Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

How can a game be this glitchy? - Page 1

How can a game be this glitchy?

Posted by: TheUnReturned
Date: 2016-09-17 22:32:39
You know, like, just how amazing is Game Freak is?
Is it intended to be very glitchy at the beginning
And the goal is to find all the glitch and not pokemons?

Re: How can a game be this glitchy?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-18 03:57:41
We know for sure that some developers left during development ;  reading, debugging and working with someone else's code is a huge pain, so, welp :P
Also, I think (but I have no proof) that developers weren't really invested in their development, since for example several bytes are wasted in RAM, when they could have been used to well, add features or bugfix… in short : this game is NOT optimised. And, well, this non-optimisation causes glitches (it is the redundancy of the Pokémon species byte that allows the existence of hybrids).

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-18 11:36:11
These games were their first games, so they were still beginners when it comes to programming.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: 2016-09-19 00:46:32
Possibly. Their skill level jumped with Gen II, then :P

Date: 2016-09-19 03:57:47

Possibly. Their skill level jumped with Gen II, then :P
Yeah I agree

Except from the coin case

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-09-19 06:58:56
There's nothing wrong with the Coin Case in Japan. Blame the US translators instead.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-09-19 07:40:55
Indeed, but many glitches remain in Gen II. They certainly learned some lessons, but their skills did not improve that much. Not mentioning Coin Case, we can still execute code, underflow things, etc. Glitches like Bad Clone Trick, Merge glitch, Infinite PC Items and TM Code Execution could have been avoided  ;D

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-09-19 11:21:32
All mentioned glitches require a save and reset, so an out-of-battery gen 2 game is essentially glitch-free :P

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-09-19 11:39:31

All mentioned glitches require a save and reset, so an out-of-battery gen 2 game is essentially glitch-free :P

Other than things such as the Present glitch, Nightmare glitch and Dragon Fang effect glitch (if they aren't language specific; the Dragon Fang effect glitch apparently applies to the Japanese versions) but yeah, Generation II seems notably less glitchy if Coin Case and save glitches are not counted.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-19 19:21:46

We know for sure that some developers left during development ;  reading, debugging and working with someone else's code is a huge pain, so, welp :P
Also, I think (but I have no proof) that developers weren't really invested in their development, since for example several bytes are wasted in RAM, when they could have been used to well, add features or bugfix… in short : this game is NOT optimised. And, well, this non-optimisation causes glitches (it is the redundancy of the Pokémon species byte that allows the existence of hybrids).

The developers faced a lot of challenges, both economical and technical (in addition to their inexperience). In his 20th anniversary message, Junichi Masuda said that Game Freak's PCs broke often while they were developing Red and Green.

Date: 2016-09-22 03:39:04

The developers faced a lot of challenges, both economical and technical (in addition to their inexperience). In his 20th anniversary message, Junichi Masuda said that Game Freak's PCs broke often while they were developing Red and Green.
With the crappy PC, they managed to create the incredibly-glitchy Pokemon
This game is better with glitches

Date: 2016-09-22 03:45:33
Mew Trick for the win !
Yet the basics this game set still exist in the later gens, so it's not structurally bad. It's just crappy programming.

Posted by: Max
Date: 2016-09-28 17:47:42
Also remember that twenty years ago the programming tools available were less refined - there were less assembly-time warnings and I doubt the assembler and/or compiler (if C was used at all) did much for optimization. On top of that there was no operating system (and no/limited libraries) for the GB.

Date: 2016-09-29 05:09:24
These games aren't built in C, I promise.