Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

MissigNo in EU version - Page 1

MissigNo in EU version

Posted by: Dante
Date: 2016-05-12 16:48:28
Hello everybody.
A moment ago I was recording my glitched adventure in Pokémon Red.
I decided to remove the Snorlax while getting 128 X Special by doing the "Mew Glitch" after beating the fisher with the tentacool and goldeen, in order to encounter MissingNo, but the game crashed when the battle started. I used the gambler in Route 8 to trigger the glitch. After that I just thought it was because that missingno was just the kind that crashes the game, so I tried to exchange Nidoran(M) with Nidoran(F) in the tunnel entrance at Cerulean City, but that gave me the same result.

Can anyone point me a MissingNo that doesn't crash the game?

Re: MissigNo in EU version

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-05-12 17:24:40
Hexes B5, B6, and B7 don't crash the games. These correspond to 181, 182, and 183

Date: 2016-05-12 17:55:23
Thank you ^_^

Posted by: Ephraim225
Date: 2016-05-12 18:21:15

Hexes B5, B6, and B7 don't crash the games. These correspond to 181, 182, and 183

If you're talking about the Ghost/Skeleton forms that's actually hexes B6, B7, and B8 (182~184) unless B5 also does not crash which in theory it should.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-05-13 03:30:46
Every MissingNo. outside ghost/skeleton MissingNo. (so yes it's B6 to B8) crashes the game in European R/B, but not in Yellow, if they are encountered using Ditto Trick or Old Man Trick.

This means you can get any MissingNo., including pixel forms, using some of the many other Pokémon-getting glitches, the easier solution being the Cooltrainer Trick (that doesn't crash the game because you change the Pokémon you encounter for a MissingNo., but that doesn't load its sprite which causes the crash) and more tricky solutions are Fossil Conversion Glitch and Doko-Kashira Door Glitch (because you never encounter the Pokémon), LOL Glitch (for the same reasons as the cooltrainer), and of course arbitrary code execution (either using 8F or POS).

Note three things:
- There is an actual way to fix the sound bank issue causing the crash. Torchickens worked on it, but I can't find back the picture he made about this.
- If you want a MissingNo. to perform code execution, you actually don't need it. There is another way to get a x255 item involving GC-RAM Manipulation which is described here and doesn't require anything special.
- TheZZAZZGlitch developed a procedure, using the aforementioned GC-RAM thing, to stabilize English yellow's MissingNo. There is certainly a way to do the same for european R/B, and PRAMA's team planned to work on it on French games. Any result would work on Italian games too.

Date: 2016-05-13 04:39:40

Every MissingNo. outside ghost/skeleton MissingNo. (so yes it's B6 to B8) crashes the game in European R/B, but not in Yellow, if they are encountered using Ditto Trick or Old Man Trick.

This means you can get any MissingNo., including pixel forms, using some of the many other Pokémon-getting glitches, the easier solution being the Cooltrainer Trick (that doesn't crash the game because you change the Pokémon you encounter for a MissingNo., but that doesn't load its sprite which causes the crash) and more tricky solutions are Fossil Conversion Glitch and Doko-Kashira Door Glitch (because you never encounter the Pokémon), LOL Glitch (for the same reasons as the cooltrainer), and of course arbitrary code execution (either using 8F or POS).

Note three things:
- There is an actual way to fix the sound bank issue causing the crash. Torchickens worked on it, but I can't find back the picture he made about this.
- If you want a MissingNo. to perform code execution, you actually don't need it. There is another way to get a x255 item involving GC-RAM Manipulation which is described here and doesn't require anything special.
- TheZZAZZGlitch developed a procedure, using the aforementioned GC-RAM thing, to stabilize English yellow's MissingNo. There is certainly a way to do the same for european R/B, and PRAMA's team planned to work on it on French games. Any result would work on Italian games too.

Thank you very much for the information. I will look into PARMA team's work :3
I saw ZAAZZGlitch's video about stabilized MissingNo, and he said that after some tries I can get it anyway, is that the case also for European R/B?

Date: 2016-05-13 05:44:26
Not that I know. MissingNo. seems to always crash in these games.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-05-13 11:51:52

Yes! I think that these may have been the 'sound bank fix' GameShark codes, 01xxEFC0, 01xxF0C0.

If you modify the values to 08, you ensure that the game is always on the battle sound bank. Invalid sound banks can freeze the game.

However, in French Red, Italian Red, these codes don't always work and you may be still unable to progress even if the battle loads/Missingno. is sent out.

I'm wondering if that picture is the one that showed what Missingno. appears like in different languages of Red/Yellow. I uploaded it on to Minus image hosting, and on Twitter. I don't have the big version of it locally anymore sadly, and the Minus link (with many other links) unfortunately broke.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tQ7pNNV.png?1[/img]

The following Missingno. (other than B6 (182), B7 (183), B8 (184)) may be problematic:

Red/Green JP
Yellow JP
Yellow EN
Red FR
Red IT
Yellow ES

Date: 2016-05-13 14:34:33
Yes, that's the image I was thinking of. I remember it because you mentioned our Twitter account  ;D
Thanks!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-05-13 14:38:29
You're welcome!