Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Item underflow with Missingno glitch help, please - Page 1

Item underflow with Missingno glitch help, please

Posted by: legneck
Date: 2017-01-31 06:16:49
Hello, I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

I was brought here by this https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q4meg/how_to_trick_pokebank_into_thinking_your_gen_1/
I'm more or less completely new to glitches and code in these games, so forgive my ignorance.

My question is, is it possible to use the missingno glitch multiple times within your save file, and how would you go about it? Referring to the reddit post, it suggests using missingno a second time (it seems) to get 119x X Accuracy and 133x Lemonade.

(I looked around a bit before posting and couldn't find anything about this, sorry if it's common knowledge, but help would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!)

Re: Item underflow with Missingno glitch help, please

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-01-31 06:39:21
Precise what you mean by "Missingno glitch". Many glitches exist that allow to duplicate items using Missingno, so we need to know which one you are referring to.
It is also vital that you tell us which version of the game and language you are using. There are lots of differences depending on those.

Once you tell us both of these, we will be able to answer quickly, don't worry :)

Posted by: legneck
Date: 2017-01-31 06:49:00
I believe it would be the Old Man trick? Where encountering Missingno will add +128  to your 6th item.
I've got English Red Version for VC on a 2ds.

Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Posted by: MegaLuxray
Date: 2017-01-31 09:35:21
Encountering Missingno. will always add 128 to the 6th item. The Old Man glitch can be done as many times as you wish, and you can also encounter multiple Missingno. without having to do it multiple times.

Date: 2017-02-01 01:02:04

I believe it would be the Old Man trick?

I don't care. What I care about is

I believe it would be the Old Man trick?

What matters isn't the item duplication, it's the way you encounter Missingno. I probably expressed that badly, but now you know.

I'm then going to tell you everything you should know :
[size=12pt]The Old Man Glitch[/size]
The Old Man Glitch always works. It only depends on your name.
Unlike what most think, it's not due to the island leeching off to the right side, it's due to the game wrongly thinking left shores are grass encounter tiles. Plus some other memory management issues. The more you know.
Anyways, this glitch can be attempted as many times as you want.

[size=12pt]Missingno.[/size]
1. Missingno poses NO THREAT WHATSOEVER to your game. This is a formal statement. However, you can damage your game if you misuse glitches made possible by Missingno., but Missingno. is NO THREAT by itself.
2. There are many different Missingno.s, but unless you are working with really technical glitches, they are all the same. Therefore they are all grouped as one "Missingno." entity.
3. Nintendo lies to you about scrambled sprites. Do you want to fix them ? You have to make a one hour meditational mantra, invert all batteries in their slots, convert to satanism, and then perform a demon-summoning ritual to flip bits in memory. Oh, and watching any Pokédex entry works, too. You know, if you're too lazy for the former.
4. Try to keep track of the quantities of the duped items. This is because quantities 255 are special, and if you don't know how to handle them nothing good will happen.
5. Missingno's item duplication happens both when you encounter one and when you catch it, meaning you can swap items while in-battle and then catch it.
6. 'M is NOT Missingno. it has the same duplication properties, stats and sprite, but it's not the same. For example, when you catch it, you will continue battling against an invisible Pokémon that becomes a Ditto when caught.
7. Displaying Missingno's sprite corrupts Hall of Fame data. You can't do anything about that except have no Hall of Fame data. Entries written after corruption will be normal.

[size=12pt]Crashes[/size]
1. Again, Missingno doesn't crash any game or corrupt save files. But some glitches made possible using Missingno can. So :
    - Be very careful never to have a x255 quantity in your inventory. The game handles those incorrectly with lotsa side effects even to casual players.
    - Avoid duplicating an item that doesn't display a quantity. If you do you're in for a bad time, but I won't spoil it for you :)
2. When attempting the Old Man Glitch, you may encounter glitch Pokémon that will make your game crash. Just save before attempting the glitch, no Pokémon causes game corruption.
3. General rule of thumb : NEVER SAVE if your name is corrupted. Avoid generally saving if something is wrong (sprites being scrambled is fine ^^), this can destroy your save file. Really.

[size=12pt]Version diffs[/size]
The only thing that will change between versions is whether or not Missingno crashes the game, and if the Old Man Glitch works.
Otherwise everything here is valid !

I hope my response is readable. Please, read it : you'll dodge huge amounts of pain and hassle.

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-02-01 03:33:18
This is abosolutely interesting.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-02-01 05:25:50
I'm going to expand a bit of what ISSOtm said.

I'm then going to tell you everything you should know :
[size=12pt]The Old Man Glitch[/size]
The Old Man Glitch always works. It only depends on your name.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071226115844/http://glitchcity.info/misc/namegen2
Our archived tool for generating names.
Unlike what most think, it's not due to the island leeching off to the right side, it's due to the game wrongly thinking left shores are grass encounter tiles. Plus some other memory management issues. The more you know.
Anyways, this glitch can be attempted as many times as you want.

This is also the cause of a optimal route thru the Viridian Forest, where you can skip most encounters there.

[size=12pt]Missingno.[/size]
1. Missingno poses NO THREAT WHATSOEVER to your game. This is a formal statement. However, you can damage your game if you misuse glitches made possible by Missingno., but Missingno. is NO THREAT by itself.

Think of Missingno. like of a backdoor, it doesn't cause harm by itself, but opens up a gate to major game-breaking glitchyness.

2. There are many different Missingno.s, but unless you are working with really technical glitches, they are all the same. Therefore they are all grouped as one "Missingno." entity.
There are 39 normal Missingno.'s scattered around the 151 Pokémon, because 190 were planned originaly, plus 2, Fossil variants.

