Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"Out of Bounds" types - Page 1

"Out of Bounds" types

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-12-21 04:03:36
Bulbapedia states that Red/Blue's Pokemon #205 (dex number, not index)'s types are Normal/Ground. It actually has types 8Dh and 84h, which the game probably interprets as 0Dh and 04h and shows them as Normal (all types between 09h and 13h inclusive are named Normal) and Ground respectively.

However when I test the Pokemon out in the game, Grass moves and Poison moves are both normally effective (1x) against it, while Fighting moves are super effective (2x), so it's essentially pure Normal type. What determines if a type works as it's shown or not?

Re: "Out of Bounds" types

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-12-21 05:40:09
8D and 84 showing up as 0D and 04 is merely visual, since the game doubles that value (scrapping the highest bit) to find the pointer to the name.
BUT ! These types ARE 8D and 84. So this Pokémon is essentially a Glitch/Glitch Pokémon, not Normal/Ground.

I don't quite get why you got 2x Fighting, since this routine checks exact types (and not the displayed types).

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-12-22 04:24:32
My mistake. Fighting is 1x after all. My eyes must be playing tricks on me.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-12-22 07:16:24
Okay, that matches what I expected. All attacks will score 1x against it, and not attack will fail because of the type.
This is because the game has a list of scenarios, and since the types of this Pokémon are nowhere in that list, then the game applies no special case.

Side note : nope, no way to get past the table's bounds. Also, it is in ROM. So no glitches are possible.