Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Why does my trainer-fly keep failing? - Page 1

Why does my trainer-fly keep failing?

Posted by: derula
Date: 2016-07-24 10:10:49
Hi there,

I recently purchased Pokémon Red on 3DS VC, and am casually glitching it. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find any documented source stating what I'm doing wrong, so here's what I am trying to do:

Expected result:

Received result:

I tried trainer-flying from two different trainers (routes 8 and 9); identical result. I tried flashing the start menu or encountering a wild Pokémon (not sure when to do that; doing it after the trainer on route 25 will get me a different encounter). I believe I tried it with defeating the Slowpoke and got the same thing.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. But what? Is it because I'm traveling through Cerulean City, where there is an untriggered rival encounter, and this somehow messes up the sequence? I like to use the bicycle during Brock Through Walls because it messes with the music; could that be the reason?

I know this is a really old and well-documented glitch, and you're probably sick of having to explain it to newbies all the time, but I just didn't find anything regarding my specific setup… or even a hint of a reason why this rival fight could possibly be triggered. Maybe I just didn't find the right place to look yet. Either way, I would welcome some pointers :>

Thanks for our patience!

Edit: I should mention, I trigger Brock Through Walls with Squirtle level 9 (special 16) in slot 1 and Pidgey level 3 at full health (15) in slot 2.

Re: Why does my trainer-fly keep failing?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-24 13:39:36
I don't know the explanation for sure, but I can tell you that the Brock Through Walls overwrites large amounts of RAM, so… maybe that is why the encounter is wrong. But I cannot confirm this.

Posted by: Aldrasio
Date: 2016-07-24 15:22:47
Have you given this a shot in an emulator? BGB has a RAM viewer you can use to make sure the right values are in place (I believe the address you need to look at is CFFD).

Posted by: vowel
Date: 2016-07-24 15:28:53
I defeat a random trainer between the center and Pewter to restore my start menu.
Don't do that  ;)

Posted by: Aldrasio
Date: 2016-07-24 15:41:54

I defeat a random trainer between the center and Pewter to restore my start menu.
Don't do that  ;)

No, that's not the issue. You can do that and still change the Pokemon you'll encounter in a later battle.

Date: 2016-07-24 15:58:49

I don't know the explanation for sure, but I can tell you that the Brock Through Walls overwrites large amounts of RAM, so… maybe that is why the encounter is wrong. But I cannot confirm this.

Hmm, that might indeed be a problem. Interesting though that I consistently get the same encounter.

Don't do that  ;)

Well, I need to do that in order to activate Brock Through Walls again… (can't talk to NPCs while start menu is inactive) but if that causes it to break anyway, then I guess I would have to find another way.

Have you given this a shot in an emulator? BGB has a RAM viewer you can use to make sure the right values are in place (I believe the address you need to look at is CFFD).

Ah, I might do that just to verify if Brock Through Walls is what breaks it. Thanks.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-07-25 00:19:06
Did you flash the Start menu before entering the route?

Date: 2016-07-25 14:35:27

Did you flash the Start menu before entering the route?

I did.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-25 19:42:32

Hmm, that might indeed be a problem. Interesting though that I consistently get the same encounter.

I am almost certain that Brock Through Walls writes a large portion of ROM (which is constant) to RAM, so this would make sense as for the consistency of your encounters. It's not the only explanation that satisfies this consistency, though ;)