Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Gameshark code - Page 1

Gameshark code

Posted by: iamnguyen
Date: 2016-07-16 19:54:33
Hello, I am new to Gameshark code. Any help is much appreciated.

I wonder how stat modifier works. For example:

Special Modifier
01??C0DA
01??C1DA

What do I change for each line? Let's say I want to change the special of my pokemon to 999, what value do I need to have? Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Gameshark code

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-07-17 03:45:48
999 is 3E7 in hex, so I believe the variables would be E7 and 03, respectively. Do, however, double-check or more before taking it into production.

Also, don't post the same thing multiple times in different boards.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-07-17 03:53:13
Every gameshark code induces a modification of the value (which is an hexadecimal number going from 00 to FF) of a given address. In the code "01??C0DA", the value of RAM address $DAC0 becomes "??".

Translated into decimal, FF is 255. As you can see, one RAM address is not enough to deal with a stat. We need to combine two RAM addresses, so the values can go up to FFFF (65535 in decimal - but of course the game will not allow you to go that far).

Anyway, a stat of dec:999 can be translated to hex:03E7. That means the first gameshark code should then be 0103C0DA and the second one 01E7C1DA.

To translate decimal into hexadecimal, don't hesitate to use Windows' calculator.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-17 05:08:14

999 is 3E7 in hex, so I believe the variables would be E7 and 03, respectively. Do, however, double-check or more before taking it into production.

Also, don't post the same thing multiple times in different boards.

Be careful, stats in RBY are big-endian. Sounds weird, I know, but it's that way.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2016-07-17 20:41:02
Bah. What dumbnosity.

Date: 2016-07-17 21:11:46
I kinda think Game Freak programmed the first generation like it would be a crappy game that would never go out of Japan, since it is very poorly programmed (look at the Swift accuracy glitches ! Or the Sabrina Win&Lose Glitch in JP R/G !). So it got coded quite poorly.

At least we still find more glitches, even in 2k16 ! :P

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-07-18 04:38:07

I kinda think Game Freak programmed the first generation like it would be a crappy game that would never go out of Japan, since it is very poorly programmed (look at the Swift accuracy glitches ! Or the Sabrina Win&Lose Glitch in JP R/G !). So it got coded quite poorly.

At least we still find more glitches, even in 2k16 ! :P

Honestly, there's more glitch then pokemons
And it's more fun on finding glitch then capturing Pokemon
But we'll have to thank game freak for that, or else we all might have forgotten Pokemon gen1/2

Date: 2016-07-18 05:47:41
And it's more fun on finding glitch then capturing Pokemon

This made me laugh a lot because honestly it's totally true

Date: 2016-07-18 06:36:53
Simply, totally, frantically true. Is is always awesome to find glitches. It is even better when they are good glitches (like ACE, or stuff).

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-07-18 07:11:10
I've played Gen I Pokemon games multiple times. I still have to do a glitchless playthrough.
Glitching is just a lot more fun that the game itself. In fact, I consider Gen I to be one of the worst games in the series, gameplaywise.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-07-18 07:40:27

I consider Gen I to be one of the worst games in the series, gameplaywise.

You may be on to something there. I never finished a glitchless playthrough of a Yellow cart I have. I think I last saved in the Rocket Hideout.

Date: 2016-07-18 08:00:38
Well, I don't know guys. I really enjoyed the game when I was 10 years old, it was all new and stuff. I had no idea about glitches by then.

Of course nowadays it would be refered as a poor game, especially compared to the other games in the series. But it was Game Boy back then.

Posted by: iamnguyen
Date: 2016-07-18 13:39:11
Thank you very much for all of your help. Glitches add a whole new dimension to the game. Discovering this community is the reason I'm replaying Pokémon. I just found out that arbitrary code execution can do the same thing as Gameshark codes and I'm eagerly learning how to perform it.