Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Creepiest 1st Generation Glitches - Page 1

Creepiest 1st Generation Glitches

Posted by: zeifyl
Date: 2015-10-02 15:01:26
So, it's October once again, and I think we should take this time to discuss the creepiest of the 1st Generation glitches (Both by appearance, effect, or any other category).
I'm also pondering what the ultimate creepy Glitch roster would be.

Re: Creepiest 1st Generation Glitches

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2015-10-03 16:12:48
Oooh, dis thread gon' be good!

Not sure what the ultimate Glitchmon roster would be, but mine is:

Charizard 'M: Functions as the CANCEL option, and turns Pokémon in the PC into clones of it.

h POKé: An 80ft tall, 6000lb monstrosity that dwarfs Groudon and has a different cry every time its stats are checked.

PPkmnP: Can turn the 5th item in the pack into a glitch item. His moveset isn't bad either; Thunder comes as a starting move, learns Pay Day at level 6 and learns Psychic at level 17.

Glitch (CA): A horrifying thing that reminds me of Giygas, and its back sprite is consistent with what it's front sprite is. It's learnset isn't that great (no poison STAB moves), but can learn Softboiled and Thunderbolt.

Yellow MissingNo: Regular MissingNo's boring. I want one that can multiply items but is also completely unstable and changes levels when it feels like it.

4. .: Just a favorite, he'd be my signature 'mon.

I'd definitely say Charizard 'M is the creepiest Glitchmon, since it cancels everything, and can turn other Pokémon into copies of it.

Not sure about creepiest overall glitch, but the ZZAZZ glitch is creepy as all hell, since it turns Trainers into Glitch Trainers, your Pokémon into level 153 exploding Bulbasaurs, and pretty much takes everything down with it. Save abuse on Yellow Version is also all sorts of nightmarish fun, giving you what looks like a bottomless supply of Glitchmon, which you can switch around to get glitch items, trigger wild encounters on the spot, and pretty much destroy everything.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2015-10-04 00:56:37
Probably this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQq6_xa8-U[/youtube]
(Link to video)

Posted by: kaikun97
Date: 2015-10-04 13:26:21
Agreed. Techincally this is a PCM cry and not a true 8-bit Gen1 cry but I count it :P

Date: 2015-10-22 14:50:57
I thank you all for the opinions, and Bert for the roster.

I do agree that 4 4 cry was absolutely horrifying!

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2015-10-25 18:36:12
I just found this video of mine, where I set [tt]$D60C[/tt] (which is the viridian pokemart / oak's parcel status flag) to [tt]0x68[/tt].  I don't think this can be done without cheating or ACE, but it's a kinda scary effect.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGZ3xTk4gQ[/youtube]

So… yea.

Date: 2015-10-27 05:53:45
That one's really cool as well.
Thanks for mentioning it~

Posted by: Edythator
Date: 2016-01-03 17:00:16
I know this a bit late but, i think the creepiest glitchmon is ?/ from Pokemon Yellow. What makes it so scary is it's cry. Please don't ever listen to it.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-01-03 21:09:25

I know this a bit late but, i think the creepiest glitchmon is ?/ from Pokemon Yellow. What makes it so scary is it's cry. Please don't ever listen to it.

This is cool. I listened to it from the summary and it muted the music/another time made the game do high pitched noises, made the player invisible. It also corrupted overworld sprites.

I tried to Fly away and the game froze with blue bars (00 39 corruption). I wondered if it's possible that the game executed arbitrary code, but when I tried to Fly away on BGB with breakpoints in writable memory to test if it can, it didn't and took me to the destination as usual and corrected the sprites and music.

I tried to Dig in Viridian Forest after the glitch and this happened, possibly infinitely.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/gZQ4j1b.gif[/img]

Posted by: Edythator
Date: 2016-01-04 04:34:33
Yeah, the effects are cool, but the cry please kill me. I first encountered ?/ during a livestream i did messing around with the ASM Debug menu that TheZZAZZGlitch made, i was having a great time entering random memory values into the "get pokemon" thingy when i entered the value of ?/ and got so scared i closed the stream. Luckliy one of my friends said that it was too loud and i need to turn down the volume, this was about 10 minutes before i encountered ?/. That friend made a video about ?/ after seeing him in my stream and the sounds were pretty nasty, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSBe1xCHlY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdTWvHpb_U . Otherwise ?/ is a pretty cool pokemon, just not the hi-pitched cry. Also who said gameboy's couldn't have hi-pitched sounds? That's what i was wondering the entire stream afterwards i encountered ?/, sure the gameboy would have a lower sound but still, who said it couldn't have hi-pitched sounds, that made me want to believe lavender town(i know it's fake) because it had a "hi-pitched" noise in it's beta music.

