Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Expanded Experience Underflow - Page 1

Expanded Experience Underflow

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-10-08 04:07:55
Hey there,

You probably know the Experience Underflow Glitch that allows Pokémon from the Medium-Slow Experience group to jump from Lvl 1 to Lvl 100 by gaining less than 54 xp.

I discovered this glitch may be used on any other Experience group - meaning any Pokémon. At first, I wanted to do that with the International DKD Glitch but it appeared to be a dead end. So instead, here's two methods that both work.

Super Glitch method:

1. Get a Medium-Slow Pokémon at level 1 (with either Ditto Trick, Cooltrainer/LOL, or any other method) and place it in 6th position of your team.

1. Get a Pokémon with 27 letters combined in the 3 first moves, and Super Glitch as 4th move. There are actual ways to get a normal Pokémon with a Super Glitch move. For example, trade a lvl48 Haunter to a G/S/C game (it will learn Destiny Bond) then send it back to get the hex:C2 Super Glitch move instead. You can also use a glitch Pokémon.

2. Go here:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc4.png[/img]

R/B - Open/close the Pokémon menu once then get into a fight and open/close the attack menu several times until the corruption appears. Something like that must happen:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc5.png[/img]
Leave the fight.

Yellow - Open the Pokémon menu then visualize the moves of your Pokémon with the Super Glitch move several times until the corruption appears:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc6.png[/img]

This is also what you get in R/B after the fight, because you now have 16 Pokémon.

3. Talk to a Pokémon Center nurse, but refuse to heal your Pokémon. This is to fix text boxes.

4. Switch Pokémon 6 (medium-slow) and 10. The HPs of Pokémon 1 become the decimal ID of your medium-slow Pokémon (e.g. 21 for Mew). Use healing items/HP Up/Whatever to change that number to the decimal ID of the Pokémon you would like to perform the Experience Underflow on. For example, I set the first Pokémon's HP to 131 to get Mewtwo.

5. Then switch back both Pokémon. Your lvl1 medium-slow Pokémon is now the wanted Pokémon at level 1. Gain less than 54 exp points and you will gain the levels. HOWEVER, using this method, because it only changes the memory address for the Pokémon's ID in the "list of Pokémon" section but doesn't change the address for the Pokémon's ID in the data of the given Pokémon (which contains the exp group) you won't reach level 100:

- Slow Group (ex: Mewtwo) => 105
- Medium-Slow Group (normal group for the glitch) => 100
- Medium-Fast Group (ex: Caterpie) => 98
- Fast Group (ex: Clefairy) => 91

If you want to reach lvl 100 precisely you must use the other method.

6. To fix the game, Store/Release every Pokémon beyond the 6th. To get rid of the corruption that affected some of your Pokémon, use the daycare. If your name is messed up by Super Glitch, you can reset it (although not in Yellow) by going there:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc8.png[/img]
And doing another corruption (open/close the Pokémon menu, Pokémon encounter, open/close the attack menu).

8F Method

Cleaner method, but of course, 8F allows you to change a Pokémon's level without this glitch. Put your Pokémon at first position, then use this code that changes both bytes to the value of the wanted Pokémon. Because of this, your new Pokémon will fit to its own experience group and you will reach level 100 by gaining less than 54 exp points.

Any Item
8F / ws*l||lm||
ThunderStone x100
TM09 x82
Lemonade x(dec ID of the wanted Pokémon)
Ether x119
X Accuracy x107
X Attack x119
TM01 x(any quantity)

Have fun!

Re: Expanded Experience Underflow

Date: 2015-10-08 04:55:34
I didn't mention it, as it was obvious, but if you are decided not to use Super Glitch, you can probably use an 8F code to change the hex ID of a Medium-Slow Pokémon to any other Pokémon, especially in Yellow where you read code from Stored Pokémon so you can have the Lvl 1 Pokémon in your Party.

If you have a Red/Blue setup in which you can use the Lvl 1 Medium-Slow Pokémon, you could do that in R/B too.

Date: 2015-11-16 11:20:11
This post is rather obsolete. Please read the first instead.

Hello,

I have worked more on this.

If you could use the Dokokashira Door Glitch to change the hex value of a Pokémon, here will be the result of the Expanded Experience Underflow :
- Slow Group (ex: Mewtwo) => 105
- Medium-Slow Group (normal group for the glitch) => 100
- Medium-Fast Group (ex: Caterpie) => 98
- Fast Group (ex: Clefairy) => 91

This is because the DKD changes the memory address for the Pokémon's ID in the "list of Pokémon" section but doesn't change the address for th Pokémon's ID in the data of the given Pokémon.