3. Nintendo lies to you about scrambled sprites. Do you want to fix them ? You have to make a one hour meditational mantra, invert all batteries in their slots, convert to satanism, and then perform a demon-summoning ritual to flip bits in memory. Oh, and watching any Pokédex entry works, too. You know, if you're too lazy for the former.

Nintendo was full of shitty rumors back then…

4. Try to keep track of the quantities of the duped items. This is because quantities 255 are special, and if you don't know how to handle them nothing good will happen.
*couch couch*item underflow*cough cough*

5. Missingno's item duplication happens both when you encounter one and when you catch it, meaning you can swap items while in-battle and then catch it.

PokéDex flags m8.

6. 'M is NOT Missingno. it has the same duplication properties, stats and sprite, but it's not the same. For example, when you catch it, you will continue battling against an invisible Pokémon that becomes a Ditto when caught.
Yay, free Ditto's for everyone.

7. Displaying Missingno's sprite corrupts Hall of Fame data. You can't do anything about that except have no Hall of Fame data. Entries written after corruption will be normal.

The lightest buffer overflow in Gen 1:)

[size=12pt]Crashes[/size]
1. Again, Missingno doesn't crash any game or corrupt save files. But some glitches made possible using Missingno can. So :
    - Be very careful never to have a x255 quantity in your inventory. The game handles those incorrectly with lotsa side effects even to casual players.
As I said earlier, you can cause a item underflow, where the item count rolls over to 255.

- Avoid duplicating an item that doesn't display a quantity. If you do you're in for a bad time, but I won't spoil it for you :)
I did so, and nothing really happened…

2. When attempting the Old Man Glitch, you may encounter glitch Pokémon that will make your game crash. Just save before attempting the glitch, no Pokémon causes game corruption.
That's why I reccomend checking your name, before you accept it.

3. General rule of thumb : NEVER SAVE if your name is corrupted. Avoid generally saving if something is wrong (sprites being scrambled is fine ^^), this can destroy your save file. Really.

If you save while your name is more than 10 characters long, rest in pisseroni.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-02-01 07:00:28
On 255 stacks: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TOSS THE STACK ALL AT ONCE UNLESS YOU ARE PERFORMING ITEM UNDERFLOW. Look up item underflow on the Wiki to see more on that one. (On mobile, can't fetch link without losing all this text)
On fossil variant Missingno.: Fossil variants are used for the Pewter Museum, which is why they have valid sprites.
On names: If your name goes off the menu box in ANY WAY, consider saving off-limits. This includes if a character is on the menu border. Too long of a name overwrites critical data in SRAM thereby giving about 99.96423 or so percent of save corruption.

Date: 2017-02-01 08:29:18

Nothing, until you attempt to put them into your item PC :P

Also, to clarify this

On 255 stacks: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TOSS THE STACK ALL AT ONCE UNLESS YOU ARE PERFORMING ITEM UNDERFLOW. Look up item underflow on the Wiki to see more on that one.

and this

*couch couch*item underflow*cough cough*

Item Underflow is a glitch that allows arbitrary RAM edition when performed correctly, but if done incorrectly it will mess up your inventory. If you don't exactly do any of the two methods given on the wiki things will go wrong for you. Also, even if you perform it right but then edit memory randomly (or aimlessly, which tends to give the same results), you will probably end up getting undesired results.

Also, this is more of a general disclaimer, and isn't specifically said to you :
[size=14pt]We have no responsibility for any damage caused by anything you have done prior to your last save point, including but not limiting to permanent corruption.
We will try to help you fix any damage you have saved if you ask politely, but if we can't and that ruins your save, then don't complain.
We won't accept any complaints due to corruption of danger we warned you from, either.
[/size]
But if you follow the rules of "don't do what we tell you must not" and "don't save if something is wrong", then happy glitching :)

Be twice as careful with 8F. This is one of the few glitches that can corrupt your save file if you mess up. If you ever use 8F but there are unexpected results, or "it didn't work", DO NOT SAVE.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-02-01 08:57:28

Nothing, until you attempt to put them into your item PC :P

Well, nothing, unless you count 2 stacks of Helix Fossils being in my PC.

Date: 2017-02-01 10:08:37

Be twice as careful with 8F. This is one of the few glitches that can corrupt your save file if you mess up. If you ever use 8F but there are unexpected results, or "it didn't work", DO NOT SAVE.
Which is why you save RIGHT BEFORE using 8F or some such.

Posted by: Validusername16
Date: 2017-02-01 14:52:31
If you are going to Item Underflow, don't put a key item in the 6th slot, or you won't be able to deposit all of it in the PC.

Date: 2017-02-01 16:06:08

If you are going to Item Underflow, don't put a key item in the 6th slot, or you won't be able to deposit all of it in the PC.
…erm… you could very well do so, although you probably shouldn't. Key items are treated exactly the same as normal items (with the exception of no quantity counter display and the inability to toss/sell) and they DO have a quantity. You just have to deposit them one at a time.

Posted by: Validusername16
Date: 2017-02-01 18:42:02

…erm… you could very well do so, although you probably shouldn't. Key items are treated exactly the same as normal items (with the exception of no quantity count and the inability to toss/sell) and they DO have a quantity. You just have to deposit them one at a time.

Yeah, but it's not really fun to deposit all 128 of my helix fossils in the pc.

Date: 2017-02-02 05:51:27

…erm… you could very well do so, although you probably shouldn't. Key items are treated exactly the same as normal items (with the exception of no quantity count and the inability to toss/sell) and they DO have a quantity. You just have to deposit them one at a time.

Yeah, but it's not really fun to deposit all 128 of my helix fossils in the pc.

You mean 129 (1 original + 128 duped)