Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Anedapami hybrid? - Page 1

Anedapami hybrid?

Posted by: Sounansu
Date: 2015-08-25 16:41:26
This is my first post here, sorry if my English isn't perfect, I'm from Germany.

So I've been beaten Green 1.0 using the Dokokashira Door glitch and used the fix where you can get 25 Eevees. I decided to keep playing from there. I got to the point where you can choose between Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. I chose Hitmonlee. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing next, I think I was just switching around pokemon in my party, but somehow, my regular Hitmonlee was gone and instead, I had a Hitmonlee with a Charizard sprite. Sometimes it hides the pokemon in below it in the party, just like Anedapami, but sometimes it shows them completely glitched. Not sure what that depends on. I tried playing around with it and it's stable in battle, but when it's defeated, it can't be healed at the Pokemon Center. So… is this known already or did I just discover a new glitch? If it is known, how exactly is it performed, because it just happened to me by accident… :-\

Re: Anedapami hybrid?

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-08-26 09:37:50
Glitched Pokémon sprites are a common occurrence with Anedapami, and the go away USUALLY when you close the menu. It hiding the sprites, and not being able to heal, is unique to Anedapami, because the game stops reading at the Pokémon terminator, which is value FF, the same as Anedapami, or Charizard 'M.

Date: 2015-08-28 09:32:11
Ah, okay. I didn't know Anedepami was the Japanese Charizard 'M. I couldn't find any information about it because I searched for the wrong name (The wiki page for the dokokashira door glitch says 'Anedapami' instead of 'Anedepami'). I've also noticed other pokemon in my PC being 'merged' the same way.

By the way, can Anedepami prevent you from withdrawing pokemon from the PC? Because I did the level 100 Mew glitch, but my party was full, so it got transfered to the PC, but when I try to withdraw it, the game freezes. I'm thinking Anedepami might have something to do with it (it was in the same box), since it already glitches the pokemon in the PC. Or does it have something to do with me using the Mew glitch while the WTW select glitch was active?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-08-29 09:41:31

This is my first post here, sorry if my English isn't perfect, I'm from Germany.

So I've been beaten Green 1.0 using the Dokokashira Door glitch and used the fix where you can get 25 Eevees. I decided to keep playing from there. I got to the point where you can choose between Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. I chose Hitmonlee. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing next, I think I was just switching around pokemon in my party, but somehow, my regular Hitmonlee was gone and instead, I had a Hitmonlee with a Charizard sprite. Sometimes it hides the pokemon in below it in the party, just like Anedapami, but sometimes it shows them completely glitched. Not sure what that depends on. I tried playing around with it and it's stable in battle, but when it's defeated, it can't be healed at the Pokemon Center. So… is this known already or did I just discover a new glitch? If it is known, how exactly is it performed, because it just happened to me by accident… :-\

Welcome to the forums Sounansu. That's OK. Your English is good!

When you perform the dokokashira door glitch, you receive Anedepami because you are swapping the Pokémon end terminator (hex:FF) with the first Pokémon, and even if you fill your party with five Eevee, you will still have the Anedepami in the party.

I'm not sure if you did because you mention it happened after withdrawing Hitmonlee and just switching Pokémon around in the party, but do you remember if you happened to activate any event that removes a Pokémon from a list? Did you also have an Anedepami directly above Hitmonlee?

What you describe is typical of a hybrid glitch Pokémon. If you still have access to the save, can you try putting it into the Day Care and tell me if you get Anedepami or Hitmonlee after you withdraw it please?

The Charizard sprite and "Andedepami"  behaviour definitely means it's using byte 1 as FF. Anedepami is hex:FF (like Charizard 'M from Red/Blue and Q from Yellow), so it works for the Pokémon merge glitch.

The Pokémon merge glitch is a known glitch that occurs when you remove a Pokémon before hex:FF from a list (by depositing, withdrawing from a box, putting the Pokémon into Day Care) when the list is like this: (Pokémon 1), hex:FF Pokémon, one-four Pokémon (note you could also have two-four Pokémon before the hex:FF and one-three Pokémon and also withdraw one of those before FF to activate the glitch).

When you perform the merge glitch, the Pokémon below hex:FF basically hybridize with the first Pokémon above them. A hybrid is a Pokémon with the traits of one Pokémon (such as its sprite, available TM/HM moves) and another.

The merge glitch affects species byte 1; which controls species name (from status page 2), learnset, mini-sprite, evolutions, TM/HM compatibility, type shown on the summary screen, experience cap. Species byte 2 (controlling in-battle palette, effective typing, growth rate, "real" Day Care Pokémon, growth rate) remains unchanged; so if you hybridized Pidgey with Mew, the Pokémon would become a non-hybrid Mew again when taking it into the Day Care and .

The addresses of species byte 1 and 2 for party Pokémon 1 in Red/Green are D124 ,D12B respectively. So the GameShark codes 01xx24D1, 01xx2BD1 change the data.

On a technical basis the merge glitch works like this:

The game is supposed to shift the species bytes back when the number of Pokémon decreases by removal until it finds an FF (in this case the game has to shift Pokémon species byte 1s back), but the FF signals the game to stop shifting data back after it.

