Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Need some help on 4 4 - Page 1

Need some help on 4 4

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-07-14 23:33:35
Can someone tell me what's the effect of its sprite deconpression (aside from crashing)
Also, where does it its cry point to?
I know, I know it's invalid, but where exactly it's invalid cry point to?
I'm so lost on discovering 4 4

Re: Need some help on 4 4

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-07-15 00:57:54
Well, the game gets messed up because its sprite size is too big. 256*256, infact. The game draws too many bytes and ends up overflowing. 4 4's "cry" is really an effect due to the game jumping to 0x019A for somereason. This subroutine does some stuff with Pikachu's cry, leading to weird grinding noises. 4 4's actual cry is a move sound, I forgot which one, maybe Earthquake.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-07-15 02:13:54

4 4's "cry" is really an effect due to the game jumping to 0x019A for somereason.

This is something I didn't know, yet it is every important.

After hacking the game to jump to address $0135 from an RST vector (change bytes at $0038 to C3 35 01), not too far away from $019A, the "true cry" happens exactly how it did in my video. Similar effects happen when jumping to other nearby locations. So, somehow, one of the invalid sound banks causes jumps to this part of memory.

If I had a way of determining which sound bank it was (and why invalid sound banks tend to crash), I could then use my "SRAM corruption emulator" to find the conditions necessary to reproduce the effect. Obviously nobody knows if the effect was actually caused by corrupting sound bank data, because 4 4's effects also partially depend on location. But still, it's worth a shot.

4 4's actual cry is one of the sound channels of the move Surf. https://youtu.be/_0czHNnhUVs?t=2m55s
This cry is not related in any way to the effects caused by decompressing 4 4's sprite. The "true cry" is just a reference to a similar glitch, "Missingno.'s true cry". They are both caused by corrupting sound-related RAM addresses. https://youtu.be/X71p0sKAaFw

Date: 2016-07-15 04:56:17

4 4's "cry" is really an effect due to the game jumping to 0x019A for somereason.

This is something I didn't know, yet it is every important.

After hacking the game to jump to address $0135 from an RST vector (change bytes at $0038 to C3 35 01), not too far away from $019A, the "true cry" happens exactly how it did in my video. Similar effects happen when jumping to other nearby locations. So, somehow, one of the invalid sound banks causes jumps to this part of memory.

If I had a way of determining which sound bank it was (and why invalid sound banks tend to crash), I could then use my "SRAM corruption emulator" to find the conditions necessary to reproduce the effect. Obviously nobody knows if the effect was actually caused by corrupting sound bank data, because 4 4's effects also partially depend on location. But still, it's worth a shot.

4 4's actual cry is one of the sound channels of the move Surf. https://youtu.be/_0czHNnhUVs?t=2m55s
This cry is not related in any way to the effects caused by decompressing 4 4's sprite. The "true cry" is just a reference to a similar glitch, "Missingno.'s true cry". They are both caused by corrupting sound-related RAM addresses. https://youtu.be/X71p0sKAaFw
I see… So every glitch Pokemon that uses a invalid sound bank might have a chance to jump to a part of memory…
If you could really find out what sound bank that was, maybe the "true cry" could be reproduced! Amazing~
But does this mean different invalid sound bank can have a chance to jump to different part of memory?

ACE through invalid sound bank maybe?

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-07-15 14:13:54
Glitch sound banks cause jumps to $6BD4 every time a sound is played (more information: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,7518.msg200772.html#msg200772)
I checked all possible sound banks to see what code they execute.

We see all kinds of common effects:

Sound banks repeat every 0x40 entries (so banks 0x01, 0x41, 0x81 and 0xC1 are identical).
So, what else can we do with them?

0x11 delays a few frames by executing lots of halt instructions, then writes 0x2E to $C4C1 and then returns. $C4C1 is one of the tiles in the tilemap. So, this sound bank actually has visible effects - we can see the tile change for a few frames:

[img]https://aww.moe/3dn5ol.png[/img]

0x04 corrupts the value of address $DFE1, depending on which sound is played, and then returns without crashing. I'm not sure what this address does.

0x40 causes the game to jump to $E137, which is in the middle of sprite data. This area of memory is hard to control in real time, but it could be manipulated during a TAS to gain arbitrary code execution. Assuming we can get a Missingno. encounter with sound bank 0x40 early on, it could be an interesting and viable strategy in no save corruption any% TASes.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything that would be the cause of 4 4's true cry.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-15 17:59:52

0x04 corrupts the value of address $DFE1, depending on which sound is played, and then returns without crashing. I'm not sure what this address does.

