Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

0 Error fun - Page 1

0 Error fun

Posted by: shkk
Date: 2015-10-12 18:26:56
Hey to everybody, I'm a big fan of your website and i have been lurking it from 2years. Yesterday i was chilling out with some "0 Error Glitch" in Pokémon Red, when i found you can get many other " X Errors" with the same glitch. I made a video about it, I hope all these are not already known / old and I hope i added something aswell in this glitch collection!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i8eYhf4jZA

> 1st part is a normal 0 error, when you find a wild pokemon you can generate a "7 Error" loop by using 9F
> 2nd part is a trainer battle loop untill "unknown op code" strikes you (it's very random make the A button work)
> 3rd part is a "1 error" when blackout from the "loop trainer" caused by 0error
> 4th part is a "8 Error"
> 5th part is  "random glitch text 10min sound loop then unknown opcode crash" .

No gameshark codes were used, the 0 Error is made by the standard Escape trainer Glitch.

Re: 0 Error fun

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-10-13 06:28:36
Hello shkk and welcome to GCLF. Glad you finally crossed the line and registered to talk, with us, about Pokémon glitches! Nice and interesting job about X errors, it is not something on which I have worked often, and I'm not sure anybody did. I can tell you a few things about this, though  ;)

The glitch that is commonly called 0 Error is, in fact, an error code. To understand how it works, you must know that for any given place, you have a certain amount of text boxes, each having an ID number. Those boxes are, for example, dialogs, sign indications, etc. So that, if you take two distant places, they both have a text box with an ID of 1.

When you perform the Trainer-Fly glitch and return to the escaped route, the text box that displays matches the ID of the last text box seen, for this route. This ID is stored in memory address $CF13. This means if you have seen text box 2 of some place before getting back to the escaped route, it will be the text box matching the ID of 2 in the escaped route that will be displayed.

But obviously, there might not be the same amount of text boxes in both places. If you attempt to display the text box with an ID of 8 in a route which doesn't have such a text box, the game will instead display "8 ERROR". Moreover, if you display the dialog of a trainer you haven't defeated yet, you will likely trigger the walking lag glitch.

If you want to know more about this you can read the wiki page about error codes!

Have fun on this board and in your future researches!  :D