EDIT: Just noticed that my friend who made those videos are a big fan of yours!

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-01-05 00:02:34
Only Pokemon Yellow has those high-pitched sounds (probably Pikachu's cry?). Pokemon Red (at least the English version) doesn't have sounds THAT high-pitched.

Posted by: Statue Surfer
Date: 2016-01-05 01:20:08
I don't know if this counts, but, during certain crashes caused while on the GB Tower on Pokemon Stadium 1 (English version, if it matters), it says that my save file has been corrupted and cannot be continued, and that I'll have to start a new game… but I didn't have to, I just started from my previous save file after resetting the console. Still freaked me out the first time I saw it.  D:

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-01-09 10:03:19
/?'s actual cry is one channel of psychic. Another variant of it, p(hex F4) does the same thing, but it's cry is the melody channel of st anne ship.

Unfortunately I forgot to record F4, but EC's is here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIs78jUZ8EE[/youtube]

Gameshark codes used:

01DBC2D0
01DBC3D0
0101DBDB

These are just to set the sprite pointer, which is the reason it crashes. /? is a hybrid glitch, meaning it takes many qualities from another, regular Pokémon (in this case pidgey). including the sprite. However, sprites are stored in banks, and Pidgey is in a different bank than EC or F4. All glitches are stored in one bank, which goes from Bulbasaur's sprite to Q (FF)'s sprite. It tries to point to the data for Pidgey, but it isn't there. Instead there is a 00 byte. These bytes are evil, causing WAY more (over 65 thousand) bytes to be drawn, due to overflow. The sprite is drawn to addresses in the A000 area temporarily, but overflow writes to early C000 (C000-C200 at most) addresses, then loops back for some reason (explain?) C000-C100 is the sound, while somewhere in the C100-C200 range is some sprites (causing sprite adjustment and random sprites across the screen.

(sorry if any thing is incorrect)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-01-10 09:00:25

Yeah, the effects are cool, but the cry please kill me. I first encountered ?/ during a livestream i did messing around with the ASM Debug menu that TheZZAZZGlitch made, i was having a great time entering random memory values into the "get pokemon" thingy when i entered the value of ?/ and got so scared i closed the stream. Luckliy one of my friends said that it was too loud and i need to turn down the volume, this was about 10 minutes before i encountered ?/. That friend made a video about ?/ after seeing him in my stream and the sounds were pretty nasty, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSBe1xCHlY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CdTWvHpb_U . Otherwise ?/ is a pretty cool pokemon, just not the hi-pitched cry. Also who said gameboy's couldn't have hi-pitched sounds? That's what i was wondering the entire stream afterwards i encountered ?/, sure the gameboy would have a lower sound but still, who said it couldn't have hi-pitched sounds, that made me want to believe lavender town(i know it's fake) because it had a "hi-pitched" noise in it's beta music.

EDIT: Just noticed that my friend who made those videos are a big fan of yours!

Mm. I've personally got used to those kind of sounds but yes, they can sound nasty. :X Interesting.

Yes. I feel that some of the high-pitched tunes are reminiscent of that rumour. When you go out of bounds in Red/Green, you can hear similar high pitched/chaotic music too.

I may make my own video about EC and F4.

He is? That's sweet of them. Tell him/her I said thank you! ^w^

/?'s actual cry is one channel of psychic. Another variant of it, p(hex F4) does the same thing, but it's cry is the melody channel of st anne ship.

Unfortunately I forgot to record F4, but EC's is here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIs78jUZ8EE[/youtube]

Gameshark codes used:

01DBC2D0
01DBC3D0
0101DBDB

These are just to set the sprite pointer, which is the reason it crashes. /? is a hybrid glitch, meaning it takes many qualities from another, regular Pokémon (in this case pidgey). including the sprite. However, sprites are stored in banks, and Pidgey is in a different bank than EC or F4. All glitches are stored in one bank, which goes from Bulbasaur's sprite to Q (FF)'s sprite. It tries to point to the data for Pidgey, but it isn't there. Instead there is a 00 byte. These bytes are evil, causing WAY more (over 65 thousand) bytes to be drawn, due to overflow. The sprite is drawn to addresses in the A000 area temporarily, but overflow writes to early C000 (C000-C200 at most) addresses, then loops back for some reason (explain?) C000-C100 is the sound, while somewhere in the C100-C200 range is some sprites (causing sprite adjustment and random sprites across the screen.

(sorry if any thing is incorrect)

Thanks for this research Spoink, much appreciated :]

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-01-10 11:39:10
Do take into account that the Status page plays the Pokedex cry instead of battle cry. And ironically the Pokedex cry of a glitch Pokemon doesn't actually play in its respective Pokedex entry most of the time; the Rhydon cry usually plays instead.