Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

How to get the number of party Pokemon back to 6? - Page 1

How to get the number of party Pokemon back to 6?

Posted by: darksarcasm
Date: 2016-03-07 19:06:38
Hello everyone,

Is there a way, after the save corruption glitch, to get your party back to a normal level? I tried using Krys3000's guide for how to get Mew before your starter, but it just doesn't seem to work for me (I tried about ten times now, with some of my own variations too, but usually get stuck in the Safari Zone where every time I use a Safari Ball it says I missed the Pokemon).

My ultimate goal is to get to a point far in the game where I have Surf and Fly and access to most of the areas (so I can mess around with 8F), so I thought the easiest way to do that is to use the expanded item bag to give myself a bicycle and tons of Max Repels, and use the Level 100 Nidoking glitch for the battles I need to fight.

Also, a side note, I spent about 4 hours getting everything set up by actually playing the game through til I could get to Cinnabar and start using the "dry" item underflow glitch, and I "used" the 5F item, which glitched the screen up and froze the game. When I reloaded, my save data was deleted (or corrupted or at a wrong memory location or whatever). Hence, my quest for a quick start. Are there any of these glitch items or situations I should be careful around besides using 5F when attempting this again? I'm assuming I shouldn't ever "use" any of these glitch items again, but my curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to try programming that Pong game ZZAZZ made, but I don't want to go through all the trouble of all these steps to find that my save file gets deleted after doing it (I'm doing this on the 3DS VC)

Another question - do these RAM changes "stick" after resetting? Say I "program" Pong like ZZAZZ does in his video, then save. When I use 8F, I'm redirected to the Pong game, which presumably you get out of by resetting your game. If, upon reloading the save game, I use 8F again, will I be put back in the Pong game? Where exactly is the code "saved" to in the RAM - is it saved somewhere that could be easily overwritten (like your Pokemon data in your Boxes) or somewhere that the game doesn't touch?

Still learning a lot about this - it's all so fascinating! Thank you for all this work you've guys documented, I've been geeking out about this for the past week ever since I picked up the games up again since they've been released on the 3DS.

Re: How to get the number of party Pokemon back to 6?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-08 01:43:06
There's some complexity with the Safari Zone part because I experienced a lot of troubles due to stupid things you have to be careful about when I made the video, and I'm not sure that's very clear in it, but I wanted to release it asap although at the time it probably needed some more research. As soon as I get the time we could try to figure out what your problem is.

Anyway, the Safari Zone part is more an unnecessary shortcut that I developed to fix some freezing issues, especially in Yellow if I remember well, and I didn't even was an issue in the english version of the game I thing. If it works for you, you might as well catch any Pokémon in any place because the goal of this is only to reduce the number of Pokémon you have currently to 51. You can also don't do it at all and just store/release the 255 glitch Pokémon you have but of course, it's longer  :P

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-03-08 03:41:06
Since you mentioned 8F, you're probably playing Red/Blue. You can reach Saffron City and underflow your item pack easily within 20 minutes with a couple of tricks, and with the expanded item pack, you won't ever need Fly (modify the 36th item's quantity instead) and Surf (get the ????? (07) item instead). This is also safer than corrupting your save.

Date: 2016-03-08 05:37:11
I am indeed playing Blue on the 3DS VC (Blue is my "glitch" version and Red is my "real" version haha)

What tricks are you talking about exactly? I figured the earliest you could get to Saffron was when you were able to get to Celadon, which by that point means you could also go ahead and get Fly by using the Poke Doll trick on the Ghost Marowak at the Pokemon Tower to get the Pokeflute.

Krys, does the Pokemon you catch have to go to your party? I tried just picking up the Eevee in Celadon instead, which transported to my PC, and it didn't seem to put my party back to 51. I actually spent time just depositing all 254 Pokemon, but then realized that I had deactivated the expanded item pack glitch so I kind of screwed myself haha

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-03-08 06:08:43
No, and that's the point of this glitch. When you receive a Pokémon, it goes to the PC even if your party is glitched up, unlike when you catch one. This makes your Mew (or whatever Pokémon you get using the fossil conversion) go to the PC so you can retrieve it after fixing the game. The glitch would be totally useless otherwise.

A proper way to do it without the Safari Zone warp would be:
- Switch 1-10
- Go to Cinnabar using item 36 and follow the instructions to get Fossils. Store one.
- Transform the Fossils to Rare Candies (and Proteins) by moving them to item 36 and going left like I show in the video
- Use those items to make your first Pokémon have the proper ATK stat (21 in the case of mew)
- Switch back the items then leave/enter the Pokémon center and withdraw first the Potion, then the Fossil (underflow fixed).
- Give the fossil to the scientist then switch Pokémon 1 and 33. Exit the lab and go back inside to get your Pokémon.
- Go catch any Pokémon in the wild. This reduces the party to 51 Pokémon.
- Switch Pokémon 3 and 10 (then 10 and 11 if you wish to bring the Pokédex back to 0). The underflow is now active again.
- Go to Viridian using item 36. Change the active box (!) and store 50 Pokémon then go back to the original box, withdraw Mew and store the last glitch Pokémon.
- Go to Route 1 and take the Potion from the NPC to fix the underflow; continue the game by going back to Pallet Town.

I'm quite sure the freezing during the catch that made me come up with the Safari solution doesn't exist in english games, but in case it is, alternatively you can get your Pokémon in the lab, then do the 3>10 switch, then store 254 Pokémon, withdraw the Pokémon, store the last one, and use item 36 to go to Viridian. Otherwise I'll try to redefine the Safari steps asap :)

Date: 2016-03-08 16:37:22
I wasn't able to get it to work quite properly, either something would cause the game to freeze in the middle or my party would remain at 255 even after I caught something. I probably did something wrong, maybe I messed some RAM address up from before I saved and started this process. In any case, I ended up just depositing the 255 Pokemon separately, because I found that if I made the text speed go at the fastest setting by switching around items (so that text appears immediately) it was pretty quick to just deposit and release everything. I ended up taking out HM03 and 99 Master Balls, and giving myself all the badges so that when the game started I could surf down to Cinnabar and buy 99 Max Repels. I wasn't able to give myself a Bike to make the beginning go faster, but it's not a huge deal.

Thanks for all your help! I at least used most of your tutorial :P