Using Arbitrary Code Execution, you could do both at the same time. Provided that you have your medium-slow Pokémon in first position, this would be a stupid code that would do it, but there's probably room for a better one:
Thunder Stone x100
TM09 x54
(item with the same hex ID than the wanted Pokémon) x33
(hex:6B item) x209
Rappel Max x(special stat for the wanted Pokémon)
CT01 x(any quantity)

With this, any Pokémon will jump to lvl 100 when earning less than 54 exp points :)

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-12-13 16:38:01
What about glitch EXP groups ? ;D

Date: 2015-12-20 10:43:13
So after the work Haxel has done on the International DKD, it went obvious that the DKD could not be used for a real application to this glitch.

Then it came to me that we actually don't need to go that far. Super Glitch already allows to change a Pokémon's ID and this is what you have to do. Here's both methods, and I will update the first post:

Super Glitch method:

1. Get a Medium-Slow Pokémon at level 1 (with either Ditto Trick, Cooltrainer/LOL, or any other method) and place it in 6th position of your team.

1. Get a Pokémon with 27 letters combined in the 3 first moves, and Super Glitch as 4th move. There are actual ways to get a normal Pokémon with a Super Glitch move. For example, trade a lvl48 Haunter to a G/S/C game (it will learn Destiny Bond) then send it back to get the hex:C2 Super Glitch move instead. You can also use a glitch Pokémon.

2. Go here:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc4.png[/img]

R/B - Open/close the Pokémon menu once then get into a fight and open/close the attack menu several times until the corruption appears. Something like that must happen:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc5.png[/img]
Leave the fight.

Yellow - Open the Pokémon menu then visualize the moves of your Pokémon with the Super Glitch move several times until the corruption appears:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc6.png[/img]

This is also what you get in R/B after the fight, because you now have 16 Pokémon.

3. Talk to a Pokémon Center nurse, but refuse to heal your Pokémon. This is to fix text boxes.

4. Switch Pokémon 6 (medium-slow) and 10. The HPs of Pokémon 1 become the decimal ID of your medium-slow Pokémon (e.g. 21 for Mew). Use healing items/HP Up/Whatever to change that number to the decimal ID of the Pokémon you would like to perform the Experience Underflow on. For example, I set the first Pokémon's HP to 131 to get Mewtwo.

5. Then switch back both Pokémon. Your lvl1 medium-slow Pokémon is now the wanted Pokémon at level 1. Gain less than 54 exp points and you will gain the levels.
Remember this won't be 100, but 105, 98 or 91 (see above). If you'd like to go to lvl 100 you will have to use the 8F method instead.

6. To fix the game, Store/Release every Pokémon beyond the 6th. To get rid of the corruption that affected some of your Pokémon, use the daycare. If your name is messed up by Super Glitch, you can reset it (although not in Yellow) by going there:
[img]http://www.prama-initiative.com/RBJ/fc8.png[/img]
And doing another corruption (open/close the Pokémon menu, Pokémon encounter, open/close the attack menu).

8F Method

Cleaner method, but of course, 8F allows you to change a Pokémon's level without this glitch. Put your Pokémon at first position, then use this code that changes both bytes to the value of the wanted Pokémon. Because of this, your new Pokémon will fit to its own experience group and you will reach level 100 by gaining less than 54 exp points.

Any Item
8F / ws*l||lm||
ThunderStone x100
TM09 x82
Lemonade x(dec ID of the wanted Pokémon)
Ether x119
X Accuracy x107
X Attack x119
TM01 x(any quantity)

What about glitch EXP groups ? ;D

What do you mean by glitch EXP groups?

Posted by: Sock
Date: 2017-03-28 12:12:30
Hello! New to Glitch City but have been playing Red and have my beautiful 8F and learning all of it's possibilites. I am interested in this expanded experience underflow execution but am a little confused and hoping to get some help. First, what bootstrap is proper for this? Right now I have access to the bootstrap with Kangaskhan as the last member of the party as well as the one with Arbok as the last member.

Any Item
8F / ws*l||lm||
ThunderStone x100
TM09 x82
Lemonade x(dec ID of the wanted Pokémon) <——— Does this have to be the corresponding dec ID of the Pokemon who is in the first slot? This is where I am mostly confused.
Ether x119
X Accuracy x107
X Attack x119
TM01 x(any quantity)

I am tired of using rare candies to level up and need a solid way to gain experience. I hope to hear from someone. This page ROCKS!

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-03-28 12:48:03
No, it's the ID of the Pokémon you want. The Pokémon you want to get.
As for both setups, they are equal under almost all aspects. COnsider them the same - save for the 6-Pokémon setup which allows you to freely choose the first Pokémon.

Date: 2017-03-29 04:01:55
Yes, as ISSO said. The idea of this method is to transform a medium-slow lvl 1 Pokémon into a wanted Pokémon, that will retain the medium-slow profile. So, you put your medium-slow Pokémon in the first slot and you use the code with the dec ID of the WANTED Pokémon : it will change your first Pokémon to that Pokémon and gaining the exp will trigger the glitch.

This was not however designed to trigger the glitch on a lvl 1 non-medium-slow Pokémon that you already have :)