Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Was it worth me getting PKMN Green for its broken-ness? How broken is it really? - Page 1

Was it worth me getting PKMN Green for its broken-ness? How broken is it really?

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-07-18 14:34:34
Not sure which board this goes on, feel free to move.

I recently ordered Pokemon Green since it was cheap and I heard it was the most broken game.

Is it true? Is it worth it?

Re: Was it worth me getting PKMN Green for its broken-ness? How broken is it really?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-07-18 15:27:46
I've never really heard much about Pokémon Green's glitchiness outside of this, which is the most comprehensive glitch I've seen from it.

Hell, anytime Green comes up, it's usually about how astoundingly shitty its sprites look.

But in general if you can glitch the absolute hell out of something, it's worth it.

[size=2pt]I still want a Superman Ball.[/size]

Re: Was it worth me getting PKMN Green for its broken-ness? How broken is it really?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-18 17:30:05
I can tell you something like :
If you lose against Sabrina, then come back to her Gym, as soon as you hit the front carpet, she talks to you and give you the badge. Neato !

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-07-18 17:34:41

Not sure which board this goes on, feel free to move.

I recently ordered Pokemon Green since it was cheap and I heard it was the most broken game.

Is it true? Is it worth it?

This is the right board. :)

Yes, Pokémon Red/Green are among the most glitchy games. They introduced the select glitch, of which there are two types; item pack Select glitches and special menu Select glitches.

In the item pack Select glitches you press Select on an item in the items menu (or PC items), exit with B, B; enter battle and then either open the Pokémon menu or moves menu. From there you can swap invalid options (for example; if we pressed Select on item 7 and swapped the option on the Pokémon menu, you would be swapping Pokémon 7). Swapping invalid options has the ability to cause glitchy effects.

In Pokémon Green v1.0; you are able to perform a Select glitch directly from within a battle by pressing Select on an item in the items menu in the battle and exiting with B. The later v1.1/"Rev A" edition, as well as Japanese Blue patched this so that you have to use the items menu from outside of battle first.

In the special menu Select glitches; you are able to swap the entries within a lift, or the badge describer's list of badges. I'm unsure of the mechanics behind how these work; however it is possible to corrupt data including your Pokémon, name and items. But if I recall correctly, even if you perform the same actions you may not be able to receive the corruption for unknown reasons.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMf7_85ifc8[/youtube]

Other glitches that cannot be found in the English versions of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow include:

1) Swift effect glitch; RGBY JP - Recently documented by IceFlame; Swift may miss due to a bug. The 100%/high accuracy effect exists, but only for Pokémon under a Substitute.
2) Saffron Gym glitch; RG - When you lose against Sabrina in Saffron Gym, you will receive post battle text when you return and will obtain the badge without having to defeat her.
3) Empty Pokémon menu; RGB - Using the Potion in your PC at the beginning of the game, you can open the Pokémon menu without any Pokémon. This brings up a menu with nothing on the "どのにつま" screen except the text box and a black cursor pointing to nothing.
4) Prevented progress glitch; RGB and Yellow (localizations (via SRAM glitch) and possibly the original Japanese Yellow games) - A glitch in which obtaining two Pokémon in the Pokédex before delivering Oak's Parcel makes talking to Professor Oak rate your Pokédex and prevent you from delivering the parcel.
5) Broken hidden items glitch; RG - Certain hidden items have the wrong Itemfinder coordinates or cannot be found with the Itemfinder. The bit marking an obtained mismatching hidden item is hidden item bit 255; which is bit 7 of $D68E (altered when handing over a fossil); hence the action of handing over a fossil can restore a hidden item. Hidden items that can be obtained more than once with this method include Nuggets, Rare Candies, a Calcium and an Ultra Ball.
6) Surf from a cliff glitch; RG - You can Surf directly from the 'north edge' tile of raised ground/cliff and skip the boulder puzzle in Seafoam Islands.
7) Seafoam Islands text box glitches (1, 2); RGB - There are two hidden text boxes in Seafoam Islands that have effects including slowing down menus+resetting the game (Red/Green) and freezing the game/bringing up a text box with "…" (Japanese Blue).
8) Old man demonstration glitch; RGB - A glitch where if you have a full box of Pokémon; you can't have the old man catch a Pokémon (the game will become stuck on an infinite loop where the Poké Ball is selected) because the game will say the box is full. However, somebody commented that the 'old man not catching still exists'  (they mentioned Pokémon Yellow) so this makes me wonder if it actually works too on a Yellow/non-Japanese glitch.
9) Magikarp salesman glitch; RGB - A glitch where if you try to buy the Magikarp from the salesman in Route 3 Pokémon Center with a full party and a full box, you will not get the Magikarp but 500 Pokédollars will still be taken off you (so it is like the Magikarp salesman steals money from you).

Various glitch items, things, Pokémon are also different to those in the English versions. For example; Gold Badge (hex:6A) can bring up a Poké Mart in Red/Green, like the Yami Shop/Strange Mart glitch (a glitch where if you try to sell a 'long name glitch item' with stored screen data with a $50 byte you may corrupt a Poké Mart). There is a glitch Pokémon in Japanese Blue which is actually number 152 ( ; hex CC) and can be registered as a selectable Pokémon in the Pokédex as such.

Additionally, some Super Glitch moves have a battle end effect (for unknown reasons) if you bring up the move, exit and use an item to make a turn (like what you would do to escape a ZZAZZ glitch battle). I do not know why this is and if it happens in any English/non-Japanese versions.

Hope this helps for experimenting!

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-07-18 18:49:18
Are there any glitches that Pokemon Green can't do from its American/JPBlue counterparts?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-18 20:04:39
Green cannot do Yellow-exclusive glitches, but, aside from localizations errors (such as the Evolving Raichu), there are no glitches exclusive to non-RG games

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-07-19 09:56:21
There is another Japanese version 'natural glitch' I forgot to mention:

Card Key exploits (RGB JP) - Where you turn at the same time as opening a Card Key door. This allows you to change other blocks than the door's block/'destroy things' on the map.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPdAKHN0RIQ[/youtube]

Green cannot do Yellow-exclusive glitches, but, aside from localizations errors (such as the Evolving Raichu), there are no glitches exclusive to non-RG games

Not sure if this counts but don't forget the coast glitch (used for old man trick) cannot be performed in Japanese versions, nor can the grass surfing encounter glitch from Spanish and Italian versions (unless you somehow ported the glitch). However there probably aren't many glitches exclusive to non Japanese versions that don't require another glitch. Of the ones that do require another glitch, these may include infinite encounter chain Trainer-escape glitch (depending on whether the items for it exist in Japanese versions) and perhaps Pikachu off-screen glitch arbitrary code execution (however; if there are any accessible glitch signs for it in the Japanese versions that execute code from memory it may exist there).