Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Item duplication in Yellow (Japanese VC) - Page 1

Item duplication in Yellow (Japanese VC)

Posted by: Ryusei
Date: 2017-02-08 23:56:20
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and do not have a lot of previous experience in interacting with glitches but I was wondering if I could ask for help for some item duplication.
I play Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console and in the Japanese version (not sure if the language is relevant).
So far, I've tried to do the Ditto glitch with the special stat 31 and once with 50 as well. Each time my game would crash upon encountering missingno.
I've heard some say that it'll crash the game 100% of the time while others say 50%. It's been 100% for me so far.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! =)

Re: Item duplication in Yellow (Japanese VC)

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-02-09 05:52:30
Use a special stat of 182, 183 or 184. These are 100% safe Missingno's for Pokemon Yellow - because the first two are fossil Missingno's and the last one is a Ghost sprite Missingno, so they have normal sprites and not glitched sprites and therefore they don't crash the game in Yellow.

Date: 2017-02-09 09:38:13
Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try. Might be a bit of a challenge to find a Pokémon with Special that high though.

Date: 2017-02-09 11:52:24
It's no challenge at all. Just do trainer-fly, then talk to the person who wants to trade on route 5, when you return to route you will battle a level 80 Starmie which is very close to that 182-184 special stat range, if it's not just give it a few Calciums/Rare Candies and it should be easily.

Read this thread for more info:
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6618.0

Date: 2017-02-09 13:38:06
Not sure if that will work since I am playing on the Japanese version and the Pokémon spawned is based on the nickname of the traded mon's fifth character.
I'll give it a try tonight though! Thanks for the info.

Date: 2017-02-09 14:57:17
Ah, I see. Well if it doesn't, the trick to get a level 100 Nidoking can easily be used for the 182-184 special range with some Calcium help and/or battling with it and using the box trick to increase it's stats.

If the Starmie trick works, this video is helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKpzsp9s0QQ&t=4s for obtaining early master balls so you can actually catch the level 80 Starmie early game. I did this, then got the safe missingnos to appear on my quest to obtain Ws m - which is superior to missingno in every single way because you can do anything with it, not just item duplication. Only takes about 5 hours of setup to get Ws m and it's worth it.

Date: 2017-02-09 18:33:40
Is it possible to access level 100 Nidoking glitch after Brock? I can't seem to find information on it. I think it either requires the guy who drags you back to the gym or the trainer in Brock's gym…I've all my badges already lol
I have a level 100 Nidoking from the beginning though, but his Special has gone beyond 200 by now haha…

Date: 2017-02-09 20:09:52
Ah, I got a Female Nidoran from the Viridian Forest Escape Rope glitch with one of the trainer before Mt Moon.
Then with EXP underflow, it turned into a lv100 Nidorina, then a lv100 Nidoqueen with a Moon Stone.
It had Special of 184 and I was able to encounter the MissingNo Ghost and clone my items.
Thanks a bunch for all your help, man! =)

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-02-10 08:01:09
Just to add info for others that are emulating a non-Japanese gen 1 game, if you download DebugYellow (once ZZAZZ fixes his site, that is) and use TGB DUAL, you can trade a Pokemon to DebugYellow, change its stats, then send it back. Adding extra info to cover other situations is fun, especially when someone playing an English version on PC stumbles into this situation. :P