0x40 causes the game to jump to $E137, which is in the middle of sprite data. This area of memory is hard to control in real time, but it could be manipulated during a TAS to gain arbitrary code execution. Assuming we can get a Missingno. encounter with sound bank 0x40 early on, it could be an interesting and viable strategy in no save corruption any% TASes.

DFE1 seems to be part of the stack.

SECTION "Stack", WRAMX[$dfff], BANK[1]
wStack:: ; dfff
ds -$100

For people wondering what $E137 could be (it is mentioned nowhere in the Pokéred disassembly), it is almost exactly the same as $C137 (it always hold the same value).
So $E137 is a sprite #3's animation counter. Good luck on manipulating this one (and sprite #4's, too !) data ^^
Although, if we can force this sound bank and reliably have the correct data, well… guess what !

(I agree with TheZZAZZGlitch in doubting it would give faster any% TASes, but who knows ?)

Date: 2016-07-15 19:01:12

Glitch sound banks cause jumps to $6BD4 every time a sound is played (more information: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,7518.msg200772.html#msg200772)

[li]0x01 - "learned"/"trying to learn" effect[/li]
    [li]0x03, 0x06, 0x07, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0C, 0x0D, 0x10, 0x12-0x1E, 0x21, 0x22, 0x24-0x3F - game crashes[/li]
    [li]0x05 - the game falls into an infinite loop and softlocks[/li]
    [li]0x0E - returns gracefully or gives an unknown opcode, depending on which sound is played[/li]
    [li]0x02, 0x04, 0x08, 0x0F, 0x23 - returns gracefully[/li]

Sound banks repeat every 0x40 entries (so banks 0x01, 0x41, 0x81 and 0xC1 are identical).

0x11 delays a few frames by executing lots of halt instructions, then writes 0x2E to $C4C1 and then returns. $C4C1 is one of the tiles in the tilemap. So, this sound bank actually has visible effects - we can see the tile change for a few frames:

It's actually a very early ACE, but we do need to know how can it work…

Also, 4 4 does corrupt sound banks too, and since 4 4 sprite is much more bigger (256 X 256 in theory) and unstable (player location might affect the sprite/effect, but how is unknown), it's kinda hard to figure it out.

Any thing on how much impact does 4 4's corruption does?

EDIT: What if the invalid sound bank were loaded before encountering 4 4 makes it don't crash?
Also is there any difference if you used the gameshark code "encounter any Pokemon"?

Date: 2016-07-16 06:22:58
It has chances to be huge. The game won't be running normally after, that I can almost guarantee.

Date: 2016-07-16 07:46:06

It has chances to be huge. The game won't be running normally after, that I can almost guarantee.
Party Pokemon corrupted
Corrupted map
Corrupted tiles
And not corrupted sounds, of course

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-07-16 08:20:14

[li]0x03, 0x06, 0x07, 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0C, 0x0D, 0x10, 0x12-0x1E, 0x21, 0x22, 0x24-0x3F - game crashes[/li]
    [li]0x0E - returns gracefully or gives an unknown opcode, depending on which sound is played[/li]

Cool. Can you do one for Pokemon Red/Blue as well?

Date: 2016-07-16 12:02:25
Guess I'll be doing that bot.

Date: 2016-07-16 22:26:50

Cool. Can you do one for Pokemon Red/Blue as well?

You'll have to find out what glitch Pokemon uses glitch sound bank…

Date: 2016-07-24 08:14:13
After knowing it's invalid sound bank which makes the game crash, and using gameshark to prevent sound banks from ever changing (thanks to TheZZAZZGlitch for giving me these infos :P), I tried out on VBA, and it worked.
And the game seems to be quite "normal" afterwards… or not.
Hitting FIGHT give us the infamous unknown oppose
POKEMON menu is inaccessible and just soft lock your game
Item menu, interestingly, didn't crapped too much at the beginning. But it just get weirder and weirder
And using a unknown random item gives us a Christmas-themed crash even its summer [cituation needed]
https://youtu.be/wiqosSUVVf8 It's the video…
Is there any, ANY way to end the battle peacefully?