Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitch Pikachu cries in Yellow - Page 1

Glitch Pikachu cries in Yellow

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-03-23 23:35:01
I'm considering recording all of the glitch Pikachu cries by ID.

If anyone else would like to help, you can enter the following code for ws m.

Valid values only range from 0x00 to 0x29, which leaves the rest of the values as glitch sound clips!

ld e,xx
ld b,3c
ld hl,4000
call 3e84
ret

If we want to represent this with reasonable items, prepare:

Repel x (cry ID)
Poké Ball x 6
Fresh Water x 33
Master Ball x 64
Soda Pop x 45
TM05 x 132
Lemonade x 201

(1e 02 04 06 3C 21 01 40 3d 2d CD 84 3E C9)

Hope this comes useful for anyone else who would like to experiment!  :)

Edit: (Some) may differ depending on the location you play them.

Re: Glitch Pikachu cries in Yellow

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-04-24 19:48:06
I was just playing around with some of these.
https://youtu.be/NwH3Z4cZYEg

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2017-04-26 14:31:29

I was just playing around with some of these.
https://youtu.be/NwH3Z4cZYEg

Your video seems to only demonstrate valid cries. Invalid cries start from hex 0x2A (decimal 42).

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-11-04 19:59:04
*Bumping this to note an observation*

Several months ago, I have a clear memory of attempting this to play invalid Pikachu cries from English Yellow on a certain medium; possibly the 3DS Virtual Console version of Yellow, and the static from the Pikachu glitch cries did not play.

This makes me wonder whether this occurs on the non-emulated mediums (3DS VC counting as an emulator) and if there are differences on a real Game Boy Advance SP/SNES (Super Game Boy)/GameCube (Game Boy Player), having only tested this on an emulator.

I have however encountered glitch Pikachu cries on a physical Game Boy Advance SP, as there is a trick to do it with an Xploder GB (a cheating device by Blaze) that involves pressing A on the title screen and quickly pressing the button on the Xploder to bring up the trainer (technically before the game plays the cry), closing the trainer and spamming A until a glitch cry begins to play.

If there are differences between the different platforms I'd love to make a separate video about this, and it also relates to TheZZAZZGlitch's research recently on 4 4's "true cry".