Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Item duplication in EU Pokemon RED - Page 1

Item duplication in EU Pokemon RED

Posted by: Dante
Date: 2016-06-12 06:39:26
I've tried to find a way to duplicate my items but I couldn't so here we are again.
The most common way to duplicate items is with missigno, but in the eu version that is a really hard way to get that.
I need duplication for 2 things:
1- More rare candy in order to get a Pidgey with 233 HP and set up the 7F ACE.
2- More TM in order to execute code.
How can I do?

Re: Item duplication in EU Pokemon RED

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-06-12 11:21:03
Well, your question is tricky because yes, encountering MissingNo. for us europeans is a big problem. Hopefully we have found a way to get a x255 item without MissingNo. which allows us to do the item underflow and thus, get the 8F item. Moreover, once that is possible, you can duplicate your items using ACE.

But your case is probably the last flaw in the system, as you need specific items to be duplicated in order to execute code. I'd like to mention that you can perform a very simple 8F code with easy-to-get items to obtain any item you want:

8F
    Any item which hex ID goes +1 once the code is active (quantity stays the same, so any x255 item obtained via underflow could be used, and then you could throw as much as necessary)
    Burn Heal x43
    Ice Heal x43
    Full Heal x201

Anyway, this still requires you to have a proper 8F setup. I'm guessing the easiest thing is using the underflow. You probably know that you can use "loop subglitches" involving 35th and 36th items to change the quantity and the nature of an item.

Date: 2016-06-12 12:20:12

Well, your question is tricky because yes, encountering MissingNo. for us europeans is a big problem. Hopefully we have found a way to get a x255 item without MissingNo. which allows us to do the item underflow and thus, get the 8F item. Moreover, once that is possible, you can duplicate your items using ACE.

But your case is probably the last flaw in the system, as you need specific items to be duplicated in order to execute code. I'd like to mention that you can perform a very simple 8F code with easy-to-get items to obtain any item you want:

8F
    Any item which hex ID goes +1 once the code is active (quantity stays the same, so any x255 item obtained via underflow could be used, and then you could throw as much as necessary)
    Burn Heal x43
    Ice Heal x43
    Full Heal x201

Anyway, this still requires you to have a proper 8F setup. I'm guessing the easiest thing is using the underflow. You probably know that you can use "loop subglitches" involving 35th and 36th items to change the quantity and the nature of an item.

Today I managed to get 7F for the first time. I did it because I read that 7F works on the eu version like 8F on the english one, tell me if I'm wrong. I used your method, with the partial underflow of the pc (which i didn't fixed yet).
So tell me if I'm wrong:
I have to setup the 7F (maybe with trainers glitch and underflow exp?), then get a 255 item from my pc, and use the 7F to get the item I want?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-13 10:03:29

I've tried to find a way to duplicate my items but I couldn't so here we are again.
The most common way to duplicate items is with missigno, but in the eu version that is a really hard way to get that.
How can I do?

For the Pidgey, I recommend you to use a Trainer-Fly to get a level 1 Pidgey (remember, it must NOT be sent to your PC !), otherwise you'll need ~1h of rare candy'ing + evolution cancelling.

For the quantities, forget Krys' long shenanigans. You can simply :

Note that this won't work for Yellow, but our EU Yellow Missingno is stable (yay !), so no worries 'bout that.
Once you got at least one item cloned, you can have a simpler item setup that will have 7F multiply items :

(Starting from the first item)
7F
Duplicate item x(any qty)
Lemonade x1
Soda Cool x43
Poké Ball x119
TM01 x(any qty)

(For the Poké Balls, have 1, clone it, then toss 10 of them)

This should give you 0 items in the second slot. The game won't delete the stack of items like you would expect it to, but you can toss items and it will behave as if you had 256 of it. That is, tossing 1 will give you 255, etc.
Remember, for every other action, this is a stack of 0 items. So, tossing 0 items will… delete the stack. Meh.

Date: 2016-06-13 11:47:57
"8F" refers to the same item in every game. But the 8F item is called 7EME ETAGE in french, and probably something like P7 in italian. That's just because steps are not counted in the same way in english.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-06-13 13:03:46

"8F" refers to the same item in every game. But the 8F item is called 7EME ETAGE in french, and probably something like P7 in italian. That's just because steps are not counted in the same way in english.

in US english*

Date: 2016-06-13 16:33:58

Yeah I realized that the F stood for "Floor" when i did it in italian. In ITA, it's called 7° P.

