Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon's nickname randomly got really long? - Page 1

Pokemon's nickname randomly got really long?

Posted by: Paras
Date: 2016-10-23 04:01:20
Hi, kind of a glitch noob here but I never saw this happen before so I thought I'd post about it. Okay, first off, this was on a Blue rom and I had used the Universal Pokemon Randomizer on it, so I don't know if that maybe had something to do with it somehow (though I use it a lot and I had never seen it cause a glitch like this). But I hadn't used any other glitches or gameshark codes etc, in this game.

Basically, I had a Nidorino in the PC, and his nickname somehow changed to have a really long space and the letters "LFAF" at the end of it. I've heard that some glitch Pokemon have really long names, never really messed around with them myself, but I think they have this same effect, I would have to press A/B a lot on any screen his name was on, like I had to scroll through it (even if his name wasn't actually in the text box at the bottom). (So you can probably skip the next paragraph if you know the effects of long names haha)

I first noticed this when I was going to withdraw a Pokemon from the PC, and when scrolling through the Pokemon, it would stop scrolling whenever the Nidorino's name scrolled onto the screen, until I pressed A/B. His name looked normal in the PC, but after pressing A/B it said just "LFAF" in the text box at the bottom, and when withdrawing him it said "(long space taking up a few lines) LFAF was taken out." Looking at his stats would give a blank white screen until I pressed A/B, and the little text that says "IDNo/" and "OT/" was missing on his stats screen. Looking at the party screen when he was in it would also give a blank white screen at first, and when I tried battling with him, I would have to constantly press A/B, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row, before anything would happen. Going to the name rater and changing his name fixed all of this of course.

Soooo any ideas how this could happen to a normal non-glitch Pokemon, when I hadn't even used any glitches or seen any glitch Pokemon in the game? I had about 4 PC boxes full of Pokemon and this was the only one it happened to, so far. The only thing abnormal about my Pokemon really is that they know moves that they normally shouldn't, due to the randomizer (not glitch moves or anything). The last move on the Nidorino's move list was Razor Leaf, so I wondered if maybe the "LFAF" came from the "LEAF". Or could it be something to do with other Pokemon in that box? I had just caught a Gastly and Graveler and deposited a Seaking in there before I noticed this glitch. I even had that Nidorino in my party before and his name was perfectly normal then. So yeah, what's going on here?

Re: Pokemon's nickname randomly got really long?

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-10-23 04:50:44
Maybe a emulation error? I've been using this randomizer since 1.6.1 and nothing like this ever happened to me, this is similar to how randomized Bing Crystal cleaned my current box every now and then. It was just JP Crystal with the text being translated with Bing.

Posted by: monisa18
Date: 2016-11-01 07:52:05
It could be an emulation error, but it depends on what kind of glitches you've been doing. Certain glitches can alter your Pokemon, and very long glitchy nicknames is a common occurrence. It's always a good idea to check and make sure everything's okay before you Save after doing a glitch (Some glitches you should never save after)

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2016-11-01 09:15:50
That's very strange but I have had that happen to me when I would
do the MissingNo. glitch and the glitchcity glitch over and over, but I don't see
how it would happen out of nowhere like that.

Posted by: monisa18
Date: 2016-11-01 09:22:50

I would do the MissingNo. glitch and the glitchcity glitch over and over, but I don't see
how it would happen out of nowhere like that.

Well I meant really volatile glitches like Super Glitch and ZZAZZ. Obviously, MissingNo. can glitch your Hall of Fame, but I've never heard of it messing with your actual Pokemon names. As far as Glitch City goes, it really doesn't pose a threat at all, so I wouldn't expect that to do anything.