Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

any ways to manipulate exp without battles? - Page 1

any ways to manipulate exp without battles?

Posted by: deante0
Date: 2016-01-10 23:17:00
So this is a strange question and i believe the solution would lie in a code using 8F or a direct hack, but is there any known way to manipulate the exp of a pokemon without using a Q glitch or rare candy. My thoughts were to either use a kind of glitch that would add the value of the tile to the exp or add X per step to the exp. If you're wondering why, i'd like to test evolution without an evolutionary stone (RB) but using various items. More or less because i'm bored, but would rather avoid conducting millions of fights to get to the necessary exp value. The hex for the 1st pokemon's exp is D179-D17B. Sorry this question is so open ended, i have no or little experience with 8F, your forum, and glitching in general.

As a useless miscellaneous glitch if you ride a bike while entering a long range trainer's sight you can quickly turn left or right to leave his sight line without activating a fight.

Re: any ways to manipulate exp without battles?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-01-11 04:37:18
Hello (welcome?),

To manipulate exp, you could still use Glitch City RAM Manipulation. This is rather limited though, but I can't see of a more powerful solution aside from 8F codes (you would then need to use the generic "one-address value change" code with the wanted value, D1 and 79/7A/7B, which is not hard to do)

Don't hesitate to ask if you'd like an elaborated explanation of the 8F code  ;)

Date: 2016-01-12 15:26:41
I would like a explanation eventually, though for now i could use some help obtain 8F, I ran into a rather strange problem. While attempting an item underflow (not sure if that is what is actually occurring.) anyways here is the link to the video. Hope someone can figure out whats up, in the mean time i'm going to hunt down some of the gym leaders perhaps they have something to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZV-6oj44qs

Oh and no, not quite welcome, though thank you, I made my profile like 6 months back and some things happened. I'm back for now.

Date: 2016-01-12 16:19:01
Alright, you need to stop using that old underflow method. Use the dry underflow:

2 items, a x255 item (works with every item, but of course X Special is the most documented way to get 8F), 2 items.

Toss the first two to get three x255. Toss x255 of the first item until you can only select this item or the second one (which is, in fact, a RETURN button ; should take two tossing if you had 5 items).

Then toss x253 of the first item. Switch item 1 and 2 twice. You now have the first item x0 with the underflow active.

Nevertheless, the old method should work too, are you sure you have switched the good items? I could'nt count well in the video.

EDIT: I'll write something about 8F tomorrow

Date: 2016-01-13 09:29:51
Let's start with basically all the ways I know to get the 8F item:
- Super Glitch-triggered overflow of the item pack combined with the Celadon loop method (basically horrible)
- 94's Old Rod in 4th slot transmutation using an encounter glitch (e.g. Cooltrainer Trick)
- Glitch World RAM Manipulation-triggered overflow combined with the Missable Object Flags method (probably unusable in most games)
- Item Underflow/Dry Item Underflow combined with the Celadon loop method (most used way)
- Item Underflow/Dry Item Underflow while having precisely badges 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 and not any other badges (the 8F item will be in 29th position, but after switching with another item, it will corrupt the badges)

There are probably other IUG-based methods…

When you have the 8F item, you can use a 8F code to change the value of a RAM address. This is a post where I explain the procedure to translate a RAM address into a gameshark code or a 8F code

In your case you would use that with D179, D17A and D17B, using hexadecimal translation of the value you want to assign to those addresses. For example, setting FF (dec:255) as value of all three addresses will allow you to have 16777215 as exp. It is however relatively pointless, as explained by Crystal_ so you'd better stick to more reasonable values.

Note that instead of using three different 8F code for each byte, you could probably create one that does all at once.

Date: 2016-01-14 06:43:55
Yes its the 35th item, i've noticed its a nugget regardless, something to do with the glitch mechanics, that spot will always have a nugget in the 35th slot. Anyways, regardless if i use the old method or the dry underflow method, the underflow functions but celadon city wont loop. Since celadon doesn't loop the count for my steps is reset whenever i enter a new zone resetting the item in that slot to hex 1 a masterball or if i entered a new zone from the left whatever number of steps right of the first tile it is. I have a boulderbadge, so it would appear the only remaining method is a cooltrainer trick….or perhaps a hard reset. I've tried manipulating my boxes, the items in my box, my pokemon loadout, no changes, if you have a thought let me know. Thanks for the current help.

Date: 2016-01-14 07:56:56
Wait, I just noticed you were doing the trick with a X Accuracy instead of X Special. It's not that the item itself is that important, but it requires adaptation if you change it, because item 35 deals with Player's X position in the current map, which is the base of the loop trick. X Accuracy is hex 2E instead of 44, while the original X position for this spot is hex 31 (nugget). I'm guessing you're basically going the wrong way here. Try with a X Special, as I believe anyway that adapting the loop trick with a hex value that low would make the game freeze if you try to do it in one shot.

Date: 2016-01-14 22:31:22
and that was the solution, sorry to take up so much time for nothing.

Date: 2016-01-15 02:28:15
Don't worry, that's what this place is about  ;)