Imagine the following party or box list:

(Pokémon 1)
Q
Hitmonlee
Pidgey
Cancel

The data looks like this:

xx FF 2B 24 FF

xx: Pokémon 1
FF: Pokémon 2 - Anedepami
2B: Pokémon 3 - Hitmonlee
24: Pokémon 4 - Pidgey

If you remove Pokémon 1 the data becomes:

FF FF 2B 24 FF

The game was 'supposed to' shift 2B and 24 back, so that Hitmonlee becomes Pokémon 2, Pidgey becomes Pokémon 3 but the FF (Anedepami) told it not to.

It now means that the data would look like:

FF: Pokémon 1 - Anedepami
FF: Pokémon 2 - 'Anedepami'
2B: Pokémon 3 - 'Hitmonlee'
24: Pokémon 4 - 'Pidgey' (unselectable if you had 4 Pokémon in the list because now we technically have 3)

Though this looks normal, the Pokémon in quotation marks have become hybrids.

The reason is that the game apparently still alters different areas of data as if the byte shifts back were to occur. So Anedepami (Pokémon 2) ends up with the nickname, moves, species byte 2 of Hitmonlee (Pokémon 3) because it's as if that Pokémon was Pokémon 2.

Similarly, the Hitmonlee would have Pidgey's nickname, moves and species byte 2.

Pokémon have two species bytes in memory. The first byte (which you can track/alter for party Pokémon 1 with the code 01xx24D1) controls the species name (from status page 2), learnset, mini-sprite, evolutions, TM/HM compatibility, type shown on the summary screen. The second byte (which you can track/alter for party Pokémon 1 with the code 01xx2BD1) controls the Pokémon's color palette in battle, effective typing (so a Gastly hybrid may be able to get hit by Normal moves) as well as the Pokémon you receive when the Pokémon is taken into Day Care and out.

Note about Pokémon 1 being replaced with FF:

When the game finds the first FF, the game replaces the byte before it with FF (which the max DVs and stat experience glitch abuses). This is because FF marks an end of list for Pokémon (and items) that is placed at number of Pokémon+1 (and number of Pokémon decreases, so the game has to create another FF). In the party menu, it hides Pokémon below it. The party menu will try to display Pokémon you don't even have (but often the 0 maximum HP glitch freezes the game if it tries to) and this is prevented by having FF at number of Pokémon +1.

Glitched Pokémon sprites are a common occurrence with Anedapami, and the go away USUALLY when you close the menu. It hiding the sprites, and not being able to heal, is unique to Anedapami, because the game stops reading at the Pokémon terminator, which is value FF, the same as Anedapami, or Charizard 'M.

This.

Ah, okay. I didn't know Anedepami was the Japanese Charizard 'M. I couldn't find any information about it because I searched for the wrong name (The wiki page for the dokokashira door glitch says 'Anedapami' instead of 'Anedepami'). I've also noticed other pokemon in my PC being 'merged' the same way.

Fixed. Thanks for noting this error!

By the way, can Anedepami prevent you from withdrawing pokemon from the PC? Because I did the level 100 Mew glitch, but my party was full, so it got transfered to the PC, but when I try to withdraw it, the game freezes. I'm thinking Anedepami might have something to do with it (it was in the same box), since it already glitches the pokemon in the PC. Or does it have something to do with me using the Mew glitch while the WTW select glitch was active?

If you are referring to catching Mew at level 1 (where its experience calculation medium-slow gives it -54 experience points or 16,777,162 experience points and you can gain less than 54 experience to jump to level 100), a freeze will happen if Mew is sent to the PC and withdraw it. The same freeze will occur if you capture a level 0 'M (who is growth rate 1A (26 in decimal) in Red/Blue and it is sent to the PC).

The freeze depends on both the Pokémon's experience and its growth rate.

This table will tell you levels for when a freeze occurs.

In Red and Blue, the default experience for level 1 is documented as the only harmful medium-slow level. I don't know if this also applies to Red and Green. In both Red (English) and Green (Japanese), although level 0 gives negative experience for medium-slow, it is not (necessarily) affected.

Date: 2015-09-03 18:38:36
(Late) thanks for the thorough respone! That answered all of my questions and then some!

Welcome to the forums Sounansu. That's OK. Your English is good!

When you perform the dokokashira door glitch, you receive Anedepami because you are swapping the Pokémon end terminator (hex:FF) with the first Pokémon, and even if you fill your party with five Eevee, you will still have the Anedepami in the party.

I'm not sure if you did because you mention it happened after withdrawing Hitmonlee and just switching Pokémon around in the party, but do you remember if you happened to activate any event that removes a Pokémon from a list? Did you also have an Anedepami directly above Hitmonlee?

What you describe is typical of a hybrid glitch Pokémon. If you still have access to the save, can you try putting it into the Day Care and tell me if you get Anedepami or Hitmonlee after you withdraw it please?

I did have Anedepami in my party somewhere, I probably put it directly above Hitmonlee when I was switching pokemon. I'm not sure what you mean by 'removing a pokemon from a list', but I think I deposited one of my Eevees to make room for Hitmonlee if that's what you mean. I'll try the daycare thing when I get around to it.

