Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Strange Trade With Time Capsule Exploit Pokemon - Page 1

Strange Trade With Time Capsule Exploit Pokemon

Posted by: MewFlare
Date: 2016-12-22 18:11:19
I've been playing around with the Time Capsule Exploit/Johto Guard Glitch a lot recently and something strange happened when I evolved one of the Pokemon in Yellow and traded it to Red. Be warned- this is a long post!

So by going through Bulbapedia, I found that the glitch Pokemon / g J 1 (hex C9) evolves into/ 4 4, (hex FE) at level 60. If the resulting / 4 4, is traded to Red/Blue it would become a 'M (hex FE). So I got two Furret in Gold and used the Time Capsule Exploit to send then to Yellow, then used rare candies until they were level 60 and evolved into / 4 4,. I kept one in Yellow and traded the other to Red to get 'M (FE). But thats not what happened.

In Red, the / 4 4, was invisible both on the trading screen and party menu, but was completely normal in Yellow. Having played around with Charizard 'M and Q this was familiar but the hex FE 'M shouldn't be doing that. In Yellow the / 4 4,'s nickname was FE, its level was 60, its OT was KEVIN (my name in Gold) and its ID was 63512. Its moves were Tackle, Toxic, Quick Attack, and Swords Dance. But when I traded it to Red, it didn't become the hex FE 'M like it was supposed to, but rather the hex FF 'M! Its name went from being FE to blank, it was asleep, and level 149. Its ID number changed to 00824 and its OT became VIN. Its HP was wrapped around the screen (like Yellow Missingno when it down levels). Its moves changed to Quick Attack, Swords Dance, TM48, and Double Kick. I sent it into battle, woke it up with the Poke flute, and used TM48 after it disobeyed a few times. The game just froze.

Does anyone have any idea what in the world happened? How does a hex FE glitch just "transform" into hex FF? If it helps, I did it all on cartridge and no cheating device was ever used.

Edit by Torchickens: I've reduced the sizes of your images so that they don't stretch the page. I've re-uploaded the original images here.

Re: Strange Trade With Time Capsule Exploit Pokemon

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-12-22 20:19:37
This is interesting. It seems the data structure shifted by two bytes. (trainer ID became moves 3 and 4, first 2 bytes of exp. became trainer ID…)

Can you give pictures of stats of the Pokémon in Red?

Date: 2016-12-22 22:33:37
I can't……. I get an error that the pictures are too big

I can provide 'M's stats. Would that work?

Date: 2016-12-23 09:17:46

I can't……. I get an error that the pictures are too big

I can provide 'M's stats. Would that work?

Upload to imgur or some other image host or pomf clone.

Date: 2016-12-23 09:57:38
http://imgur.com/a/U4sl0
http://imgur.com/a/Ta9TK

I hope this works

Date: 2016-12-23 11:28:58
Can you check your other FE in the Trade Centre on Red just so I know this isn't some weird one-off linking desync?

From these stats you can see also that level shifted into move 3 PP, and first byte of max HP shifted into move 4 PP. No idea where level and stats came from, especially special (what was the species and max HP of the Pokémon following your traded FE on Yellow?) and current HP. Are the stats screenshots both of the same hex:FE before and after trade? If not then that would explain the weirdness.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-12-23 11:29:26
Welcome to the forums and great find MewFlare! :) I think like Wack0 said it appears that the bytes are shifted back by two bytes.

I experienced a glitch like this between Yellow and Gold/Silver a few years ago when Yellow had a hex:FE (obtained via the same method as you) and called it the ????? (FE) corruption glitch.  Háčky pointed out that the glitch causes everything to be shifted by one byte, and with specific planning you can cause it to not be regarded as unstable in Gold/Silver.

I don't know if anybody knows how it works but Háčky speculated the glitch between Yellow and Crystal may be related to code in the ROM at $2879E in Crystal.

If you want a hex:FE on Red/Blue you'll have to use arbitrary code execution, CoolTrainer/LOL glitch (preferably Rival LG with an 8 in the Rival's name) or theoretically you may be able to give hex:FE a current HP of 254 and stabilize it into hex:FE again after it corrupts (this may or may not work but I'm unsure). And actually, since you got this to work between two Generation I games (which don't have error messages for unstable Pokémon) you could theoretically use it to get any Pokémon like the box remaining HP glitch.

