Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow - Missing Helix Fossil Glitch!? - Page 1

Pokemon Yellow - Missing Helix Fossil Glitch!?

Posted by: Pokemario6456
Date: 2016-02-27 19:40:44
I bought the 3DS Virtual Console version of Pokemon Yellow today, but when I went through Mt. Moon and got to the part with the fossils, however, there was only one fossil visible! I repeatedly tried to press A where the Helix Fossil was supposed to be, and nothing happened. I even walked through the space and fought Jesse and James without picking up the Dome Fossil. I then left Mt. Moon and came back, and still no Helix Fossil. If I do pick up the Dome Fossil, the other trainer (I think he's a Super Nerd?) goes over to where the Helix Fossil ought to be and supposedly picks it up. Stupidly enough, I saved after the Team Rocket battle, so while I did record it, I didn't get to show off being able to fight Team Rocket without picking up a fossil. Is this some sort of rare bug where the Helix Fossil just flat-out failed to load?
[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3Mpp7sNU8[/youtube]

Re: Pokemon Yellow - Missing Helix Fossil Glitch!?

Posted by: SunbroTmac
Date: 2016-02-28 13:06:10
Did you do the long-range trainer glitch in Mt. Moon earlier in your run? I'm fairly certain encountering a certain Pokemon would change the flag for the Helix Fossil so the game thinks it has already been picked up, causing it to vanish through the same vein as causing a Snorlax to vanish - http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Remove_Snorlax_glitch

Posted by: Pokemario6456
Date: 2016-02-29 17:28:46
Yep. I fought a bug catcher in Mt. Moon, but I also ran into a couple other Pokemon looking for a Lv. 13 Paras so I could generate a Mew. I also ended up going back to Pewter City to get an escape rope once I beat the trainer in Mt. Moon, so that might've done something, too. Never knew you could make Snorlax disappear, or that there could be side effects at all, though.

Posted by: Power_Noob
Date: 2016-06-13 12:42:52
I'm playing yellow on the gbasp and this same thing happened to me. I'd transferred an Abra I caught from gold so I could use teleport as early as possible in yellow and start working trainers to see wut cool glitchmon I could generate. Got some cool ones in the process and thought that I could do it with the supernerd and team rocket but it would not allow me to. In any case, it appears that if u use that glitch in Mt.moon the helix fossil will not be available for u to pick up, yet when u beat the supernerd, he still gives u the choice to grab it as if it is still there…I mean, for HIM it's there because once u grab the dome fossil he walks to the space right before where the helix should be and claims his invisible fossil. ::shrug:: #kabutoiscooleranyway but it's still a weird thing for the game to do, totally threw me off.

I never knew u could make (a) snorlax disappear either… that'll make things interesting…

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-13 14:47:56
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,7490.0.html
This is what happened. Your "illegitimate" encounter confused the game into removing the Helix Fossil.
It didn't fail to load, you tricked the game into despawning it.