Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Different items by renaming Rival? - Page 1

Different items by renaming Rival?

Posted by: slenderman44
Date: 2016-10-01 18:46:24
Hi! I'm no expert on Pokemon glitching, so excuse me if this is a pretty basic topic. We all know that you can get different items in the Underflow menu depending on what you name your rival. My question is what would you have to name your rival to get, say, 8F in the Rival Name section in the Underflow Menu? All I know is that two characters equals one byte, iirc.

Re: Different items by renaming Rival?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-10-01 20:45:31

Hi! I'm no expert on Pokemon glitching, so excuse me if this is a pretty basic topic. We all know that you can get different items in the Underflow menu depending on what you name your rival. My question is what would you have to name your rival to get, say, 8F in the Rival Name section in the Underflow Menu? All I know is that two characters equals one byte, iirc.

Technically, only the name changes. Y'know, because control characters and ROM and all… But yes. The name would change due to control characters (so like a batch variable: "%RIVALNAME%" or something of that sort, it's just there to display the rival name as that's not fixed and I'm rambling have a period.)

Date: 2016-10-01 21:07:51

Technically, only the name changes. Y'know, because control characters and ROM and all… But yes. The name would change due to control characters (so like a batch variable: "%RIVALNAME%" or something of that sort, it's just there to display the rival name as that's not fixed and I'm rambling have a period.)

Yeah, but is there any source on what to name your rival to get certain items? There's a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/4ZDpQXGe) describing which text characters correspond to which hexadecimal characters in Gen 2; I'm just wondering if there's something like this for Gen 1 so I can tailor my rival's name to get certain items.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-10-01 21:45:48

Yeah, but is there any source on what to name your rival to get certain items? There's a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/4ZDpQXGe) describing which text characters correspond to which hexadecimal characters in Gen 2; I'm just wondering if there's something like this for Gen 1 so I can tailor my rival's name to get certain items.

…again, it just changes the name. No effect change occurs unless it jumps to the rival's name and as of now that cannot happen that we know of. It just adds up to a name change and that's it.

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2016-10-01 23:55:53
I think what theyre asking is if they can name their rival in such a way that when accessing that memory with item underflow, would result in 8F. On the sidebar theres a link to the big HEX list, which is probably what youre looking for. Unfortunately, the character which corrisponds to 8F is a control character, so it's not possible to name your rival in such a way to get 8F.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-10-02 03:41:32

I think what theyre asking is if they can name their rival in such a way that when accessing that memory with item underflow, would result in 8F. On the sidebar theres a link to the big HEX list, which is probably what youre looking for. Unfortunately, the character which corrisponds to 8F is a control character, so it's not possible to name your rival in such a way to get 8F.

Couldn't you just manipulate the bytes controlling the rival's name for it to becomr that control character.

Date: 2016-10-02 07:36:26

Thanks; that's what I was looking for. Relatively new to GCL, lol.

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2016-10-02 18:39:42

Couldn't you just manipulate the bytes controlling the rival's name for it to becomr that control character.

you could, but that would defeat the purpose of why they want to do it in the first place, which is to gain access to 8F by naming their rival in such a way and then finding it through item underflow.