Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Save Corruption [J] - Page 1

Save Corruption [J]

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-01 20:09:41
Does anybody know the correct timing for save corruption when you begin the game inside of your house in Red and Green to access the Pokemon menu? Thanks :)

Re: Save Corruption [J]

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-09-01 20:30:53

Does anybody know the correct timing for save corruption when you begin the game inside of your house in Red and Green to access the Pokemon menu? Thanks :)
I think the timing window is right after the Yes/No box disappears.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-02 10:58:45

I think the timing window is right after the Yes/No box disappears.

That's for English versions for sure, but i don't know about the JP ones.
Anyway, I will expand this.
The timing is in-between the YES\NO box disappearing and the text changing.
You can get 4 outcomes:
[size=14pt]1.The save file will not be created.
2.The file will corrupt.
3.The file will be made, but you will not be able to access the Pokémon menu.
4.The save will be made and you can access the Pokémon menu (what you want).
5.The Pre-ordered lists are crap and don't even work.[/size]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-02 16:03:55
I think the time you have to reset may actually be a different time for Red and Green too. It's possibly after the full saving message prints (?) but I sadly can't remember for sure.

FractalFusion made a VBM movie demonstrating this glitch in Japanese Red, in which you can finish the game very quickly with only a few Pokémon swaps and luck manipulation for a specific Trainer ID. I've decided strictly not to use emulators anymore and only consoles with tools so I'm afraid I can't encode the video on VBA to check and unfortunately Spikestuff's Youtube video is down.

In Japanese Yellow it is after the Yes/No box disappears, according to this NicoNico video. I'm unsure what the timing is for Japanese Blue but it may be after the Yes/No box disappears as well.

Date: 2016-09-02 16:10:57

I think the time you have to reset may actually be a different time for Red and Green too. It's possibly after the full saving message prints (?) but I sadly can't remember for sure.

FractalFusion made a VBM movie demonstrating this glitch in Japanese Red, in which you can finish the game very quickly with only a few Pokémon swaps and luck manipulation for a specific Trainer ID. I've decided strictly not to use emulators anymore and only consoles with tools so I'm afraid I can't encode the video on VBA to check and unfortunately Spikestuff's Youtube video is down.

In Japanese Yellow it is after the Yes/No box disappears, according to this NicoNico video. I'm unsure what the timing is for Japanese Blue but it may be after the Yes/No box disappears as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC1ThG3dWFM

I have tried this perfect timing 15 times on hardware and it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure the save timing is different.

By the way your new avatar looks cute :)

Date: 2016-09-02 16:38:12
Ah, Golderzoa's video. Thanks for that! ^^

That's a shame and hope you get it to work soon. If someone wants to download and play the VBM movie they may be able to find out the timing for Japanese Red (and Green) but I personally don't support it anymore.

Thank you! :)

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-02 17:03:15

Ah, Golderzoa's video. Thanks for that! ^^

That's a shame and hope you get it to work soon. If someone wants to download and play the VBM movie they may be able to find out the timing for Japanese Red (and Green) but I personally don't support it anymore.

Thank you! :)
I forgot some specifics, but I know using BGB's debugger helps IMMENSELY and you should reset at a specific instruction, but I forget which one.

Date: 2016-09-04 23:06:12
Could somebody try and test this out? I believe it is the same timing as Blues, but all I have access to right now is console. I'm not very good at this, so can somebody test?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-05 15:43:05
The moment we need to reset should be from when the last checksummed byte is written to the moment right before the number of Pokémon in the party is written.

Then count the number of CPU cycles and multiply by their length. Gotcha.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-05 19:27:18

The moment we need to reset should be from when the last checksummed byte is written to the moment right before the number of Pokémon in the party is written.

Then count the number of CPU cycles and multiply by their length. Gotcha.

So BGB would make this so much easier…

Date: 2016-09-19 18:12:46
I did some testing into getting this to work. Red/Green is very hard and I don't know how you do it if you don't have the previous message that you have a save file (which strangely seems to appear with uninitialized save data or data corrupted with a dead battery). The VBM movie does the glitch after "(PLAYER)はにっきの!" with the 'previous save file' message showing.

On my physical dead cartridge Pocket Monsters Green I successfully did the SRAM glitch eventually by resetting the game after "!" but couldn't really do anything with it as the save data didn't appear to be filled with FF and opening the party menu would lock-up the game with a white screen. Strangely, in the rival battle I sent out a Charmeleon named  " ", which I remembered because it sounds like "Newo". I erased my save file with Up+Select+B and was never able to get it to work again until I waited for my save file to corrupt and give the pre-existing save file message due to the dead battery.

On my physical Japanese Blue cartridge I was able to pull off the glitch immediately after the "!" like in Pocket Monsters Green, this time after erasing the save file with Up+Select+B, and I was able to access the party filled with 255 Pokémon.

If you are lucky enough to get an F1 or D1 byte in your Trainer ID or just use the GameShark code 01F1D8D2, the following player names for FractalFusion's trick will let you beat the game only with Pokémon swaps:

CALL 3E9D (ぼ)
for Red v1.0

CALL 3E8B (ぼ)
for Red v1.1 (unconfirmed)

CALL 3EB1 (ぼ)
for Japanese Blue

CALL 3EAD (ぼ)
for Japanese Yellow

CALL 3EAE (ぼ)
for Japanese Yellow Rev A, B, C

FractalFusion's instructions (quoted):

- Do the save and reset thing to corrupt memory.

- After reloading the game, open the Pokemon menu.

- Switch the 7th and 8th Pokemon. This gives a HoF end message that does not require input.

- Switch the 9th and 10th Pokemon. This moves 01 D1/F1 at D2D7 to D2AB.

- Switch the 15th and 26th Pokemon. This moves D2AB to D2ED, the address to an execution pointer, when closing the menu.

- Close the menu. The game reads D101 (F101) off the above address and jumps there. There are 00 bytes (NOP) until D11D, which it executes, resulting in the HoF. The instructions place 0x55 into the A register (01 SUB AC -> 0x55), then jumps to 3E9D, which seems to be a warp manager that uses the A register.

I haven't tested Japanese Yellow on a physical cartridge yet but if the video in the earlier posts is accurate to the real game it should work after the Yes/No box disappears.