Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Missingno doesn't work on french versions ? - Page 1

Missingno doesn't work on french versions ?

Posted by: Sykless
Date: 2017-02-22 04:50:34
Hi guys !

I'm playing on the 3DS french version of pokemon Red with the name "Red", and I'd like to duplicate items in order to get 8F.

Unfortunately, right before I'm about to encounter Missingno, my game crashes with an endless *bip* and I need to restart my game. Here are the steps I'm following : Save, talk to the old man, answer no, watch him catch his Weedle, fly to Cinnabar Island and surf on the coast. I can find Ponyta's lvl 164 and Pidgeotto's lvl 26, but at a certain point, before I encounter a Pokemon (I guess it's Missingno), the game crashes.
Note that my 6th item is x1 Rare candy.

I also tried the Ditto glitch with a special of 31, same problem : black screen with the *bip*.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Here's a hint : my save file has been destroyed once, following the same steps as usual. I've seen everywhere than the Missingno glitch is safe, so I guess I must have fucked up.

Or another theory is that the problem is my french version : maybe it only works on US versions.

I'll take any help, either for encountering Missingno or duplicate items without this glitch.

Thank you so much !
(Sorry if I've made english mistakes. :D)

Re: Missingno doesn't work on french versions ?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-02-22 05:56:44
Try the Ditto glitch with special of 182, 183 or 184. These are fossil/ghost MissingNo., so won't freeze on the opponent's side.

Posted by: Unused Trainer
Date: 2017-02-22 06:22:17
This is strange, why only French version?

Posted by: MarcinTVP8
Date: 2017-02-22 07:23:36
Why the crash? The game loads a unusually big sprite, which owerflows into the current sound bank (C0EF) and corrupts the currently used sound bank. I tried turning the Gameshark code 0108EFC0 and it gives it me a glitch trainer. The game crashes soon afterwards with rst 38?, so I suppose this is smilar to 4 4 in Yellow.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-02-22 08:05:02
Yeah, regular MissingNo. may freeze the game on French Red, Italian Red, English Yellow, Japanese Red/Green, Japanese Yellow. The reason for all versions is presumably MissingNo.'s sprite.

Glitch Pokémon that have dimensions of x0 are interpreted as having dimensions of x256, causing trouble when the game attempts to load the sprite. Unless I'm mistaken (?) some sprite pointers can also be problematic even if no dimensions are x0.

In order to work around this you can avoid the sprite, by encountering a Fossil or Ghost MissingNo. via Ditto trick (as Wack0 suggested) or if your save file allows it (CoolTrainer can fail) another way is through activating CoolTrainer corruption with the swapping Transform moves glitch provided that you open the Pokémon menu without any inverted sprites active before activating the corruption. (This is a must; if you don't you may not get MissingNo. or the game may freeze)

After the corruption, capture the Pokémon (which will have transformed into a MissingNo. even though its sprite remains the same) with a ball to duplicate your sixth item.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-02-22 08:11:09
I have THE PAREFECT solution fot you. And, you can trust me : I have that version, and I tested it.

1. Catch a Ditto.
2. Don't teach it anything, just leave it with Transform
3. Send it into a battle
4. Use Transform, make sure it doesn't faint
5. Once transformed, press SELECT on the first move in the ATTAQ menu, then on any other move
6. End the battle, make sure not to teach Ditto any moves
7. Get some Balls. Poké Balls will be good enough.
Note : I recommend you make room into your party then switch your active Pokémon box to a box you never used before
(Otherwise, the least Pokémon simultaneously present in the box, the better)
8. Go into Diglett's Cave B1F
9. Enter a battle, run away from Dugtrios (they seem to work almost never for me :( )
10. Open either the OBJET or PKMN menu, then close it. Make sure you do this before step 11, otherwise you will probably crash
Note : I recommend you open the OBJET menu and place the cursor on the Balls, then close it. It's better for later.
11. Open the ATTAQ menu, you will probably see a jumble of tiles in the TYPE text box. Hold up or down on the D-Pad, which will copy the tiles in the move box (which is otherwise empty)
12. Once the TYPE changes to something containing a lot of "9", the music will start fading out. Begin repeatedly pressing B until the menu closes.
13. Move the cursor to the OBJET menu, and start pressing A until the menu opens.
Note : this might use the item the cursor is on if you mash the button too quick, and I definitely don't recommend you get into the battle, it's… long. But safe :)
14. Use a Ball, which seems to always hit (but there should be at least a 1/256 chance it fails)
15. You caught a Missingno ! This performs the item duplication. Cool !
16. Open the START menu before climbing any ladders.

Date: 2017-02-22 08:38:07
Ah, yes. If you do this Sykless note always to do this it in Diglett's Cave as other places may have the game freeze after battle, and before you exit the cave be sure to open the Start menu at least once.

Posted by: Sykless
Date: 2017-02-22 08:47:44
Thank you so much, it worked !

I guess my Ditto will stay bugged forever, so I can keep using this method if I want to duplicate other objects ? Can I release the Missingno's too ?
You rock.

EDIT : Torchickens I was training a Gengar to use your method before ISSOtm told me how to do it. Thank you yoo !

Date: 2017-02-22 15:12:07

Thank you so much, it worked !

I guess my Ditto will stay bugged forever, so I can keep using this method if I want to duplicate other objects ? Can I release the Missingno's too ?
You rock.

EDIT : Torchickens I was training a Gengar to use your method before ISSOtm told me how to do it. Thank you yoo !

You're welcome!

Yes :). You can theoretically use both the Trainer-Fly (if you have a long-range Trainer/a stack of 255 items) and CoolTrainer methods as much as you want (as long as you fix the corrupted graphics caused by MissingNo. by viewing the summary of a regular Pokémon for the CoolTrainer method).

Sadly CoolTrainer can be unreliable and stop working (this will happen when the game internally finds a hex:50 in its 'random' name, which may not be exactly random; certain locations of the name can repeat it's like once there is a set of random name locations the game keeps using them). If it stops working trying to change the number of hex:50 or decimal 80 bytes in memory is said to help, but in practice I haven't had much luck with it on a save file where CoolTrainer doesn't work.

If it stops working ISSOtm suggested this solution, but they haven't confirmed whether that always works:

1. Empty your party, save for the Ditto
2. Switch to a PC box you never used
3. Encounter a Diglett in Diglett Cave, Dugtrios seem to not work
And if it doesn't work with a Diglett, it should with the next
I have no proof about the working %

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2017-02-23 08:02:17
Hello,

Since you seem to be french I would like to redirect you on our (ISSOtm and I) french Pokémon glitch website: http://www.prama-initiative.com/index.php?page=missingno

As you will see, pixel form MissingNo. freezes the game ONLY WHEN ENCOUNTERED WITH DITTO OR OLD MAN TRICK in French R/B. That means you can have it in Yellow games, but also in R/B as long as you get it with Cooltrainer, DKD, Code Execution, Fossil Conversion, LOL Glitch, or any other Pokémon-getting glitch. You'll find pages on every glitches I mentioned, if you don't know them, on the website (in french) and here (in english). And of course, non-pixel form MissingNo. as mentioned by Wack0 works in every game with every glitch.