Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

8F - Using Pokemon Blue to Speedrun Pokemon Red - Page 1

8F - Using Pokemon Blue to Speedrun Pokemon Red

Posted by: Cryo
Date: 2017-01-29 22:19:41
Well, kind of. It's not a TAS or even eligible to be one, since it doesn't start from an SRAM reset.

After a crazy amount of effort and debugging, I've finally nailed down a method to beat Pokemon R/B/Y in as little(-ish) time as possible, starting from the point Professor Oak ends his speech. I know I could've just immediately triggered the Hall of Fame entry part (after the whole champion speech), but I wanted to at least make it a little showy.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pUj6u_nv88

Nothing really new here, just wanted to show that it was a thing.

It was also a great learning experience for me, especially since the only way I could get it to fully work on a physical console after cart swapping (without freezing) was to wait until it was in V-Blank. ( ̄ ̄*)

Re: 8F - Using Pokemon Blue to Speedrun Pokemon Red

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-31 06:45:45
We should probably move this to the ACE sub-board. No ?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2017-02-13 04:28:46
Could you link us to more information about the memory editor mentioned in that video's comments?

Posted by: Cryo
Date: 2017-02-13 08:52:23

Could you link us to more information about the memory editor mentioned in that video's comments?

Sure thing, you can find more information on this GCL thread.