Date: 2016-06-14 07:39:02
7° P certo, visto che è il settimo piano. Questa gente americana è un po' strana  :D

in US english*

I didn't know that, sorry  ;D

Date: 2016-06-14 09:20:55

7° P certo, visto che è il settimo piano. Questa gente americana è un po' strana  :D

in US english*

Aaaaah oddio ho realizzato adesso. Perché in America non esiste il piano terra, partono dal primo piano!

Date: 2016-06-15 00:53:29
Esattamente!  ;)

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2016-06-16 01:11:45

in US english*

Aaaaah oddio ho realizzato adesso. Perché in America non esiste il piano terra, partono dal primo piano!

The worst thing is that in Australia half of the buildings start at Ground Floor and half start at First Floor…

Date: 2016-06-17 14:46:12

How can I do?

For the Pidgey, I recommend you to use a Trainer-Fly to get a level 1 Pidgey (remember, it must NOT be sent to your PC !), otherwise you'll need ~1h of rare candy'ing + evolution cancelling.

For the quantities, forget Krys' long shenanigans. You can simply :

[li]Get a Cooltrainer Ditto (y'know the drill…)[/li]
    [li]Go to any cave[/li]
    [li]Have an encounter[/li]
    [li]Open the PkMn or the Item menu then close it[/li]
    [li]Open and close the Fight menu until the Pokémon are corrupted[/li]
    [li]Catch the opponent[/li]
    [li]Now your items are duplicated ![/li]
    [li]Open your START menu before exiting the cave, and you're done ![/li]

Note that this won't work for Yellow, but our EU Yellow Missingno is stable (yay !), so no worries 'bout that.
Once you got at least one item cloned, you can have a simpler item setup that will have 7F multiply items :

(Starting from the first item)
7F
Duplicate item x(any qty)
Lemonade x1
Soda Cool x43
Poké Ball x119
TM01 x(any qty)

(For the Poké Balls, have 1, clone it, then toss 10 of them)

This should give you 0 items in the second slot. The game won't delete the stack of items like you would expect it to, but you can toss items and it will behave as if you had 256 of it. That is, tossing 1 will give you 255, etc.
Remember, for every other action, this is a stack of 0 items. So, tossing 0 items will… delete the stack. Meh.

I tried but it didn't worked :*(
First: maybe I did something wrong with Ditto or maybe it's because is the ITA version, but the cooltrainer move doesn't have cooltrainer as a type.
I tried in rock tunnel and with every pokemon I met I got the same result:
after some tries, finally the battle menu is stabilized. When I open it, the music starts slowly vanishing, then when i close the menu i get a burned foe. If I catch him, the game freeze, doesn't matter if will full party or not. If I try to escape, they don't let me, they die because of the burn, then the game crashes. Maybe I should try with a pokedoll?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-17 15:56:29
It looks like you activated the main glitch successfully (the music faded out and the foe became burned) in Rock Tunnel, however the statement that the glitch works in any cave sadly actually isn't true.

In the English version, the freeze can be avoided in the main Diglett's Cave map (map C5), Mt. Moon B1F (map 3C), all Seafoam Islands maps except for B4F (map C0), Unknown Dungeon 1F (map E2) and Unknown Dungeon 2F (map E4).

Other maps including Rock Tunnel do not work.

The easiest working map is Diglett's Cave because you can quickly walk to it from Vermilion City. I have confirmed that Diglett's Cave also works in the Italian version of Red.

Date: 2016-06-18 07:51:22

It looks like you activated the main glitch successfully (the music faded out and the foe became burned) in Rock Tunnel, however the statement that the glitch works in any cave sadly actually isn't true.

In the English version, the freeze can be avoided in the main Diglett's Cave map (map C5), Mt. Moon B1F (map 3C), all Seafoam Islands maps except for B4F (map C0), Unknown Dungeon 1F (map E2) and Unknown Dungeon 2F (map E4).

Other maps including Rock Tunnel do not work.

The easiest working map is Diglett's Cave because you can quickly walk to it from Vermilion City. I have confirmed that Diglett's Cave also works in the Italian version of Red.

It worked, thank you :)
One last question: this kind of missigno can corrupt somehow other things beside himself?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-18 12:11:11
You're welcome! Like other Missingno., if you view the stats of this Missingno. (hex:32), it will cause the inverted sprites. If you send it into battle, its backsprite likely won't freeze the game, but it will mess up the Hall of Fame. The Missingno. also cannot learn any moves other than Water Gun and Razor Wind unless you give it a TM/HM, so you're safe from Super Glitch.