Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Gen 1: Walk through walls to entrance of Indigo Plateau/Victory Road w/o Badges - Page 1

Gen 1: Walk through walls to entrance of Indigo Plateau/Victory Road w/o Badges

Posted by: xoftware.org
Date: 2016-07-19 19:25:02
Hey all!

I recently just found GDQ on YouTube, and I felt inspired to pull out the gameboy (er, emulator) again and boot it up! Is there common knowledge or a guide on how to walk through walls to the entrance of Indigo Plateau/Victory Road? I'm asking because I know how to find it consistently, in case people didn't know it was possible. (I know some people have had trouble with it without all 8 of the badges.)

As far as I can tell, you don't need any particular badges to do so. (I'm already recording a run that includes this, so I'd love to help out and post a video or wiki.)

Thanks! Keep up the great work!

Re: Gen 1: Walk through walls to entrance of Indigo Plateau/Victory Road w/o Badges

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-19 19:51:35
For the Walk though Walls glitch itself, the [http://glithchcity.info/wiki/Walk_through_walls wiki page] is plentiful on methods. As for the particular Indigo Plateau thing, I'm going to quote [http://tasvideos.org/4416S.html the currently published TAS commentary].

Route 23

All overworld maps (cities and routes) are connected at their edges, so you can traverse the world without loading zones. The connection between Route 22 and Route 23 is special though, since it is the only one that can't be used legitimately (you need to go through the gate house), even though it works and is defined in a perfectly valid way. This allowed the current publication to skip two of the badge checks, and allows this run to skip all eight badges. The tileset used in the two routes is different, which not only creates visual glitches when crossing maps, it also confuses the game about where to place the player in the map, putting it at the coordinates of the warp with the ID of the last used warp. By entering and exiting the house in Pewter city, this ID is set to 4, which allows us to skip all guards checking for badges.

I can't tell much more :P. Also, I've not verified this, and am too lazy to switch OSes to do so. If it doesn't work, come back complaining here, and we'll deal with it.

Re: Gen 1: Walk through walls to entrance of Indigo Plateau/Victory Road w/o Badges

Date: 2016-07-19 21:49:35
Thanks! Yeah, that one is using the same technique, except he [MrWint] goes a much more difficult [confusing] route.

In terms of wiki documentation, walking through walls to the Indigo Plateau/Victory Road is unique. It can be confusing, in the sense that you can't see where you're going. You have to navigate somewhat to completely blindly through a garbled part of the map. If you step on the wrong tile in the endless nomansland, it crashes the game, but on top of that, the way it's garbled is not always the same, but depends on other factors. Also, according to that link, getting through without particular badges depends on an additional step before the walk through walls glitch.

I'd be happy to help out with this exceptional use case, so people who use these guides can understand
1. that it is possible
2. plainly, how to do it, which isn't difficult.

By the way, what OS/Emu are you using? I'm just running a minimal Linux/VBAM (command-line.) I love it!

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-07-19 22:04:56
Couldn't you just use step-counting a la Tweaking to weave around the triggers and find the Indigo Plateau/Victory Road entrances that way? It's not like the map bounds change because of an invalid/wrong tileset…

…do they?

Date: 2016-07-19 22:35:11
That's a good question. As far as I can tell, the tileset doesn't impact the bounds. These bounds, though, can be a little unintuitive and weird, it seems, especially if you've never entered to see where the guards stand without any badges.

I don't know if the map is actually straightforward. It seemed like the actual location with the guards was offset to the left of the building, instead of directly behind it.

Anyway, how about this. I'll upload the video to YouTube and post it back here with some basic instructions. Then if I or somebody wants to document it officially in the wiki, somebody can. You all here do a very good job of it.

Edit:

Oh, and I am not much of an expert on it beyond what I've said so far. I just discovered it on my own, and tested it again on a new game.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-07-20 02:58:15
I don't know if there's a text guide of some sort, but this TAS pretty much shows one of the correct paths to achieve this: https://youtu.be/kCkw2kSzCcE?t=676
The trick is to enter the Indigo Plateau map at a high enough Y coordinate to be above the badge guards, bypassing them completely.

Date: 2016-07-20 07:26:01
The problem with the gaurds is that they trigger their texts (thus, their checks) whenever the player is the same height as them. Basically, if you have to cross that height, you're screwed. Worse, it means that you'll lose the NoClip glitch.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-07-20 10:45:34

The problem with the gaurds is that they trigger their texts (thus, their checks) whenever the player is the same height as them. Basically, if you have to cross that height, you're screwed. Worse, it means that you'll lose the NoClip glitch.

Forgot to account for both of those. Derp. :P

Posted by: derula
Date: 2016-07-24 11:42:21

Thanks! Yeah, that one is using the same technique, except he [MrWint] goes a much more difficult [confusing] route.

Why do you think the TAS route is difficult? The only thing I messed up trying to replicate that initially is that I forgot to enter the random house before starting the glitch, because I can't read. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. You go down and then up again, then enter a door.

Date: 2016-07-24 13:34:25
The TAS route uses IV manipulation. The unassisted method requires specific PP (see the wiki article).