Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokedex Entries for Glitchmon- How? - Page 1

Pokedex Entries for Glitchmon- How?

Posted by: jaybug_jimmies
Date: 2016-12-28 20:46:21
This is probably a silly question, but it's something I have never been clear on. Bulbapedia has images of pokedex entries for glitch pokemon other than the ones you can encounter via the Ditto trick. (i.e., ones past index #199) How on earth did they get these images? I've never been able to see glitch pokedex entries for those pokemon through glitching or use of cheating devices. (I can get the pokes via ACE or fossil conversion or etc. but not the dex entries)

Is there a method I can use to see these entries? Or do folks directly hack to accomplish it?

Re: Pokedex Entries for Glitchmon- How?

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-12-29 05:01:16
hax
The entries only show up upon first capture, so…

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-12-29 05:13:31
Every glitch Pokemon can be forced as an opponent by modifying RAM address $CFD8 while already in battle. This can be accomplished without hacking, either with Cooltrainer corruptions or with ACE. Once that's done, it's possible to catch the resulting Pokemon, which will display its Pokedex entry (provided that its Pokedex caught flag isn't already set).
There's also the Expanded Pokedex glitch that makes it possible to see Pokedex entries for several index 199+ glitch Pokemon.

But I'm pretty sure that people don't bother to go through all that trouble and just hack the game to take the images. It's not like the Pokedex entry will be different if obtained legitimately.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-12-29 07:03:11
These are the Pokédex flags for glitch Pokémon with Pokédex numbers 152+ or 000. When an 'own' flag is unset, catching the Pokémon will allow you to view its Pokédex entry.

The 'own' flags for these glitch Pokémon are extrapolated from the last 'own' address (D309 - Own 145-152). From D30A onward are the 'seen' flags for normal Pokémon; hence it is required for most glitch Pokémon with dex numbers over 151 to have seen a specific Pokémon in the Pokédex (such as Cubone for Missingno. #000; or #256) to be able to view its Pokédex entry after catching it.

There are two exceptions re: glitch Pokémon that don't require you to have seen the Pokémon from the above Pokédex flags article.

These are:

1) Glitch Pokémon with Pokédex numbers below 152 but above 000; which require you to have not registered the Pokédex number of the real Pokémon with that dex number. The game registers the real Pokémon but shows a glitch Pokédex entry after catching it.

2) Pokémon No. 152, which actually registers a #152 entry in the Pokédex and requires you not to have the 152nd entry registered. The only glitch Pokémon I know of with this number is (hex:CC) in Japanese Blue.

Posted by: jaybug_jimmies
Date: 2016-12-29 20:21:10
Thank you folks so much for the replies!  :D I didn't even think about the 'seen' flags for certain legit pokes ticking the 'owned' flags for some glitchmon. I started a fresh game and used the Gameshark code to modify the pokemon captured and I got the Dex entries no problem! Super happy, I have a silly little project where I'm editing these to write my own glitchdex entries, so gonna use 'em for that.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-12-30 04:55:20

Thank you folks so much for the replies!  :D I didn't even think about the 'seen' flags for certain legit pokes ticking the 'owned' flags for some glitchmon. I started a fresh game and used the Gameshark code to modify the pokemon captured and I got the Dex entries no problem! Super happy, I have a silly little project where I'm editing these to write my own glitchdex entries, so gonna use 'em for that.

You're welcome! Glad you were able to get the dex entries.  :D Good luck with your project.  :) The only difficulty if you're editing the actual Pokédex entry for a ROM hack is that you may be editing unrelated code and that could cause the game to not work correctly, so you'd have to work around that problem somehow (add code to repoint the dex entry to unused space possibly).