Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitch Hell in non-Japanese versions - Page 1

Glitch Hell in non-Japanese versions

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2015-12-22 05:28:26
Hello everyone,
I was playing around with my newly acquired GBA SP, and decided to experience Pokémon Rouge (French Red) with it.
Fiddling with NoClipping got me out of bounds south of Celadon City.

But, I got not the usual crash that results in a blank screen, but instead a Glitch Hell : http://puu.sh/m4BKb/39dba36e63.jpg
Here is a video of the glitch in action ; I wasn't in ideal recording conditions, so the sound cannot be heard very well.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/xgP9_h6pGtg[/youtube]
(The beep is the train I was in closing its doors)

This means this glitch is :
- possible on actual cartridges
- possible on non-Japanese versions
It isn't very useful for now, though.

I will soon record me doing the glitch, also in better filming conditions.

Last note : it isn't consistent, as sometimes I just get the usual blank screen, and it does NOT work on my GBC.
Also, I cannot test on a DMG, as I have none :D

Re: Glitch Hell in non-Japanese versions

Posted by: kaikun97
Date: 2015-12-23 10:37:39
Does going east or west into the grass in pallet town cause the same effects like in my video?

https://youtu.be/YD2GKSz9AD4

Date: 2015-12-23 16:25:55
I did not try, but will probably tonight.

Although it may not happen, as this isn't a Japanese version, and the effects are not consistent.

Processing…

[EDIT]
Could only do it today ; but anyways, here it is :)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/pTcurEV_iM8[/youtube]

Also, a lil' bonus :
[youtube]https://youtu.be/G02I0qwrupU[/youtube]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-12-24 10:43:42
Very interesting. I wonder why the effects differed. Curious that it does not work on Game Boy Color; makes me wonder if any hardware registers are involved, but it's a stab in the dark. These glitches are among the most mysterious in my opinion.

Date: 2015-12-24 11:04:10
To me, this points out that GBC emulation by GBAs isn't 100% accurate. This isn't really a proof, but as soon as I'll get my Everdrive GB, I'll run the test ROMs on it.
Also, tests should be conducted using regular GBAs instead of my SP, to determine if the problem is specific to them.
I cannot test on my GBC right now, as I have no batteries that fit in and no adapter :XD:

Also, my bad, I swapped the videos : the one currently uploaded is the lil' bonus, and I'm retrieving the main file from my phone right now.
This should be corrected in a few hours (dunno why, but the transfer is sooo slow)

[EDIT] Both videos are finally on Youtube ! Also, when I listened to myself I coudn't understand a single word, so I subtitled one of them. I'll do the same with the other soon.

Posted by: kaikun97
Date: 2015-12-27 06:33:48
I was certain that GBC catridges were not emulated and instead just run in compatability mode, like how the Nintendo 3DS has a special DS mode for playing original DS games. This is certainly interesting. Does this do the same on an emulator? If so I may have a look myself

Date: 2016-01-17 03:35:22
Okay, I've finally gotten my Everdrive GB (it's a GB flash card) and conducted a few tests :

Fist of all, I ran blargg's test ROMs and, to my surprise, the GBC itself (along with the GBA) failed some of these tests ! There is no test for Echo RAM though, I'll probably be doing one myself.
See the results here (look below for comparisons with emulators)

Then I went out of bounds in Pallet Town on my GBC, and after a number of tries, I still got no Glitch Hell.
However, I accidentally got out of bounds and got no glitched graphics. I did like so :

You should have stepped out of bounds while the music was fading, and if yes, you should have crashed but the screen remained intact. I think that is linked to bank swapping, although I'm not sure.

I then tried the Dokokashira Door Glitch (on Pokémon Green) on my GBC and GBA, and again I was surprised :
On the GBC, no "door swapping" effect occured, even though I saw Prof Oak popping out of nowhere.
On the GBA, I was successfully warped to the Cycling Road after 46 steps and entering Blue's house, but not at the expected coordinates.
Because I have no DMG / SGB (and no SNES :P), I cannot conduct tests on these.
I'll probably buy a DMG at retail soon, but I might need a while to find one.

I was certain that GBC catridges were not emulated and instead just run in compatability mode, like how the Nintendo 3DS has a special DS mode for playing original DS games. This is certainly interesting. Does this do the same on an emulator? If so I may have a look myself

Possibly, but anyways this compatibility mode isn't 100% accurate. I think you're right instead of me, as I think remembering the GBA's processor has a 16-bit and a 8-bit mode, and stuff like that. I don't know how this compatibility mode works (on a technical level), so I cannot tell you much about it :P
I only tried Glitch Hell on VBA, but not the Dokokashira on any emulator.

Date: 2016-02-12 10:20:47
Quick update, as I've been playing some Zelda games and working much lately, about this glitch.

I tried to walk out of bounds as the music was fading (the same way it is shown on the second video) on my GBC.
Surprisingly, no corruption happened either !

I'll still need to buy a DMG to compare, though…