00
00003EAC: EA > 00
00003EAE: 60 > 00
00005E02: EA > 00
00005E04: 60 > 00
00005E19: EA > 00
00005E1B: 60 > 00
00005E22: EA > 00
00005E24: 60 > 00
00073E27: EA > 00
00073E29: 60 > 00
00073EA1: EA > 00
00073EA3: 60 > 00
00073EAC: EA > 00
00073EAE: 60 > 00

You can check this with fc /b (file1) (file2) in command line.

For files with many differences, Wack0 taught me a way to print differences in a text file using the Command Line. Sadly I cannot remember the way. I will ask him.

While I was collecting the Ditto trick accessible glitch pokemon RBY (191) - (199) I was experimenting with level 1 pokemon and found a trap (which i will be writing an article for tomorrow) and that the GlitchDex entries are incomplete. I am cautious to edit any of the GlitchDex, or its entries, since its the only database currently functioning and I'd hate to break it so I thought I'd ask permission before hand. I would also like to ask what amount of proof I'd need for posts, it seems video is a common one.

You have my permission for you to edit them. The GlitchDex entries used to be generated like this with data. The contents of the wiki articles is the data, but apparently according to Adrian Malacoda (our webmaster) we no longer have a working MediaWiki extension to make it like in that archived page.

Anyways the trap I found involves the EXP underflow trick, any pokemon stored in the PC with a negative valued exp will immediately become "stuck" in the PC attempting to withdraw this pokemon will cause a lockup. It will also occur if given to the daycare man if the pokemon is taken back immediately. Current pokemon i know to get caught (which is severally fucking annoying for me) are X - x (Y 196), u (Y 199), a (RB 192), h poke (RB 195), LM4 (RB 198), and Nidoking. I also know that at least X - x will jump to level 100 given small exp values.

Yes. It works the way like in the spreadsheet Luckytyphlosion mentioned, as Háčky said, and we can look up the experience groups of glitch Pokémon using the list I made.

I wasn't aware that this also occurs with the Day Care man, I guess it's not surprising, but interesting.

Back to the GlitchDex and it being incomplete, If a u (Y 199) is leveled up from 1 it will learn superglitch at level 2 and TM 25 at level 5. These are perhaps specific to my cartridge issue (I think i read somewhere there are different issues of the game is this true?) or just don't happen on emulators.

Most glitch Pokémon get their level up data from the ROM, and you should get the same results on a real cartridge and an emulator. An exception is glitch Pokémon EA in Pokémon Red and Blue, which takes its level up data from 0x8124 in VRAM, as Crystal_ has documented (video). It will learn moves if leveled up via Rare Candy but not in battle.

Anyways I'll be posting more findings soon, I hope. Sorry for the massive and slightly random info bomb. Nice to meet you all.

No problem. I like posts like that. Nice to meet you too.

I was able to confirm that u (Y 199) learns super glitch (hex C0) at level 2 and TM25 at level 5. I wouldve thought that someone, at some point, had systematically extracted all this information from the game, but I guess not! Maybe I should

Actually, Echinodermata (level up moves, evolutions) and Photon Phoenix/Yuzihax (TM/HM moves) have done such a thing and TheZZAZZGlitch made text files with glitch Trainer data.

I have a copy of this data as well as some CoolTrainer data (good invalid map exit Glitch Cities for CoolTrainer, how to make your own Glitch Cities by adjusting the event displacement bytes to get a Pokémon of your choice) Luckytyphlosion showed us here.

Note that Echinodermata's data lists some by trade evolutions. I tried one and it did not work. The under level 100 stone evolutions worked however, if done via the evolve without trade glitch (a glitch that was fixed in Yellow).

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2015-08-21 12:30:30

For files with many differences, Wack0 taught me a way to print differences in a text file using the Command Line. Sadly I cannot remember the way. I will ask him.

It's [tt]fc /b (file1) (file2) > file.txt[/tt].  The [tt]>[/tt] redirects the output.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-21 12:41:54

It's [tt]fc /b (file1) (file2) > file.txt[/tt].  The [tt]>[/tt] redirects the output.

That worked. Thank you very much!

Posted by: deante0
Date: 2015-08-21 19:50:58
Oh a few other notes, my laptop HATES this site. Why? No idea. Second, I'm terrible with code in almost every respect, so I'll probably be learning a great deal in that regard and annoying you all. Could someone write out the way to make a compressed link to the forums? Thanks for all the suggestions and checks for emulators and roms they will be very helpful. What else….

I thought the same honestly that's why I wanted to bring it up.

Actually, Echinodermata (level up moves, evolutions) and Photon Phoenix/Yuzihax (TM/HM moves) have done such a thing and TheZZAZZGlitch made text files with glitch Trainer data.

I have a copy of this data as well as some CoolTrainer data (good invalid map exit Glitch Cities for CoolTrainer, how to make your own Glitch Cities by adjusting the event displacement bytes to get a Pokémon of your choice) Luckytyphlosion showed us here.

Note that Echinodermata's data lists some by trade evolutions. I tried one and it did not work. The under level 100 stone evolutions worked however, if done via the evolve without trade glitch (a glitch that was fixed in Yellow).

I'm glad someone did complete it, you have it, and even that it might be on the forums, but the major pages, which are most easily accessible, are incomplete so perhaps I should move the pertinent data around sometime. Though I guess leaving it that way is a good method to recruit new members….its why I joined.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-08-22 16:38:58

There is a website that documents the filenames, MD5s, etc. of 'good' ROM dumps called DAT-O-MATIC. This is the entry for a 'good' Pokémon Yellow dump.

The MD5 is like a digital fingerprint. Two exact files have the same MD5. Change one byte and you will most likely get a completely different MD5. Using an MD5 checker, such as this one, you can check to see whether you have the ROM on the database.

Don't use MD5.. collision attacks have been performed successfully on it, in practise, not just in theory. Use SHA256 at least.

fc /b file1 file2 > diff.txt

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2015-08-23 19:13:47

Don't use MD5.. collision attacks have been performed successfully on it, in practise, not just in theory. Use SHA256 at least.

When no-intro uses CRC32, MD5, and SHA1, all of which are broken at this point, theres not really much you can do.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-08-24 05:24:25

When no-intro uses CRC32, MD5, and SHA1, all of which are broken at this point, theres not really much you can do.

[me=Wack0]facepalms[/me]