Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

F8 Mew - Page 1

F8 Mew

Posted by: PKMN-Trainer Blue
Date: 2017-02-24 18:24:41
Hey guys!  Started playing around with F8 the last couple days for my first time.  I'm trying to glitch a Mew with the correct OT/ID so it can be transferred to Pokemon Sun and Moon and I would also like it to be Shiny.  I managed to get F8 and encounter Mew using F8 rather than the trainer-fly glitch and I managed to change it's DVs and it's OT/ID.  However after the GF for it's OT there is a glitch graphic.

Here is a picture of it for reference;

[img]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/BlueEew/Pokemon%20RED/Mew.png[/img]

I am using the following;

1. Mew
2. Pidgey 233 HP
3. Parasect
4. Onix
5. Tentacool
6. Arbok

1. 8F
2. Any item x89 [Using Masterball x89]
3. Dire Hit x58       
4. Iron x37           
5. X Accuracy x119     
6. Water Stone x62     
7. Burn Heal x50       
8. Poké Ball x43
9. Antidote x43       
10. Protein x62       
11. PP Up x60         
12. Ice Heal x50       
13. Lemonade x133     
14. Great Ball x50
15. Fresh Water x34   
16. TM01 x1

As you may notice from my screenshot I have been doing this on an Emulator as practice.  Does the glitch graphic after the OT matter and would this transfer to S/M or have I done something wrong for this to appear.

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Blue.

Re: F8 Mew

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-02-24 18:38:18
The graphic does matter. As to fixing it, just re-do the method to change to OT and it should be good.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-02-24 18:48:31
Seems the text terminator for the OT was erroneously placed one byte too far.

Date: 2017-02-24 18:51:32
Would this mean the setup I am using is incorrect somehow?  My OT/ID setup is in the OP.

Date: 2017-02-24 19:05:05
The setup seems correct. Just try again.

Date: 2017-02-24 19:15:29
The file is saved where this is still setup and I have tried multiple times.

Edit: Is there any chance this is happening because I'm using an emulator?

Date: 2017-02-25 04:58:14
Send the file.
Which emulator do you use ?

Date: 2017-02-25 10:29:37
I'm using Visual Boy Advance and I have also just tried it on BGB with the same result.  I have attached the save file all ready to use F8.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2017-02-25 20:41:25
Visual Boy Advance is not the best GBA emulator anymore.

Date: 2017-02-26 14:00:20

Which is the best?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-02-26 14:26:58
I remember running into this problem as well.

The problem wasn't an emulator problem but rather it was because there are two PP Ups, with hex:32 being an unused 'fake' PP Up. If you use the unused PP Up the game writes a hex:33 byte to D275 instead of the desired hex:50 terminator, hence the glitchy graphic.

Make sure that the PP Up you have is usable (brings up the Pokémon menu) to ensure it's the hex:4F PP Up, instead of the hex:32 PP Up. This is normally only a problem if you edit the memory or use a glitch like Celadon looping map trick, since the fake PP Up is unused.

Hope that helps!

Which is the best?

BGB is good and features a great debugger. It also supports cart-swap arbitrary code execution via load ROM without reset on the debugger. Apparently BizHawk is accurate as well but I'm not fully sure how accurate it is.

Date: 2017-02-26 14:42:28
Apparently BizHawk is accurate as well but I'm not fully sure how accurate it is.

It uses the emulation core Gambatte, which is on the same level of accuracy as BGB's. Consider BizHawk a debugger-less TAS-capable BGB. (Plus all other emulation cores, but whatevs)
It's the emulator used for TASing, that's telling you how accurate it is :P

Date: 2017-02-27 08:52:17

I remember running into this problem as well.

The problem wasn't an emulator problem but rather it was because there are two PP Ups, with hex:32 being an unused 'fake' PP Up. If you use the unused PP Up the game writes a hex:33 byte to D275 instead of the desired hex:50 terminator, hence the glitchy graphic.

Make sure that the PP Up you have is usable (brings up the Pokémon menu) to ensure it's the hex:4F PP Up, instead of the hex:32 PP Up. This is normally only a problem if you edit the memory or use a glitch like Celadon looping map trick, since the fake PP Up is unused.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!  This was the problem.  I used gameshark codes to quickly gain the items needed on the emulator.  So if I just done this on the VC to start I would of never had this problem xDD.