I'm just going to reduce the sizes of your attached images as they stretch the thread. I'll leave links to the original images but not embedded.

Date: 2016-12-23 11:45:06
Oh? I didn't realise this was already known. In fact Háčky's post even says that two hex:FE in the party shifts the structure by two bytes, and it seems that MewFlare did have two hex:FEs in the party at the time (one for keeping in Yellow and one to trade to Red)

I'm guessing the bug is related to the patch list, as 0xFE needs patching before transfer and back after transfer as it is SERIAL_NO_DATA_BYTE. (it gets patched to 0xFF, so…)

Date: 2016-12-23 11:53:47

Oh? I didn't realise this was already known. In fact Háčky's post even says that two hex:FE in the party shifts the structure by two bytes, and it seems that MewFlare did have two hex:FEs in the party at the time (one for keeping in Yellow and one to trade to Red)

I'm guessing the bug is related to the patch list, as 0xFE needs patching before transfer and back after transfer as it is SERIAL_NO_DATA_BYTE. (it gets patched to 0xFF, so…)

I see, hmm.

Date: 2016-12-23 16:10:09
Sorry for the late reply! And thanks for resizing the pics Torchickens :) I never knew that hex FE shifts bytes. You'd think they'd point that out on Bulbapedia :/ I can't do the remaining HP glitch in Red cuz I've completely filled box 1 (I'm assuming the glitch is caused by not having an FF byte in the box, but I'm not that great with technical stuff) but I'll look into the LOL glitch and see if that's possible. Then I can get the other glitch Pokemon that can't be directly obtained from the Johto guard glitch or by evolving another glitch.

Alternatively (and this is only theoretical) but if FE was the only Pokemon in my party in Yellow would it not shift any bytes and be safe to trade to Red? I might try it……. but in the meantime I'm keeping that lv. 149 Charizard 'M with infinite HP!

Date: 2016-12-23 17:40:46

Sorry for the late reply! And thanks for resizing the pics Torchickens :) I never knew that hex FE shifts bytes. You'd think they'd point that out on Bulbapedia :/ I can't do the remaining HP glitch in Red cuz I've completely filled box 1 (I'm assuming the glitch is caused by not having an FF byte in the box, but I'm not that great with technical stuff) but I'll look into the LOL glitch and see if that's possible. Then I can get the other glitch Pokemon that can't be directly obtained from the Johto guard glitch or by evolving another glitch.

Alternatively (and this is only theoretical) but if FE was the only Pokemon in my party in Yellow would it not shift any bytes and be safe to trade to Red? I might try it……. but in the meantime I'm keeping that lv. 149 Charizard 'M with infinite HP!

That's OK, I didn't think it was late at all and you're welcome! :) Mm, I think it has been assumed all glitch Pokémon are available through equivalent trade, but because the writers didn't seem to acknowledge this obscure glitch it wasn't mentioned you can't get hex:FE via trade (without maybe a preparation like 254 HP before trading). I was originally under the impression it was only between Generation I and Generation II games as well.

Incidentally, I remember trading another Pokémon and the game locking up just before it appears out of its Poké Ball, I'm afraid I can't remember which glitch Pokémon it was or if this was an unrelated communication error though.

Sadly it seems there will still be a shift of one byte with FE as the only Pokémon in the party. I tested this with a party that had all of the other Pokémon deposited and FE became Q but interestingly D16A (species byte 2) remained as FE, meaning that in theory you could take it into the Day Care and out again and it would become hex:FE again.

Could you try that please?

Date: 2016-12-24 20:41:14
Yeah, I'll definitely give it a shot, but once I have more time after Christmas. I guess it would kind of make sense that it would be an unstable hybrid. Merry Glitchmas!

UPDATE: I tried what you suggested and it worked! Hex FF became hex FE when I took it in and out of the day care. It's name is still blank and its ID number and OT are still strange, but is a FE nonetheless.

Pics- http://imgur.com/a/ayHPs http://imgur.com/a/PZLpf