The Charizard sprite and "Andedepami"  behaviour definitely means it's using byte 1 as FF. Anedepami is hex:FF (like Charizard 'M from Red/Blue and Q from Yellow), so it works for the Pokémon merge glitch.

The Pokémon merge glitch is a known glitch that occurs when you remove a Pokémon before hex:FF from a list (by depositing, withdrawing from a box, putting the Pokémon into Day Care) when the list is like this: (Pokémon 1), hex:FF Pokémon, one-four Pokémon (note you could also have two-four Pokémon before the hex:FF and one-three Pokémon and also withdraw one of those before FF to activate the glitch).

When you perform the merge glitch, the Pokémon below hex:FF basically hybridize with the first Pokémon above them. A hybrid is a Pokémon with the traits of one Pokémon (such as its sprite, available TM/HM moves) and another.

The merge glitch affects species byte 1; which controls species name (from status page 2), learnset, mini-sprite, evolutions, TM/HM compatibility, type shown on the summary screen, experience cap. Species byte 2 (controlling in-battle palette, effective typing, growth rate, "real" Day Care Pokémon, growth rate) remains unchanged; so if you hybridized Pidgey with Mew, the Pokémon would become a non-hybrid Mew again when taking it into the Day Care and .

The addresses of species byte 1 and 2 for party Pokémon 1 in Red/Green are D124 ,D12B respectively. So the GameShark codes 01xx24D1, 01xx2BD1 change the data.

On a technical basis the merge glitch works like this:

The game is supposed to shift the species bytes back when the number of Pokémon decreases by removal until it finds an FF (in this case the game has to shift Pokémon species byte 1s back), but the FF signals the game to stop shifting data back after it.

Imagine the following party or box list:

(Pokémon 1)
Q
Hitmonlee
Pidgey
Cancel

The data looks like this:

xx FF 2B 24 FF

xx: Pokémon 1
FF: Pokémon 2 - Anedepami
2B: Pokémon 3 - Hitmonlee
24: Pokémon 4 - Pidgey

If you remove Pokémon 1 the data becomes:

FF FF 2B 24 FF

The game was 'supposed to' shift 2B and 24 back, so that Hitmonlee becomes Pokémon 2, Pidgey becomes Pokémon 3 but the FF (Anedepami) told it not to.

It now means that the data would look like:

FF: Pokémon 1 - Anedepami
FF: Pokémon 2 - 'Anedepami'
2B: Pokémon 3 - 'Hitmonlee'
24: Pokémon 4 - 'Pidgey' (unselectable if you had 4 Pokémon in the list because now we technically have 3)

Though this looks normal, the Pokémon in quotation marks have become hybrids.

The reason is that the game apparently still alters different areas of data as if the byte shifts back were to occur. So Anedepami (Pokémon 2) ends up with the nickname, moves, species byte 2 of Hitmonlee (Pokémon 3) because it's as if that Pokémon was Pokémon 2.

Similarly, the Hitmonlee would have Pidgey's nickname, moves and species byte 2.

Pokémon have two species bytes in memory. The first byte (which you can track/alter for party Pokémon 1 with the code 01xx24D1) controls the species name (from status page 2), learnset, mini-sprite, evolutions, TM/HM compatibility, type shown on the summary screen. The second byte (which you can track/alter for party Pokémon 1 with the code 01xx2BD1) controls the Pokémon's color palette in battle, effective typing (so a Gastly hybrid may be able to get hit by Normal moves) as well as the Pokémon you receive when the Pokémon is taken into Day Care and out.

Note about Pokémon 1 being replaced with FF:

When the game finds the first FF, the game replaces the byte before it with FF (which the max DVs and stat experience glitch abuses). This is because FF marks an end of list for Pokémon (and items) that is placed at number of Pokémon+1 (and number of Pokémon decreases, so the game has to create another FF). In the party menu, it hides Pokémon below it. The party menu will try to display Pokémon you don't even have (but often the 0 maximum HP glitch freezes the game if it tries to) and this is prevented by having FF at number of Pokémon +1.

Yes, I've heard about that one. Not sure if I understand all the technical stuff, but I'll try it sometime.

Fixed. Thanks for noting this error!

No problem!

If you are referring to catching Mew at level 1 (where its experience calculation medium-slow gives it -54 experience points or 16,777,162 experience points and you can gain less than 54 experience to jump to level 100), a freeze will happen if Mew is sent to the PC and withdraw it. The same freeze will occur if you capture a level 0 'M (who is growth rate 1A (26 in decimal) in Red/Blue and it is sent to the PC).

The freeze depends on both the Pokémon's experience and its growth rate.

This table will tell you levels for when a freeze occurs.

In Red and Blue, the default experience for level 1 is documented as the only harmful medium-slow level. I don't know if this also applies to Red and Green. In both Red (English) and Green (Japanese), although level 0 gives negative experience for medium-slow, it is not (necessarily) affected.

Yes, that's the glitch I was referring to. Wow. Look at me thinking way too deep into things.  ;D