Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Walk trough wall (ledge method) - Page 1

Walk trough wall (ledge method)

Posted by: Dante
Date: 2016-05-30 11:35:06
So I was wondering about why this glitch happens and in general how the safari zone glitch act.
Why I can't just fade out by poisoned pokemon while jumping of a ledge?
Does somebody knows?  8)

Re: Walk trough wall (ledge method)

Posted by: Ephraim225
Date: 2016-05-30 22:08:34
I haven't tested it but I believe the game waits until you're off the ledge before doing a poison check.

The timing for that would be hell to pull off anyhow, so I recommend doing it the Museum Guy way if that's possible. You only have to really set that up one time, then you can use it again and again.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-01 15:22:37
Yep, it is actually quite easy to understand. But there are two types of WTW :
1. Ledge method, murseum guy method
2. Brock Through Walls

The first one is quite simple : the game has a guiding system, used notably in Pewter City. It works by, instead of reading the memory address corresponding to joypad input, reading predetermined values. The game has two things for that :
1. CD38, which is an index the game uses to read the predefined inputs. If it is nonzero, the game skips collision checks.
2. D730 bit 7, which when on, activates the guiding mechanism.
Note that when you jump off a ledge, the game actually uses the guiding mechanism to simulate two Down presses.

So the glitch is essentially resetting D730 bit 7 while having a non-zero CD38 for the ledge method.
The Museum Guy and Brock Through Walls methods are a big mess, and far more complicated (internally) than the ledge method.
However, it seems that the developers took poisoning into account, and thus the glitch cannot be done simply with a poisoned Pokémon, because poison isn't applied at all while being guided.

For more detailed (and less clear, meh) explanations on the mechanics of the WTW glitch, see this post of mine and this other one.

I haven't tested it but I believe the game waits until you're off the ledge before doing a poison check.

The timing for that would be hell to pull off anyhow, so I recommend doing it the Museum Guy way if that's possible. You only have to really set that up one time, then you can use it again and again.

The timing is nothing in Red/Blue, because you can do another simpler method involving KO Pokémon and 5~6 save/resets. I posted the method some time ago on the wiki page, but the modification has to be approved by an admin for everyone to be able to view it.
And even in Yellow, you can count around 10 steps then Fly to Viridian City, as there is a ledge right in front of the Pokémon Center. Then do a few save/reset trials and errors, and you're good to go !

So I was wondering about why this glitch happens and in general how the safari zone glitch act.
Why I can't just fade out by poisoned pokemon while jumping of a ledge?
Does somebody knows?  8)

The WTW glitch and Safari Zone Glitch are completely different things. If you also want explanations on the Safari Zone Glitch, I can give you some. But right now I'm too lazy to do that.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-06-01 15:34:06
The jumping step is not taken into consideration by the poison counter. You would need to do an extra step, that's why you can't do that.

But think about it: what would we want to do this? If you blackout, you appear in a Pokémon Center from which you couldn't get out without using the door… which would remove the walk through walls effect. That's why we use the poison in the first place, to exit the Safari Hall without using the exit :)

Ephraim225: for the record, the Museum Guy glitch doesn't work in European games (Dante plays in italian!)

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-01 15:37:37
In Gen I, blacking out puts you right in front of the Pokémon Center's door, not inside.

Ephraim225: for the record, the Museum Guy glitch doesn't work in European games (Dante plays in italian!)

The Museum Guy and Youngster methods only work on versions prior (and including) US R/B.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-06-01 15:47:24
Ah, that's right. I forgot about this  ;D

Posted by: Dante
Date: 2016-06-10 12:00:51
Thank you very much, you told me exactly what I needed to know.  ;D