Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

MissingNo's sprite in Red and Green on Bulbapedia - Page 1

MissingNo's sprite in Red and Green on Bulbapedia

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2016-04-02 21:21:31
As some of you may know, Bulbapedia in its MissingNo article has in the trivia section a sprite of MissingNo in Red and Green, but as far as I'm concerned MissingNo always opcodes every time its encountered or sent out. If this sprite is to be believed, how was it obtained? Via a debugger on an opcode crash? I am legitimately confused here.

Re: MissingNo's sprite in Red and Green on Bulbapedia

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-04-03 10:51:08
Glitch Pokémon that crash sometimes work in no-color mode for some reason, like the #205s
Either that or it's the ECHO ram.

Date: 2016-04-04 02:41:12

Glitch Pokémon that crash sometimes work in no-color mode for some reason, like the #205s
Either that or it's the ECHO ram.
Non-SGB didn't do anything unfortunately, and I'm not sure what the pointer fix code would be in those (0155C2D0 in normal Red and Blue)

As for ECHO ram, I need to look into that. I haven't gone this deep since 2006.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-04-05 11:32:02
Crashes are sometimes caused by sound bank corruption, this by forcing addresses C0EF and C0F0 (if i'm correct) to a valid value using gameshark, crashes can be avoided.

Date: 2016-04-06 02:10:33

Crashes are sometimes caused by sound bank corruption, this by forcing addresses C0EF and C0F0 (if i'm correct) to a valid value using gameshark, crashes can be avoided.
I did this as per your suggestion and ended up with something pretty strange, gonna post a vid of it soon.

Since recording is not working I can provide screenshots. Basically the sound bank IDs being forced to stay via Gameshark does indeed avoid a crash, but it begins to corrupt RAM at a rapid pace and produces a glitch trainer similar to Jacred, the game doesn't really crash but runs at a very slow pace (the pace is insufferable). Dunno if I did something wrong, but those RAM addresses you gave me are probably correct.

Here's the screens, hopefully I did it right:

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73775541/bgb00005.bmp[/img]

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73775541/bgb00006.bmp[/img]

Date: 2016-04-07 01:33:28
The addresses I gave you may not be correct in Japanese versions (although if you avoided crashing, they were probably correct).
The behavior you got is quite unexpected ; which emulator are you using ?
See here to check which emulators are the most accurate (it seems that these are BGB and Gambatte (included in BizHawk)), as VBA is actually quite clumsy, more than GBAs.

Date: 2016-04-07 20:36:09

The addresses I gave you may not be correct in Japanese versions (although if you avoided crashing, they were probably correct).
The behavior you got is quite unexpected ; which emulator are you using ?
See here to check which emulators are the most accurate (it seems that these are BGB and Gambatte (included in BizHawk)), as VBA is actually quite clumsy, more than GBAs.
I was using BGB, and I double-checked the addresses. They were the same in Red/Blue and Red/Green, strangely enough.

Date: 2016-04-08 03:12:48
Well, no idea why this happens. Maybe the reason's the same as Yellow's regular Missingno ?

Date: 2016-04-08 03:42:56

Well, no idea why this happens. Maybe the reason's the same as Yellow's regular Missingno ?
I'm thinking the same thing.