Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Item underflow question - Page 1

Item underflow question

Posted by: Nikm
Date: 2015-10-09 16:11:44
Hello, I have been looking at gen 1 glitches for a really long time now. I was curious about my game of pokemon blue though. I am having a problem where whenever i try to do something in my item list after achieving an expanded inventory (via dry underflow), i have to press b a lot of times before i can press up/down/a … then i have to press b a lot more times. I have never seen this problem when viewing other people's tutorials and such. I can not figure out a way to make it so I don't have to press b so much. I am running pokemon blue on a retroarch emulator (iPhone).

Another question too… When I do the trainer fly glitch to encounter a level 1 pokemon, MOST of the pokemon i catch have 1 exp rather than -54 exp, and when i get them 7 exp from killing a magikarp, they level up. whats the deal with that? i thought all pokemon that come out should be primed for level 100. in my experience, however, only pokemon that can not get poisoned are able to achieve level 100, while every other pokemon has only 1 exp and can not get to level 100 instantly.

Thanks for the help… I am a bit new at doing this.

edit: on a side note, i love the fact that a community go together on a website based around pokemon glitches. Thanks for being here, everyone.

Re: Item underflow question

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-10-09 16:24:53
Hello, Nikm. Welcome to GCLF! :)

Another question too… When I do the trainer fly glitch to encounter a level 1 pokemon, MOST of the pokemon i catch have 1 exp rather than -54 exp, and when i get them 7 exp from killing a magikarp, they level up. whats the deal with that? i thought all pokemon that come out should be primed for level 100. in my experience, however, only pokemon that can not get poisoned are able to achieve level 100, while every other pokemon has only 1 exp and can not get to level 100 instantly.

Our wiki has an article on the experience underflow bug, which should be able to answer your question.

Date: 2015-10-09 16:44:57

Hello, Nikm. Welcome to GCLF! :)

Our wiki has an article on the experience underflow bug, which should be able to answer your question.

Oh thank you, i didn't realize that only 'medium-slow' pokemon can do it. In the tutorials i looked at, i dont recall seeing that before =p… thanks.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-10-09 16:46:15
Hello Nikm. It appears I can answer both your questions.

First, about the item underflow. Actually the problem you are encountering is quite common. I refer to it in a few videos like this one. Around 3 minutes in this video, I place myself in a specific spot and set the pointer to an item of the underflowed menu, then I quit the menu and go to the place I actually need to access this item. This is only to avoid this problem.

Indeed, in some places, glitch items that appears in the underflowed menu have a very long name, so you have to continously spam B and Down to get through them. This causes no trouble to whatever you want to do with the underflow but it is annoying. It is related to the place you are standing so to avoid this, all you have to do is stand somewhere else and try until you find a place in which you can open the menu and go up and down freely, just like I did in the video.

Now, about the Experience Underflow. You have to know that Pokémon are categorized in different Experience group: Pokémon from the same group get experience the same way, i.e. according to the same calculation formula.
The "standard" version of this glitch only works with Pokémon of the Medium-Slow Experience group, because it is the only group for which a lvl 1 Pokémon has a negative amount of xp. Pokémon of this group are the following ones:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_in_the_Medium_Slow_experience_group

However, I recently pointed out in this thread that you can actually do this glitch with ANY Pokémon, requiring a little trick. The idea is to get a Medium-Slow lvl 1 Pokémon, then change its hex value to the hex value of another Pokémon from any group. When the Pokémon changes, it keeps the -54 xp of the Medium-Slow Pokémon, so you will be able to underflow it.

To change a Pokémon hex value, you can use arbitrary code execution but another funny way is to use the International Dokokashira Door Glitch that allows you to decrease a Pokémon's identifier.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-10-09 16:49:54

Oh thank you, i didn't realize that only 'medium-slow' pokemon can do it. In the tutorials i looked at, i dont recall seeing that before =p… thanks.

You're welcome :)

And splendid research, Krys3000 ;)

Date: 2015-10-09 16:55:21

Hello Nikm. It appears I can answer both your questions.

First, about the item underflow. Actually the problem you are encountering is quite common. I refer to it in a few videos like this one. Around 3 minutes in this video, I place myself in a specific spot and set the pointer to an item of the underflowed menu, then I quit the menu and go to the place I actually need to access this item. This is only to avoid this problem.

Indeed, in some places, glitch items that appears in the underflowed menu have a very long name, so you have to continously spam B and Down to get through them. This causes no trouble to whatever you want to do with the underflow but it is annoying. It is related to the place you are standing so to avoid this, all you have to do is stand somewhere else and try until you find a place in which you can open the menu and go up and down freely, just like I did in the video.

Now, about the Experience Underflow. You have to know that Pokémon are categorized in different Experience group: Pokémon from the same group get experience the same way, i.e. according to the same calculation formula.
The "standard" version of this glitch only works with Pokémon of the Medium-Slow Experience group, because it is the only group for which a lvl 1 Pokémon has a negative amount of xp. Pokémon of this group are the following ones:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_in_the_Medium_Slow_experience_group

However, I recently pointed out in this thread that you can actually do this glitch with ANY Pokémon, requiring a little trick. The idea is to get a Medium-Slow lvl 1 Pokémon, then change its hex value to the hex value of another Pokémon from any group. When the Pokémon changes, it keeps the -54 xp of the Medium-Slow Pokémon, so you will be able to underflow it.

To change a Pokémon hex value, you can use arbitrary code execution but another funny way is to use the International Dokokashira Door Glitch that allows you to decrease a Pokémon's identifier.

Hope this helps!

Aw, yes, it helps a lot. thanks very much. i did notice that when i was in the overworld, i had to press b about 17 times, but when inside a pokemon center, i only had to press it around 2 or 3 times. I did not realize some places would let you use it freely. i just assumed that iwas stuck everywhere i went.

As of now, im a bit afraid to do the dokoashira door glitch. while i was reading it, it seemed like there were many negative side effects to the point where it wasnt useful. maybe i should reread the article though.

Thanks for your help, guys!

edit: yes, some places do let me move freely, however, some items still cause me to have to press b, like 8glitchblockglitchblock (i have no idea what this one is). I guess the rest of the name is invisible but its really long or something. maybe its just glitchy like that =p

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-10-09 17:11:22
You're welcome! And thanks Sato ;)

I am not a big fan of using Super Glitch to do anything, but of course the DKD can be done using 8F. All you have to do is to 'simulate' gameshark code 010763D1 to get access to the 7th Pokémon, then switch Pokémon 1 and 7. It's a clean way to trigger it.

But yes, ultimately, DKD has many effects you have to deal with. It affects your items, it affects your team, it might affects your stored Pokémon depending the version you play, and you can really mess up your game if you're not careful. But once you know how to prevent bad things to happen, you can have fun with it. I believe the fact that we now know you can use it to expand the experience underflow to any Pokémon gives interest to it.

But of course, if you use ACE to trigger it, you could also use ACE to do anything you would want to do with it, included this expanded experience underflow.

So yes, it can ultimately be considered as a 'distraction for bored glitchologist'  ;D