Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Time Capsule exploit typing oddity - Page 1

Time Capsule exploit typing oddity

Posted by: OLDEN
Date: 2017-01-25 22:32:38
So I had my suspicions on whether the Normal/Ground type held by Chisai-u (RB:C1) and several other glitch Pokémon was legit - even though their types are stated as "Type 1/Normal Type 2/Ground" in-game, the internal data for the types of a Pokémon with a Pokédex number of #205 don't seem to correspond to the Normal type or the Ground type at all. I often use Gameshark to expedite glitch research, but since all the glitch Pokémon with dex number #205 freeze the game, I decided to use the Time Capsule exploit to sneak one of those in.

First, I traded over a Hoothoot to my Red save file, resulting in a PC4SH. I then headed over to the Power Plant to test my hypothesis, expecting it to take normal damage from the wild Pikachu's Thundershocks… but surprisingly, it was super-effective! Confused, I did the exploit again, trading a Meganium over and transforming it into Chisai-u. This time, however, Thundershock was not very effective. They're definitely the correct glitch Pokémon, as PC4SH learned Swords Dance and Slam as advertised - they just act like they have the wrong types. It doesn't look like I'm the only one who ran into this problem, as evidenced by the poor schmuck who wrote the 'r 'r 4 article on Bulbapedia - even though it's a pure Fighting-type, the author recorded its type effectiveness as Water, probably because its corresponding Time Capsule Pokémon is Politoed.

My guess is that this is happening because Generation I stores the type of individual Pokémon, for whatever reason, but that's just a guess. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Re: Time Capsule exploit typing oddity

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-01-25 23:33:29
That's likely what happened, yes. The Pokémon's stored type (not ROM type) as you linked is what determines effectiveness in battle; so the (C1) glitch Pokémon may have taken HootHoot's Normal/Flying typing.

Additionally something else to look out for is glitch Pokémon with misleading types. For example, 94/94h are 80h and 88h-typed. This is displayed as Normal/Ghost but there is no resistance to Normal type moves for this combination; unlike the valid equivalent 00h and 08h.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-26 10:24:20
To answer your question, yes, Gens I and II store the types in the Pokémon data structure, mostly for efficiency purposes (the game has to do loads of calculations during battle time, and getting data from ROM takes a ton of time).

So yeah, basically the Pokémon kept the data your previous Pokémon had.
To capture one and not view its Dex entry, you need to have a certain Pokémon already registered as "seen" in the Pokédex. Marking Pokémon #41 in the Pokédex as "seen" should prevent the Dex entry from popping upon capture. You can then use any glitch or GameShark to capture it !

I might be wrong, and the Dex entry might still pop up, and if it does, tell me here, I'll figure out how to safely get one.

Posted by: OLDEN
Date: 2017-01-26 13:58:25

To answer your question, yes, Gens I and II store the types in the Pokémon data structure, mostly for efficiency purposes (the game has to do loads of calculations during battle time, and getting data from ROM takes a ton of time).

So yeah, basically the Pokémon kept the data your previous Pokémon had.
To capture one and not view its Dex entry, you need to have a certain Pokémon already registered as "seen" in the Pokédex. Marking Pokémon #41 in the Pokédex as "seen" should prevent the Dex entry from popping upon capture. You can then use any glitch or GameShark to capture it !

I might be wrong, and the Dex entry might still pop up, and if it does, tell me here, I'll figure out how to safely get one.

It's not the #205 dex entry that freezes the game, though, but the encounter itself. The game freezes before I can actually use any moves or items. (Could be the invalid sprite.) Besides, Pokémon #41 is Zubat, which is common and definitely registered as seen in my dex, so that's not the problem.

Is there a way to restore the original typings of the glitch Pokémon I have?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-01-26 14:19:28
Yes. You can change/restore the original typings of Pokémon 1 with this code:

This code will change the effective in-battle typing but the old type will still be displayed on the Pokémon's summary screen. Type IDs can be found here.

You will need:

Lemonade x (type 1's ID)
Awakening x (type 2's ID)
Carbos x 209
X Accuracy x 112 (x111 in Yellow)
Water Stone x 121
Poké Ball x 119
TM01 x (any)

ld a, xx
ld c, yy
ld h, d1
ld l, 70
ld (hli),a
ld a,c
inc b
ld (hl),a
ret

For  (C1) the values you need are 141 (hex:8D) and 132 (hex:84). It turns out its type is just a glitch type called Normal/Ground, Electric-type moves still hit it and Fighting-type moves may still be 1x effective.  If you use IDs for x00 and x04 however you should get actual Normal/Ground effectiveness.

I hope this helps! :)

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-27 06:27:15
Use the "alternative catch'em all" code (The "BLUE got EEVEE" one) in the beginning of the ACE thread to get the mon if the Dex entry doesn't freeze.